PS1/2 Why is my PSone doing this D:

Blastoise

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all. Wondering if any of you would be able to shed some light onto why my PSone is doing this. If you could, it would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0txTW7Xq-AA[/youtube]
Also, if you could maybe even tell me what needs fixing up then that would also be appreciated. I'm not afraid of opening it up and tinkering with it a bit (do have experience with this sort of thing)

Thanks!

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It worked before?

When you show the behavior with no disc it's normal, mine does the same it spins two times and the lens try to read the disc between.

But with the disc on it shouldn't do this, it reacts like you don't have a disc...
first try to clean the lens with a Q-tip and very little water on it, be careful not to press too hard, if this don't work you'll probably need to check inside to see if the drive ribbon is correctly connected.

Blastoise

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
boudincaca said:
It worked before?

When you show the behavior with no disc it's normal, mine does the same it spins two times and the lens try to read the disc between.

But with the disc on it shouldn't do this, it reacts like you don't have a disc...
first try to clean the lens with a Q-tip and very little water on it, be careful not to press too hard, if this don't work you'll probably need to check inside to see if the drive ribbon is correctly connected.
A long time ago, yes.

Will try that now!

JinTrigger

Asentrix Studios
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but this sounds very familiar to a problem I had with my psone. Of course at the time I was very young and had no where near the knowledge I had so I just deemed it broken. This sounds like a typical problem. Try youtube

gage85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may sound strange but, insert any game and close the lid without the power on. Flip the PS1 upside down and turn it on. Leave it upside down and see if the game loads. If it does work, I'll let you know what's wrong.

hunter291

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Seems like you have to readjust the laser. If turning your ps1 around (like gage mentioned) solves the problem, you need to readjust the laser. very easy thing to do.

gage85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it could be as simple as adjusting the laser and hopefully it is. If the PS1 is the original model it could be much harder to fix. I've had this problem with multiple PS1s but with the original model, the track in which the laser moves back and forth on can be shaved down which causes the laser to be misaligned. That required me to glue a very thin piece of metal onto the track which I cut from an old floppy disc. I read how to do it exactly on a tutorial I found online a long time ago.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName:
    Next gen will probably be all portable
    Gift
  • T @ trimesh:
    Some things (like Super Famicom games) just feel right when you play them using the original hardware and a CRT
    Gift
    The PS tablet
    Gift
  • mthrnite tempBOT: @ mthrnite
    switches the box from tv to game
    Gift
  • T @ trimesh:
    Not so sure about that - the tendency for "graphics uber alles" tends to lead to very high power consumption
    Gift
    If you look at what's now portability graphics are catching up to console quality
    Gift
    Nintendy is a huge example of not everyone caring about powerful specs most that do will be hardcore PC players anyway
    Gift
  • T @ trimesh:
    The thing is that the IATA rules impose a pretty hard limit of 100Wh on battery sizes for lithium batteries - and it doesn't look like Li is going away soon
    Gift
  • T @ trimesh:
    So if you want (say) 4 hours of runtime you need a maximum system-level power consumption of 25W
    Gift
    Yeah but we already have AAA titles looking fine on tablet form 1080p displays
    Gift
    Human eye can only tell so much of a difference
    Gift
  • T @ trimesh:
    For reference, the PS5 is rated at 350W and the Xbox series X at 275W - and that's console only, without any display
    Gift
    But the future always holds performance never know what the aliens will donate from their left over tech
    Gift
  • T @ trimesh:
    Maybe :) - but batteries have turned out to be a pretty hard problem
    Gift
    Like I said most that will truly care will already be hard core gaming pcers
    Gift
  • T @ trimesh:
    And DF subscribers :)
    Gift
    I bet you could find a neighbor with a ps5 and they'd have no idea what the word spec means
    Gift
  • T @ trimesh:
    Yeah probably - people on forums seem to care a lot, but they are heavily self-selected
    Gift
    Most on forums try to get a good learning of actual tech
    Gift
  • Dark_Phoras @ Dark_Phoras:
    Papaya, so good
    Gift
    Only 13 more titles to go on ps3 yay
    Gift
    I still have a remnant of the taste of the papaya
    Gift
    @KenniesNewName June will come sooner than the end of that process
    Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    PS3 had horrible speeds off the drive
    Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I always wondered why, but I am pretty sure it was trying to reduce costs
    Gift
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always wondered why, but I am pretty sure it was trying to reduce costs