Why is my hard drive keeping my computer from turning on?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Nerdtendo, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Nerdtendo
    OP

Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    Well really it's my friends computer. We're putting it together and it gets power and everything up until we plug in the SATA cable on the hard drive. After that, it won't power on. We've tried two SATA cables and nothing has worked. Any ideas?

2. ry755

ry755 Fox

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    Did you try a different SATA port on the motherboard? Also, do you have another hard drive to try? There could be shorted pins on the hard drive's SATA connector.

3. Nerdtendo
    OP

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    Well we tried the hard drive out of his laptop and after some finesse it started working. I think he just bought a bad hard drive, we'll try again in a second

4. ry755

ry755 Fox

Nov 29, 2017
    United States
    California
    You're trying to use a laptop hard drive in a desktop? That isn't really a problem, but it might make things run slower.

5. Nerdtendo
    OP

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    Just for testing purposes. The actual hard drive is the one not working

ry755 likes this.
  6. Nerdtendo
    OP

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    Well now of course we can't configure bios to run windows probably because bios isn't recognizing any hard drive but it's whatever we're figuring it out.

7. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Use a bootable disc that has a S.M.A.R.T. testing tool on it. Sounds like a bad drive to me.

8. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Is it SATA power or SATA data that hangs the system? If it's power it could also be a short somewhere

9. Nerdtendo
    OP

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    It's SATA power. I think we're gonna take it in to Best Buy

10. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Ok then it's almost DEFINITELY a short. Are you, by any chance, running the hard drive in one of those hot-swap drive cages? And if no, are you using the same cable for both the 2.5" and 3.5" drives?

11. Nightwish

Nightwish GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2013
    Portugal
    Yeah, if connecting something stops it from booting, it's a damaged component. Thankfully, there's a lot of protections that prevent it from from burning the motherboard these days, but stop pushing your luck and trash/return it.

12. spectral

spectral GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2012
    A long shot, but best to rule it out. Are you using any kind of extension cable on the sata power cable to make it reach? Also is the PSU modular? If so make sure its in properly at the PSU end and als that its definitely plugged into the correct port. If th PSU has other sata cables it could be worth trying those too.

Also to make sure, when you say its when the power is connected, does it still fail if the power is connected but no data cable at all is?

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  13. Nerdtendo
    OP

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    Yeah it's gotta be busted. We'll have to see if we can get a refund on it