Homebrew Why is Luma3ds the only maintained CFW as of 2020?

Solution
Or maybe the unity is comforting...? Do you really mean 'saddening' literally, as it makes you feel the emotion of sadness? Geez I hope not.

Sure, there were a bunch of cfws, it makes sense the best and most popular is still active.
Feel free to contribute to rxtools, pasta, corbenik, palantine etc if you want...!

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Or maybe the unity is comforting...? Do you really mean 'saddening' literally, as it makes you feel the emotion of sadness? Geez I hope not.

Sure, there were a bunch of cfws, it makes sense the best and most popular is still active.
Feel free to contribute to rxtools, pasta, corbenik, palantine etc if you want...!

Solution

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
If luma was proprietary and closed source, I could agree, but it's open, you still do have choice in a way. If you don't like a part of it you can remove it in and compile.

I just think of cfw as the key to the 3ds, and once it 'opens' the 3ds, then you have all the choices you want (hacks, homebrew, custom stuff...)
Sure it might be nice, but you don't really need more than 1 key/cfw, once it's open it's open.
It just complicates the scene and community if there are too many different set ups.

Good luck with Python, it's fun!

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same reason Atmosphere is the only open source maintained CFW for the Switch right now. Either it does what everybody wants, or it doesn't but everybody else is too lazy or doesn't have the knowledge to develop their own CFW.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I can only speak on behalf of the Rei-Six team (being that I am the official tester,) and say that development stopped because both @CrimsonMaple and I became far too busy and simply don’t have time to invest in Rei-Six anymore. Both of us are in college and have jobs, coupled with just personal responsibilities. We stopped working on the project when Nintendo appeared to be done updating the 3DS. It turned out that Nintendo wasn’t done but we were done working on Rei-Six. I know many of the devs I have worked with in the past have stopped for similar reasons and also the reason that most people were using Luma3DS and their projects just simply couldn’t compete, even if they weren’t competing.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What Lilith said, also, most devs have moved on to the Switch. Atmosphere is largely people who used to work on the 3DS, Reisyukaku has moved on with ReiNX, CakesFW died long before the Switch came out as it just wasn't anywhere near as good as the alternatives. and RxTools and PastaCFW, well, we all know why those died out.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Actually, currently you could say that we have 3 different CFW available, and these are Luma branches that have a single different feature/improvement themselves:

- Luma pluggin branch for CTGP-7
- luma BPS support branch for Majora's Mask restoration mod and No-WiFi connection.
- Luma 10.0.1

These could be merged in a single version together, but is unknown to me why it hasn't happened as the devs that made those branches have publishedshed they pull requests from long ago.

The real question is: Are the planned features (there is a list on their wiki) still going to be implemented?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: $12 large any style pizza deal