Why is it that backups work...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by SlyGuy, Jul 8, 2007.

Jul 8, 2007
  1. SlyGuy
    OP

Member SlyGuy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I thought they went hand in hand like with the NDS

2. Sonicandtails

Member Sonicandtails GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Because without the proper coding and such you cannot boot the DVD through the Wii. Current modchips don't boot DVDs, they are only drivehacks that trick the Wii into thinking it is a legit disc, merely bypassing whatever it uses to tell them apart.

And even if you say edited code in a previous backup to try and insert homebrew, you would need to know how the Wii reads data correctly and would have to know where it reads the checksum.

All this and more could be found out with a next generation modchip, but for now we wait.

3. SlyGuy
    OP

Member SlyGuy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    So you think we'll need a different modchip to run homebrew? That would be disappointing for people like me who purchased and installed one already. I'd really love to see the homebrew scene kick-off on the Wii. DS is great but I would love to see some homebrew multiplayer games for the Wii made by dedicated fans. To the programmers and hackers out there, you guys are great! Thanks for your hard work!

4. RobertsD

Member RobertsD GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes, for homebrew on the Wii, a different chip will be needed.

5. chuckstudios

Member chuckstudios Putting the pro in procrastination

United States
    It's really more a deal of encryption. If the encryption were cracked, it would be possible even with current mods. Unfortunately, it will likely be easier to just circumvent the encryption.

6. Bram Stoker

Newcomer Bram Stoker Member

Wii DVD data is encrypted by a public/private key scheme. The Wii ISO's you download are already encrypted.

Nintendo authorized DVD master publishers got the private key, and only they can encrypt DVDs. Cracking keys seem to become more a reality with todays modern computing devices (like Folding@Home with PS3's), but it's unlikely this will happen.