Homebrew Why is it so complicated to run NDS-Roms on 3DS?

Memfis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If I insert a NDS Game into my 3DS it runs without any modifications. Why is it so complicated to run a normal NDS-Rom and why isn't there a converter like fpr SNES Games to make a installable cia-file?

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Because NDS games are hard coded to read and write to Slot-1. We already have nds-bootstrap if you want to play them from your SD. If you want icons on the home menu you can create forwarders. Just know that these are installed to TWLNAND, so space is limited.

Last edited by Joom,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Is there an injector like for SNES Games? I like injectors. They are so fast and user-friendly
There have been no DS games released as VC for the 3DS. There was a source port of a DS to DSi from Nintsndo, but that’s about it.
You really only have two options for DS games, unless Nintendo makes a VC DS game. Which is doubtful this late in the game

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Other easy way to make a cia-file?
Rewording the same question over and over won't magically bring the solution.
Flashcard for best compatibility, bootstrap for poor compatibility but working from SD card.

Memfis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Rewording the same question over and over won't magically bring the solution.
Flashcard for best compatibility, bootstrap for poor compatibility but working from SD card.
OK, question was poorly formulated. I mean: Why isn't it possible to dump a NDS-game like a 3DS game?

Yumirou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
OK, question was poorly formulated. I mean: Why isn't it possible to dump a NDS-game like a 3DS game?

Because NDS games are hard coded to read and write to Slot-1. We already have nds-bootstrap if you want to play them from your SD. If you want icons on the home menu you can create forwarders. Just know that these are installed to TWLNAND, so space is limited.
Your question has been answered in one of the first replies. :P

Have you tried this?
It's as easy as it gets.

As a member has already said. This method is the easiest one available. I recommend TWloader.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why isn't it possible to dump a NDS-game like a 3DS game?
It's certainly possible to dump DS games "as easily as" 3DS games (the other definition of "like" = "in the same way" is wrong since the way the cards communicate with the system are different)

It's also possible to easily convert game dumps (nds/srl, cci/3ds/3dz) to an installable format, and install them...

However as said above multiple times, retail DS games are not designed to run from any other storage and so will still try to load from slot-1, so virtualizing the games is necessary - and nds-bootstrap does exactly that, with mixed results

---

As for the original question, I don't find anything complicated in using a $20 r4ids.cn (or a $6 original R4) to play DS games with excellent compatibility and full performance. With saves that automatically follow me on any console!

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, same