Why is everyone in such a rush to update to 4.0?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by deceptica, Mar 26, 2009.

Mar 26, 2009
  1. deceptica
    OP

Newcomer deceptica Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Wiibrew has warned not to update (as have other sites/people), yet so many people here are rushing in and updating anyway.

I don't see any need to update until it's confirmed safe. 3.2E firmware works great. Am I missing something? Who else is watching with some amusement at all the people updating and then reverting.

2. sunnytimes

Member sunnytimes GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    people want to update so they can play games from the SD , makes sence to me... not everyone is a white hat who cares what wiibrew says :]

3. Flawsdraw

Member Flawsdraw GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    well i'll be updating due to the fact i dont use homebrew on my Wii, strictly only play downloaded games (full ISO not scrubbing etc) so 4.0 dont bother me

4. roku93

Member roku93 GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    You don't see the benefit? Have you even read the changelog? This is the biggest update for wii in ages.

5. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    Just wait 'till they say it's clear to update, THEN you'll see even more people rush. Haha.

6. magic12

Member magic12 GBAtemp Regular

Croatia
    They want to play 200 games at the same time [​IMG]

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I side with deceptica.
    SDHC has been there for months now and the game thing is nothing but wadmanager* with a pretty UI and less screen space for it.

*before anyone says "but I buy my games" I say good for you, how does that change anything?

8. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I'd update if it didn't leave cIOS as the only backdoor. On 3.2 with everything fakesignable I feel just fine.

9. pebls123

Member pebls123 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Isn't that what waninkoko's updater does? updates but leaves the fakesigning bug on all IOSes since it only get the new things like ios 60, 61 and shop channel.

10. mk123a

Newcomer mk123a Advanced Member

there is no reason not to update to 4.0 --- unless you really care about bricking due to installing unknown wads bc there is no starfall or preloader...but the more I think about it..the ppl that are usually updating are those that want the storage from SD to put all their install wad VC and WW titles...so all the ppl who are not updating due to fear and paranoia of bricking, the ppl who are actually installing all those wads have a higher chance of bricking than you.

11. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Well, before 4.0, you couldn't play store-bought Wiiware and VC games from SD. Now you can. How is this not a good update? If you never buy them for whatever reason, maybe you don't care. Besides, The only people really who are having huge issues with this update are the pirates (if I see another post complaining because someone can't run a pirated game from the SD card I'm going to bash my head into the wall). Homebrew Channel still works just fine, and that's enough for me given that I don't care about piracy. Now, I'll admit I used cIOS and the IOS downgrader to downgrade my IOS after installing 4.0, but that's mostly so I can have an out to 3.2 if for some reason I need it (for example, if BootMii's installer won't work on it, though I think it's pretty unliklely that Twiizers doesn't have something up their sleeve).

12. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    ...Dude, you can run pirated WiiWare from the SD... none of my WiiWare games are store bought and they play just fine from the SD... I updated using Waninkoko's updater and a separate IOS60 that allowed for unofficial wads to be played from SD. The only thing I miss right now is the ability to NOT have to use the rebooter from Gamma and just load my games from the Disc Channel. Besides that, everything is working great!

13. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    "run from SD".
    It was my understanding that it is just a hidden copy mechanism and from what I read not even a very good one (no reserved space* so juggling is still a possibility).
    Re "legit", who cares; pirates do not and those that pay still get the warm and fuzzy feeling that they were not forcing lone coders to auction their offspring to terrorists or whatever the party line is this week. Granted you may have to either pack it up or download it from somewhere else yourself but given the hoops I see people jump through for general wii stuff it is not beyond that.

*I am willing to concede that the space would be wasted like my virtual memory were it to exist and juggling is a preferable alternative.

14. Yoshimashin

Member Yoshimashin Penguin Spy

United States
    I dont know if its just my mind playing tricks on me, but when I got my Wii at version 3.4U then downgraded it to 3.2U for the softmod, the visuals in games looked a lot blurrier. If this really did happen I want to go to 4.0 ASAP.

15. layzieyez

Member layzieyez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    But it doesn't really "run" from the SD card does it? It just automates the process of writing to NAND from SD. Flash memory corrupts eventually. Until it's 100% running from SD/SDHC (which I can cheaply replace if corrupted) as opposed to rewriting to NAND, I'm staying away from this.

16. Shinigami Kiba

Member Shinigami Kiba GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
    I'm in no hurry, it is awesome to be able to run WiiWare and VC "from the SD card" but hey, bit trip beat and everything else works on my Wii right now, 002 games work, everything is perfect so why fix what isn't broken.

I can and I WILL wait for a crack, plus I can't legally buy WiiWare and VC games even if I wanted to since Nintendo don't support my country.

17. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    Actually that half-assed implementation is sufficient, it does cache the last played game (maybe two or more don't know) if you keep playing that game and switch it to another after a few days that will not be much of a problem in terms of limited nand writes...

So one should organize his channels so that most frequently used ones are always in the nand... and move the now never used channels to sd periodically...

18. EriktheRed

Newcomer EriktheRed Member

United States
    Why are people so paranoid about the NAND exceeding the maximum write cycles? Do you never save your game? Because saving games frequently is just as detrimental to your NAND as caching the games. A write cycle is a write cycle, regardless of whether it's a 2-block save file or a 300-block wiiware game. By the time you wear out the internal memory, we'll have full operating systems built on external drives thanks to BootMii anyway. The FUD about flash memory write cycles is overblown as it is, please don't make it worse by complaining about Nintendo's (admittedly half-assed) storage solution.

19. Goshogun1

Member Goshogun1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I am not going to update yet, but VC games really take up a lot of space on the internal memory. I only have one page worth, and I am maxed out, with only enough room for Wii game saves. This alone is enough reason to update IMO. This update ensures that you will never run out of space.

20. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    If there is a special filesystem for nand trying to divide the load equally among the chip's logical storage blocks then yes there is a concern there about 1 block write compared to 300 blocks write...

So if you install lots of games and play them sequentially, you'll cause much more wear on the nand compared to saving games...

I don't think wearing of the flash memory devices with heavy use is a bullshit...

And if you own the games legally then probably you won't encounter this at all... if you are a pirate then you must use the feature wisely...

ps: wrong facts, after powering off and powering on, cache is cleaned... lame...