Homebrew Why is everyone betting on Softmod for DSi?

Dookieman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why everyone is betting that there will be a softmod for the DSi? This most likely won't happen! Everyone is discounting the most obvious thing to come out first, before a softmod. There will probably be a cart similar to the DS out first. Once the DSi carts are out in the market, the carts hackers will be able to reverse engineer them to get their carts to act as DSi carts. I have no idea why everyone is 100% sure a softmod will arise in the near future. Software hacks are rare, and most of the time lead to nothing.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Dookieman said:
I don't understand why everyone is betting that there will be a softmod for the DSi? This most likely won't happen! Everyone is discounting the most obvious thing to come out first, before a softmod. There will probably be a cart similar to the DS out first. Once the DSi carts are out in the market, the carts hackers will be able to reverse engineer them to get their carts to act as DSi carts. I have no idea why everyone is 100% sure a softmod will arise in the near future. Software hacks are rare, and most of the time lead to nothing.

my answer is short... thanks to what we have got from wii
this is why we see people talk about HBC pretty often
basically they are expecting the same to happen on DSi
smile.gif

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Basicly, GBAtemp is being overrun by noobs {mainly 8 year old kids from the looks of it} who{se parents} can't buy {them} all the games they want.
{After discovering that tantrums don't work, they turn to piracy.} Cause they can't even buy a hardmod (i.e. flashcard) they instead decide to spam the fuck out of GBAtemp with their solutions.
It started with Wii and Waninkoko (now theres more loaders ect...) now its DSi... who knows where it'll go next?
All I can say though, is that softmods are generally unreliable and hardmods (flashcards, chips ect...) work on 99% of things.

I just ignore them.

Dookieman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply's. I totally agree. Since the Wii has found ONE softmod that works, (and only recently found a second one, and it took both a LONG time to develop properly) everyone is betting that a DSi will come out whenever the DSi game is out. Its annoying how alot of people talk as if there is a softmod in the works already. There isn't.

soulbad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, all of the current gen systems, except the PS3, are usually softmodded; hardmods are usually seen as the lesser choice. As far as I've seen the DS is the only system that utilizes hardmods(though I don't really know if you can call a flashcart a mod) primarily.

I don't see it as an impossibility that a DSi softmod may be discovered in the future, maybe not the near future but sometime.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would consider flashcarts still a soft mod. A hard mod is where you have to add or otherwise change something inside the unit physically.

Soft mods are easier than hard mods for that reason. Which brings you back to noobs......

James_Wulfe

Trophies
Website
okami-designs.ath.cx
XP
Country
United States
Flash carts would be considered a hard mod in my opinion, as in such the title implies hard (meaning hardware) mod and soft (meaning software) mod which I do understand where your coming from as its the carts software that makes it possible to "hack" your DSi but without the cart (hardware) itself it would not be possible. As for a soft-mod in the future of a DSi, I can see with its SD slot incorporated into its structure that this may give in to the possibility of a mod in the future, but I would not hold my breath for one this year or even the next.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The reason people are betting on a softmod is because of the type of system it is. DS had no storage built in, no memory card slot, no real operating system/firmware to hack. DSi has all of those and those are the staple features of a softmoddable system. Most home consoles have softmods, because they have storage for game saves, and more so now, music and videos, and sometimes games, so there is somewhere to store homebrew to be accessed by softmod. DS did not have this, so a softmod wouldn't have worked. Once it was softmodded, you would still have needed a storage device (i.e. hardmod) for somewhere to put the homebrew. Also it had no real operating system/firmware worth talking about, so there was nothing TO softmod. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but it made sense in my head. Anyway, I believe there WILL be a softmod for DSi. And what you said about only recently there was a second softmod for the Wii - only recently did Nintendo block the OLD softmod, so there was no need for a new one previous to this. There was no point bringing out a dozen new softmods when the old one still works, as that means Nintendo can patch them all. This way, there will be more possible softmods when they are needed.

LxTrix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically a system you don't have to open is a soft mod. So the flash cart is a soft mod. The only difference is you aren't doing the hacking yourself.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You people are so silly... The op is the silliest of all. Softmods rare? Every current gen system out has a softmod (with the PS3, it's not to the point of playing backup PS3 games, but you can use DVD mager to play PS2 backups).

Even the DS itself started out with softmods (flash me) so it's definitely not going beyond means to look for a softmod for DSi.

As for soft mod versus hard mod... Software modification is when you use software to modify a system. Hardware modification is when you use hardware. So in the example of flash cards... it really depends on how you look at it. I think it's safest to call it a hard mod because you do have to use additional hardware to meet your goals for the device. Though often times hard mods use software exploits which makes things even more complicated.

Dookieman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
koji2009 said:
You people are so silly... The op is the silliest of all. Softmods rare? Every current gen system out has a softmod (with the PS3, it's not to the point of playing backup PS3 games, but you can use DVD mager to play PS2 backups).

Even the DS itself started out with softmods (flash me) so it's definitely not going beyond means to look for a softmod for DSi.

As for soft mod versus hard mod... Software modification is when you use software to modify a system. Hardware modification is when you use hardware. So in the example of flash cards... it really depends on how you look at it. I think it's safest to call it a hard mod because you do have to use additional hardware to meet your goals for the device. Though often times hard mods use software exploits which makes things even more complicated.

Yes, they are rare. After THREE years they found three exploits for the Wii and there are how many games for the Wii? That averages out to be about one softmod a year. The DSi has been out for how long? A couple months? So it obviously isn't going to be soon. The PS2 took years before a softmod was released. I'm not saying that there will not be a softmod for the DSi, it just gets irritating how people say there is a softmod in the works or softmod this, softmod that when it is only in the initial stages of being hacked.

My other point was the people are betting on a softmod, when most likely a flash cart will be released first. People here assume once a DSi enhanced game is released, BAM! a softmod will be out in a week. Not going to happen. A softmod is entirely possible to come out, just not first or soon.

Nottulys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know, the PSP has had a few softmods since its release. If anything, it will start out as a "hello world", little thing, then eventually, possibly, *hopefully, a custom firmware for the DSi (reading games off SD cards and whatnot).

kennypu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
I would consider flashcarts still a soft mod. A hard mod is where you have to add or otherwise change something inside the unit physically.

Soft mods are easier than hard mods for that reason. Which brings you back to noobs......
Flashcarts would be hard mods. Hardmods are mods that require a piece of 'hardware'(thus the name hardmod), to be attached/replaced on to the console/device for some type of exploitation to happen. Flashcarts are needed to enable homebrew/backups, so its a hard mod.
Softmod is where you use certain software/programs OR temporarily attach a special hardware to a device to enable sometype of feature. So the Wii, requring a SD card and twilight princess temporarily, would be a softmod. Same goes with PSP using the magik and pandora.

However ofcourse, softmods tend to be safer to put in/use, but less stable, while hardmods are very stable and useful most of the time, but if things go wrong, it can seriously go wrong.

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Would you guys like to stop arguing about if its a softmod or a hardmod? It doesn't matter anyways. The dsi is like a portable wii. It has all the things a system menu, shop channel, dsiware. With that said its more like logical somewhat.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Softmods are rare only because they don't need to be so common. If hackers just went around finding exploits and releasing them, Nintendo (or whoever) will create a fix and wipe them all out in a single update. It is far better to do them one at a time, so when a fix is forced upon people there is still a chance to get around it. Most systems have at lease one working softmod available, I don't see the DSi as being much different, it might take a while for the first one to show up, but after that I bet there will be a couple of exploits that will stay hidden until they are needed. As for flash carts, I consider those to be neither soft nor hard mods, but a soft of hybrid 'medium' mod.

Mienk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad I didn't wait for a softmod and picked up my Acekard 2i for a measly $18.

I do have to say that what these guys are trying to come up with in regards to the homebrew channel does look pretty spiffy though.

LxTrix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bet those of you arguing about hard mods and soft mods would like to turn eachothers softys hard. fags

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb