Why is every major dev of the Switch scene pissed about Xecuter's work?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Stercate79, Jan 3, 2018.

1. SonowRaevius

SonowRaevius GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2013
    United States
    Considering the rental services have to buy the games I would say they do.

Also, if we are going to go down this route then we should make it so games are locked to an account whether it be physical or digital...you know like Microsoft tried with the XB1. I mean, what's stopping me from trading a game in or letting a friend borrow it. They aren't making money off those either.

Not to be mean, but maybe think a little more before you type a message next time.

Pandaxclone2 likes this.
  2. MaverickWellington

MaverickWellington No.

Nov 24, 2017
    United States
    Do rental services even exist anymore?

3. SonowRaevius

Feb 26, 2013
    United States
    Gamefly and Redbox exist and do quite well. I even use them from time to time to scope out games I might be interested in to see if they are worth buying. Gamefly themselves even have a deal that, if you like a game and want to keep it (new or old) you can then buy it from them at a discounted price.

Last edited by SonowRaevius, Jan 4, 2018
  4. SG854

SG854 Honor

Feb 17, 2017
    Colombia
    There was the whole Nintendo and Blockbuster debacle back in the day.
    And Nintendo nearly got close to ending video game rental services for all of America.

If game devs weren't loosing money then why the legal battles. They even sued Blockbuster for making copies of video game manuals.
    Not a stupid thing I said.

5. Stercate79
    OP

Stercate79 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 25, 2016
    United States
    The only "meh" thing about this Xecuter stuff is that the Switch scene will miss the, you can call it, rising climax-hype that we had with Wii U and 3DS.
    Like going and waiting through every security layer, it was cool.

DarthDub likes this.
  6. SonowRaevius

Feb 26, 2013
    United States
    I didn't say what you said was stupid and I am sorry if you took what I said in that manner, but that you should put more thought behind your post, my apologies again as I wasn't trying to come off as rude.

Also, Nintendo use to be really scummy back in the day, I think some devs even had choice words about the things they had to while working with Nintendo and they did try to put a stranglehold on the gaming market back in the day. They weren't losing anything they just wanted to boost sales and in the end they even lost the case with the only thing being changed was the fact that Blockbuster could no longer print manuals. That is also why you don't see anyone else going after things like Gamestop, Gamefly, or Redbox anymore.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Because they weren't making as much money as day 1 sales might have netted them, and could be argued to have some kind of drag on said day 1 sales too (how many reviews ended with solid rental). To an accountant such a thing is plain as day (you make £500 but if you instead could have done something else and earned £1500 for the same input and you have lost £1000 really), and the only thing more odd is revenue generation vs expense (ever wondered why the sales department gets all the toys where IT is like the power bill really and you get to make do with the pittance afforded you).
    The manuals thing is probably because if you lose in one way you make their life harder in another, especially if the action is going to make their service more appealing.

8. MaverickWellington

MaverickWellington No.

Nov 24, 2017
    United States
    I always assumed that rental companies have to pay fees to the companies that make the game or something. Do they really just not have to pay any?

9. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    to be fair here team x has released things for free before

10. thomasnet

thomasnet GBAtemp Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    France
    If they have a good opportunity to make money, especially if they're the first on the market, I don't know why won't they take it.

Look at GW for example.

Last edited by thomasnet, Jan 4, 2018 - Reason: Typo
  11. SonowRaevius

Feb 26, 2013
    United States
    From what I know, and this is from at least knowing people that worked at old school video rental services, they would buy the copies of the game and then loan them out for a fee to make back the money or resell them for a lesser price after a while.

I don't know if it is the same with gamefly or redbox, but I would assume so, I might be wrong however as I have no idea on their inner workings, but it seems to work the same way as old school rental services.

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    What goes depends where you are in the the world.
    If the US flag is accurate then circa 1990 things happened
    https://www.copyright.gov/reports/software_ren.html

13. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    i knew someone that had one of those eprom readers for their 2600 back in the way day
    it had one of those little green zif sockets with the handle to lock it in place and plugges in the middle slit in the 2600's cart slot
    i remember being amazed at the tiny eprom chips especially at the ones that had the little fish eye glass window so you could see the chip

14. tataniko

tataniko Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2016
    Antarctica
    - Planet Earth -
    Own nothing. You need to understand your responsibility for me.

15. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    It's not the fact that its piracy,it's the fact that its coming out so early.

wicksand420 likes this.
  16. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    How soon is too soon? I mean, really.

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  17. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    A 1 year kernel exploit on the latest firmware on a wiiu successor is pretty damn early.

wicksand420 likes this.
  18. MaverickWellington

MaverickWellington No.

Nov 24, 2017
    United States
    Is it even piracy, though? On top of that what does it matter when it comes out?

DarthDub likes this.
  19. Soluble

Soluble GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 12, 2017
    Xbox 360 piracy was within the first year! And the most successful console of that generation.

20. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    A year after the console release is far better than a year before the consoles EoL...

Not to mention you're implying some harm here.

DayVeeBoi likes this.