Why is every major dev of the Switch scene pissed about Xecuter's work?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Stercate79, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    What I'm confused about is why everyone is just saying this is for piracy...The RGH chips TX released for the 360 wherent for piracy at all, they were simply to allow us to run unsigned code, and whatever people than did what that code was their business but there were a plethora of great things developed with piracy aside with that glitch chip.

You're all thinking way too small just because you want to whine and be ungrateful.

Think of what you can do with this now that we can run unsigned code on any firmware.

Zelda BOTW mods like we have on CEMU

Binding of Isaac mods.

Custom Themes

Custom MK8 tracks....

The possibilities are endless all we need are developers which is also what TX is opening up the switch too. Its a lot easier for a scene to pick up developers and growth if its easily accessible by a lot of people. This is one of the reasons the PSP scene floursed so greatly and also why the xbox 360 scene picked up so much steam so quickly.

Open your minds and get out of the mindset that everyone is out to get everyone and that the world is evil. This isn't TX's first rodeo and we should be thankful they even have something this big that they are sharing.

Yes they will charge for it. But if you countless hours working on something, wouldn't you like to be compensated in some way? Life isn't free. Most of us have to work for a living.

Now this isn't to say that this isn't what Plutoo and his team had in mind either. But can you honestly say a console that has to be on 3.00 or below has as much of a audience as the newest firmwares? Thats like being mad at developers for focusing game development on Windows which has ~90 of the market share opposed to focusing on developing games for linux..it wouldn't make sense to focus on the smaller margin and than be mad when the larger margin is getting more attention.

DarthDub, Cybernatus, Riyaz and 4 others like this.
  2. Pandaxclone2

Pandaxclone2 Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist

Aug 17, 2015
    Australia
    noun; a particular place or position.
    Perhaps it's simply to do with ethics in the brew scene? The community devs aren't asking for any money for their work, and they may be actively withholding a major exploit not only for prolonging it in future updates, but also to prolong piracy from touching the Switch as long as they can. Team Xecuter on the other hand are throwing out whatever they've made and are putting a price-tag on it through hard-mod means, and may be doing so regardless of the consequences (possible access to piracy.)

Now I'm not saying you can't charge money for hard work that you put in, but if it means throwing the Switch under the bus and letting people pirate games instead (which given the price tags would be highly appealing) then it's probably not the smart or the right thing to do. That's what I think the community devs are upset about.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2, Jan 3, 2018
  3. mustafag32g

mustafag32g GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 30, 2014
    Argentina
    Lol they wont get no more attention! And it is better that way! Teasing "look at me I can code" get the fuk outta here

isoboy likes this.
  4. djp-AKA-bionic

djp-AKA-bionic Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2018
    United States
    is that you mastag? you still in LV?

5. blujay

blujay GBATemp's Official Warthog

GBAtemp Patron
    blujay is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    I strongly believe that the majority of users in this forum confuse coding with exploit development. Coding is by far a lot easier than exploit development, so they shouldn't be comparing the two. Now, exploit development requires the use of coding; however, it requires more than just coding.

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    No doubt they will have their uses that fall under things a judge would describe as substantial non infringing uses, and things which the DMCA exemptions list for all sorts of other non game console devices, but let us not kid ourselves.

7. yardie

yardie Banned

Banned
    Mar 27, 2016
    United States
    you did a poor job of explaining the difference between coding and exploiting

come on

try again

8. blujay

blujay GBATemp's Official Warthog

GBAtemp Patron
    blujay is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Gilbert, Arizona
    To be honest, I don't know enough about exploiting to tell the difference. I just know that exploiting requires a lot more knowledge and experience with machines than programming does.

9. tunip3

tunip3 [debugger active]

Oct 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    What do you mean dead end they're is piracy but it is private for now and is software based for now

10. Cubuss

Cubuss Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2017
    Netherlands
    High Quality Shitposter

Lol whut?

11. tunip3

tunip3 [debugger active]

Oct 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    I don't get that if team xecuters option is a cfw with support for newer versions and homebrew then I'll buy it I can only afford 1switch but I have money for a game every few months and I got SMO and had to update but I still want homebrew

12. mustafag32g

mustafag32g GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 30, 2014
    Argentina
    What is LV?

13. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    France
    I love their work, but their mentality about that always piss me off, like, modding always been part of videogame industry, as piracy (and also cheat devices such as action replays and gamesharks).
    But for them, since the Wii era, we should NEVER buy a modchip or a dongle to mod our consoles, i don't get it.

14. snoofly

snoofly GBAtemp Fan

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    nascent hacking scenes are fucking awesome — always have been — love it

15. SG854

SG854 Did you say something?

Feb 17, 2017
    Mozambique
    From Planet Spider
    How to Cleanse Your Body After Eating Too Much Salt

16. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    That's the most sensible post I've read in this thread so far, I'm kind of surprised at the stuff said here.

17. MaverickWellington

MaverickWellington No.

Nov 24, 2017
    United States
    Can't wait for the whiners to drop out and the talented to actually make stuff as competition and/or as a hobby. People who care too much about who was first clearly don't have the best intentions for the community or even the stuff they're hacking, they just want attention, and that's no good.

DarthDub, cvskid, Ra1d and 3 others like this.
  18. tataniko
    This message by tataniko has been removed from public view by Issac, Jan 4, 2018, Reason: shitposting.
    Jan 3, 2018
  19. Maluma

Maluma GBAtemp Regular

Sep 26, 2016
    United States
    Aggressive spree? Didn't you assault someone because they made fun of you? People here aren't being aggressive,most are happy team X is coming up with a solution to their needs.

20. smf

smf GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 23, 2009
    Are you assuming that team executor has such mad skillz they produced this after just seeing the presentation?

To me it sounds more plausible they were already working on it and just announced it to avoid people paying lots of money for a hackable switch.

It wasn't really in the Atari 2600 days. A handful of people had eprom burners, but eproms were pretty expensive. It's only recently that I've even seen evidence of piracy back then. The nes saw pirate cartridges, but people weren't generally pirating themselves. The snes era was when backup devices started showing up, "please load floppy disk #12".....

Last edited by smf, Jan 4, 2018
  21. SonowRaevius

SonowRaevius Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 26, 2013
    United States
    Actually a lot of people do. I know people that have gamefly memberships just so they can try games and then buy them later. I know people that pirate 3DS games until they can afford them and if they like them they buy them later.

The only people that believe that no one tries before they buy are people that are dealing in absolutes of right and wrong.

DayVeeBoi likes this.
  22. MaverickWellington

MaverickWellington No.

Nov 24, 2017
    United States
    I can confirm this personally. Unless the game is F2P, I have pirated every single game in my steam list (besides stuff I play the betas of like DUSK)

https://i.imgur.com/bKClqLV.png
    https://i.imgur.com/vk1R5mu.png
    https://i.imgur.com/1X569Z8.png

To say no one tries before buying is incredibly dishonest, because piracy is a great way to try a game before buying it in the age of games without demos. Not to mention games that aren't available digitally or legitimately physically, or games where the current owners of the IP would mean that the original devs would see absolutely zero compensation for their work (EG Doom 1 where only like one guy outside of the whole team would get money and even then he doesn't deserve it but that's a whole other argument.)

tl;dr that guy's a liar

DarthDub and Pandaxclone2 like this.
  23. SG854

SG854 Did you say something?

Feb 17, 2017
    Mozambique
    From Planet Spider
    Do game devs get money from Video Game rental services? If not then they are loosing money.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice