Homebrew Why is Anemone recommended instead of Themely?

Most-Wanted

3D OLED TV'S /o/
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Been away from the 3ds seen for a month or so, Themely seems perfect so why is 3ds.guide now recommending Amenone?
Also noticed the recommendation for save files "JKSM" has also changed to Checkpoint "which causes problems if you have a flashcart in your ds" , idk why either

Last edited by Most-Wanted,

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
because Themely went Close Source, and people like to know what code they are running
True, but then again, most people don't care or don't have the knowledge to understand said code and you can just use an older version of Themely just fine, it's not like you need to update it to the latest ones:P

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, but then again, most people don't care or don't have the knowledge to understand said code and you can just use an older version of Themely just fine, it's not like you need to update it to the latest ones:P
Okay, but he was simply answering the OP's question.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Been away from the 3ds seen for a month or so, Themely seems perfect so why is 3ds.guide now recommending Amenone?
Also noticed the recommendation for save files "JKSM" has also changed to Checkpoint "which causes problems if you have a flashcart in your ds" , idk why either
From Checkpoint's latest release "Notice: You mustn't have a flashcard inserted when launching Checkpoint, due to possible incompatibilities that could cause some threads to not end, possibly causing crashes.". I have underlined the reason.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

The guide has become, be it intentional or not, the go-to one-stop-shop for 3DS hacking which is constantly updated to provide the optimal setup for as many subsets of people as possible. When there is an alternative which provides the core function AND additional beneficial features which do not retract from another subset of their users, it would only be logical to change it.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Even disregarding the closed source thing IMO anemone just works better and has more features. In anemone you can take a BGM from one theme and use it with any other theme for example. Which is very cool.

Reactions: Hopalongtom

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The guide has become, be it intentional or not, the go-to one-stop-shop for 3DS hacking which is constantly updated to provide the optimal setup for as many subsets of people as possible. When there is an alternative which provides the core function AND additional beneficial features which do not retract from another subset of their users, it would only be logical to change it.
I get that, but what more do you want in a theme selector on top of selecting the theme you want?:/ Still, I get that the guide is like the bible for CFW, but they could offer some options (eg: JKSV is still better than Checkpoint yet no mention anymore).

Even disregarding the closed source thing IMO anemone just works better and has more features. In anemone you can take a BGM from one theme and use it with any other theme for example. Which is very cool.
You can just swap the sound files between themes with a file manager just as easily though...

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Why would you do that when you can do it in app with just one button? Honestly it sounds like you're really biased.
Biased how? I just don't think that if something works fine, there's no reason to replace it complete. Want alternatives? It's ok, but don't completely bury an app just because there's a similar one out there. Don't bother changing what already works basically. Also, it's not one button, more like 3+, equal to how many it would be to do what I said too. Still, not saying Anemone is bad, simply saying Themely is just as good as it needed to be and that's what matters. My issue is with how it's completely buried or talked about as if it is a terrible app that doesn't work!

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Biased how? I just don't think that if something works fine, there's no reason to replace it complete. Want alternatives? It's ok, but don't completely bury an app just because there's a similar one out there. Don't bother changing what already works basically. Also, it's not one button, more like 3+, equal to how many it would be to do what I said too. Still, not saying Anemone is bad, simply saying Themely is just as good as it needed to be and that's what matters. My issue is with how it's completely buried or talked about as if it is a terrible app that doesn't work!
Themely did work fine. Anemone works better and has more features. How is this difficult to understand? Themely is irrelevant now.

Reactions: SCOTT0852

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I get that, but what more do you want in a theme selector on top of selecting the theme you want?:/ Still, I get that the guide is like the bible for CFW, but they could offer some options (eg: JKSV is still better than Checkpoint yet no mention anymore).

You can just swap the sound files between themes with a file manager just as easily though...
I think you are looking at it solely from an end-user's point of view. The core functionality is there and if that satisfies your needs, then all the power to you. Using the example above, while it is true that you can change things using a file manager, what drawbacks does having it integrated in a theme selector have? So on top of being open source AND having nice bonuses, why would a guide writer NOT want to change?

The guide has had many many iterations over the past few years. The guide that I used back then was very detailed in that it was akin to having my hand held as I went through it. Had it been more detailed, it would have to tell me how many times to blink and breathe. It also did present with the choice of going with Luma or Cakes. I am going to assume that the reason for the exclusion of alternatives is so that the same people you mentioned (i.e. those who do not care about the coding as long as it does the job) would not have to fret about making any choices, which would in turn reduce the amount of "Which is the BESTESTEST one!?"

EDIT: If I were to draw parallels, it'd be akin to keeping an older commit of any of the components simply because they work fine. Not inherently wrong but yea... Or like the switch from A9LH to B9S. For a majority of people, A9LH did what most people wanted and/or needed. For the most part, everything should still be a-okay should they remain on A9LH.

Last edited by porkiewpyne,
Reactions: plug313 and ThoD

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
because Themely went Close Source, and people like to know what code they are running
It wasn't just because of that - Themely's developer started to act strange and was deemed untrustworthy by the guide and most members of the community, so when he announced that the newest version of his homebrew theming tool was closed source, people started being skeptical.

If you want to hear what happened, long story short, afterwards it was discovered that unbanmii uploaded your 3DS's private seeds (even if it was an involuntary thing according to its developer), Erman said that it was actually, quote, "quite smart" just as he announced that the homebrew would become closed source. That, along with him distancing himself from GBATemp after being banned for using a racial slur, stopping support for his app on the github tracker as well as on other websites and obstructing users from scraping themes from his websites right after the drama (which also disabled the QR code support function), was basically the last nail in the coffin. Of course, this is a REALLY small recap of all the drama that blew up during that time, so if you want a more personal point of view I suggest you start googling to get a better picture of what happened. ;)

Of coruse, that doesn't mean that you must stop using Themely right now - there are also open source forks that spawned right before the tool became closed source. The only unsupported and untrustworthy version out there is Erman's own for the reasons I listed above.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
It wasn't just because of that - Themely's developer started to act strange and was deemed untrustworthy by the guide and most members of the community, so when he announced that the newest version of his homebrew theming tool was closed source, people started being skeptical.

If you want to hear what happened, long story short, afterwards it was discovered that unbanmii uploaded your 3DS's private seeds (even if it was an involuntary thing according to its developer), Erman said that it was actually, quote, "quite smart" just as he announced that the homebrew would become closed source. That, along with him distancing himself from GBATemp after being banned for using a racial slur, stopping support for his app on the github tracker as well as on other websites and obstructing users from scraping themes from his websites right after the drama (which also disabled the QR code support function), was basically the last nail in the coffin. Of course, this is a REALLY small recap of all the drama that blew up during that time, so if you want a more personal point of view I suggest you start googling to get a better picture of what happened. ;)

Of coruse, that doesn't mean that you must stop using Themely right now - there are also open source forks that spawned right before the tool became closed source. The only unsupported and untrustworthy version out there is Erman's own for the reasons I listed above.
I guess with a story like that, it makes sense. I just have the one that was out back in March and never needed anything more than it. Who even changes themes that often anyway? I only used it to install a Bakemonogatari theme (with Shinobu's music) months back and never felt like changing:P Anyway, I missed that it was the same dev as the unbanmii, now it makes more sense.

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I guess with a story like that, it makes sense. I just have the one that was out back in March and never needed anything more than it. Who even changes themes that often anyway? I only used it to install a Bakemonogatari theme (with Shinobu's music) months back and never felt like changing:P Anyway, I missed that it was the same dev as the unbanmii, now it makes more sense.
Unbanmii's and Themely's dev are two different persons (MarcusD for the first and ErmanSayin for the latter). Howere, while MarcusD apologized for his actions and wrote a blog post explaining that it was all a big mistake, Erman said on Discord that it was a smart move to steal the private keys just while all the drama was happening. So yeah... I'll let you be the judge of that whole situation.

EDIT: Just to be extra clear I'm not accusing MarcusD of anything or trying to reignite old drama. I'm just trying to state what happened sometime ago, while explaining why Erman's latest Themely version is not trusted by most of the community.

Last edited by RattletraPM,
Reactions: ThoD

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Unbanmii's and Themely's dev are two different persons (MarcusD for the first and ErmanSayin for the latter). Howere, while MarcusD apologized for his actions and wrote a blog post explaining that it was all a big mistake, Erman said on Discord that it was a smart move to steal the private keys just while all the drama was happening. So yeah... I'll let you be the judge of that whole situation.
I see... Welp, I know about the apology and all, but now I get what the whole thing was, was missing some bits:P Thanks!

Reactions: RattletraPM

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Themely is like to die
Anemone is new and gets updated
Gets updated? It hasn't been updated in a long time. And I think it needs more work put into it. Feels a bit incomplete not being able to preview music.
One good perk of Themely is that themes without an icon, are temporarily created using preview.png. So every theme has an icon in themely, while in anemone3ds a lot of themes are just blank icons. It's the theme creator's fault, but themely makes up for that mistake.

To me, music is the most important part of a theme since it's something you can listen to when you turn on your 3DS. Not being able to preview music makes the app lacking when it comes to giving anemone to my friends who are new to 3DS hacks and dont know how the music sounds for themes. So I've been giving them Themely until Anemone gets updated.

Anemone3DS and Checkpoint are two exciting homebrew apps that aim to replace their counterpart. But sadly they stopped development early on.

Last edited by MattKimura,

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
How do you do that?!?
Weird necrobump but oh well. Don't know about Anemone, but on a computer you can always easily do it manually by opening the .zip of one theme, copying the music file, then opening the .zip of the other theme and paste it in there.

Reactions: Sen_714

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How do you do that?!?
  1. Select a theme from your list, press and hold "A". While holding "A" press "Up" on the dpad. Release "A" to install.
  2. Select another theme from your list, press and hold "A". While holding "A" press "Left" on the dpad. Release "A" to install music only.
(Tested with Anemone3DS v2.1.0 Beta)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol