Why is a Super Smash Bros. for the DS impossible?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by GameSoul, Jul 17, 2008.

1. GameSoul
    OP

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    If they were able to port games like Super Mario 64 to the DS, then why isn't it possible? I hear things like, "The DS can't handle it" "Not powerful enough" I mean, it's not like trying to defuse a nuclear bomb, so why?

2. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Probably a bullshit excuse. How they are bringing GTA to the DS is what I wonder.

3. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    N64 ports like that require intense recoding to get them to run. We will never see a SSB64 port from Nintendo and a homebrew port is far too large of a project for a normal dev.

4. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    It's not possible to port it homebrew-wise... a company could "port" it like they did with mario.. though it wasn't really a port, but a remake... that looked like a port...

5. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    We like to call those "enhanced ports." Like, Chrono Trigger on the Playstation was an enhanced port, as is the DS version coming soon. In that same vein, FF4DS is a remake.

6. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    Well first off why is everyone so obsessed over a ssb ds? fighting games on handhelds are rather pointless if you ask me,could it be done? sure why not, but it's not like it would even be a quarter as good as even the gamecube ssbm.....don't get me wrong I love my ds but fighting games belong on consoles and should stay there......

P.S.(can we please for the love of god move off the ssb ds crap now people)

7. GameSoul
    OP

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    I'm just asking why it can't be possible. Never said anything about it being released and all of that waste.

8. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    It is possible. Nintendo just hasn't tried.

9. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Who said it was impossible? It's possible, just that Nintendo doesn't want to do it.

10. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    ^Beat me to the real answer right there. It's not that it can't be done, they just prefer to sit on their ass and ignore an easy money maker. The DS can output at the level the N64 and PSX could do and a wee bit better...Smash started on N64. Visually, audio(since N64 used midi), and control (N64 game used what 4 buttons?) it's all there. Other than just not wanting to, there is no reason not to.

11. Private|Par

Member Private|Par GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Vampire, they really don't NEED to make an easy moneymaker. As I've been saying in threads all over this place, Nintendo doesn't need to make more money. Full stop. Period. Whatever that little . is called in your country. They are making enough as it is.

12. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    To make a Smash Brothers game is to go against what the game was originally created for. It was designed as a game to show of how well a fighting game could run using an analog stick. This was before nintendo franchises had even been thought of being included in the game.

13. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    The people behind it say that a DS version would be a step backwards for the series.

There are still plenty of franchises that have yet to come to the DS and Nintendo really don't need to spend money on developing any of these as the DS is still selling well. A Smash Bros DS game I guess will cost more than a regular DS title what with it having to match the series high expectations.

When sales are lower then they might unleash the big guns...I hope.

14. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    jump ultimate superstars was a success in japan, just like smash bros if released would be a success in the west.

15. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    Then what gives you the feel that it is impossible?
    Super Smash Bro is 100% possible for the DS.
    How was Mario Party DS possible for the DS?
    How was Super Mario 64 possible for the DS?
    well it is possible, prob nintendo is just lazy.

And just few things:
    If the definition of porting is how I know it, porting = changing things around on a game to fit another system so that system can play it
    What is the point if you "port" to the DS if you can't play on the DS? That won't be a port, then.
    "Not powerful enough" and "The DS can't handle it" is probably from the SSB emulation topics, not porting.

Porting is not emulating.

16. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    JUS doesn't even look that good to me,but at this point I kinda wish they would do a ssb ds already so the evil topics go away......

17. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    SSB Rumble is the closest we'll ever get to the Ultimate Game.

18. edit_text

Newcomer edit_text Member

United States
    Remember SSB is not a first party title. The first two were done by HAL Laboratory, the third was a cooperative effort between different developers. Many of these developers have probably no interest in working on a portable title. I don't know about you, but I don't want this title if it means handing it off to a small uninterested developer just to get it out the door. If HAL came back to work on it, I'm on board 110%.

e_t

19. SoNiNhUh

Newcomer SoNiNhUh Member

Brazil
    It´s possible but the Big-N is lazy...

20. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    at least the GTA DS Topics will die forever now (just pls no more birdseye only R*)

Anyways, Nintendo is lazy, the co dev of SSBB said a DS Iteration was possible since you can control Brawl with the Wiimote only, and graphically it should be able since even the N64 was able to pull it off.

I think Nintendo *might* wait for the right moment, when the DS & Brawl sales both go down to unleash the fury of a SSBDS.