Why I'm having a feel this site is mostly made for 3DS-related stuff

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by NoNAND, Sep 12, 2015.

1. NoNAND
    OP

NoNAND GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 22, 2015
    Ireland
    Pikachu City
    Hey there. I don't know why i have this feel. It would look cool if it were 3DSTemp instead of GBATemp lol
    I may be wrong on this guys and sorry.
    Hey when was GBATemp page created?

2. WaffleWafer

WaffleWafer GBATemp Novice Lurker

Aug 1, 2015
    Mexico
    well if you wanted sony, there's always wololo

3. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    GBATemp was made by a few italians back in the GBA days.
    Site was used for GBA romsharing at first, then they dropped the roms and continued the GBA discussions, later they added other systems.
    The name stayed.

Yes, the main focus of Temp is Nintendo.

HaloEffect17 and NoNAND like this.
  4. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    If you're interested in GBATemp's history, here's a page for that. As for it being more Nintendo oriented, that's a mix of the community that formed around it and 3DS homebrew becoming free and easy to pull off. That'll die down a bit once most of the people that just want an emulation device lose interest. For Sony oriented homebrew and modding, I'd go to Wololo. For Microsoft oriented homebrew and modding, I'd just laugh at you and tell you to choose something else. :lol:

HaloEffect17 and NoNAND like this.
  5. jumpman17

jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

Former Staff
    Apr 11, 2003
    United States
  6. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    It's puzzling how that Sony oriented site gets Nintendo hacking news published first.
    (just being picky)

7. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    We just move along with the times, that is why we focus on 3DS stuff now. You have to evolve if you want to survive and thrive and the temp is still doing pretty well for itself. There was a time back in the day (before my time) where there was a feeling amongst many that GBAtemp should stay true to its roots and only focus on GBA and not cover future consoles. So there would have been no DS, Wii, PSP, 3DS etc sections here, just GBA and nothing more. Thankfully people like Costello, Thug and Shaun decided against this (which caused some ill feeling amongst a few purists at the time) and the future consoles were covered. If they had not made that choice I very much doubt any of us would be here now and the site would definitely be dead and might not even exist any more.

As for the GBA part of our name I doubt it will ever change. There have been multiple discussions regarding this in the past and it has always been felt that abandoning our identity and heritage would be a foolish thing. There is history and a story behind the name GBAtemp and that is a valuable and cool thing to have and to wipe that away for no real reason would be a massive mistake.

8. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    There's overlap. Just like the PSP was fairly well covered here. They're still a homebrew site. Oriented doesn't necessarily mean the sites consists of zealots, just they tend to have their preference.

9. NoNAND
    OP

NoNAND GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 22, 2015
    Ireland
    Pikachu City
    No i never liked Sony. I was a Nintendo fan since 4 years old

10. WaffleWafer

WaffleWafer GBATemp Novice Lurker

Aug 1, 2015
    Mexico
    Shouldn't have made this post then.

I mean, the DS scene is quiet now and all attention is now on the 3DS and Wii U homebrew. 3DS has been in the hands of many people, the Wii U wasn't as successful. Naturally, in a mostly nintendo forum, you'll see 3ds and wii u updates. PSVita has just received rejuvenation just these past months and all news are going on wololo, which focuses on sony products (although they still publish nintendo articles, much like gbatemp does to sony)

Last edited by WaffleWafer, Sep 12, 2015
  11. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    What p1ng said. Also I guess that because of how the DS got its flash cards, home few was developed, Roms and roms came along, so people who liked that expect the same on the 3DS

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  12. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    And back on that time when smartphones weren't as commonplace, the few homes that were developed were very relevant as they provided mobile housing on inexpensive handhelds, emulation and even video playback.

HaloEffect17 and ComeTurismO like this.
  13. AtlasFontaine

AtlasFontaine GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 18, 2015
    Venezuela
    Venezuela-Zulia.
    Now is mostly N3DS kappa

In a serious note, nowadays the wiiU scene is taking his place in the site,

14. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    GBATemp started out as a site dedicated to sharing GBA roms, then moved to covering scene releases and hacking. It now covers a wide verity of gaming and hacking related news and topics, but overall the community is still pretty Nintendo focused.
    A name change has been brought up multiple times before in the past, but shrugged off because we keep our name as a throw back to the old Temp days.

NoNAND and HaloEffect17 like this.
  15. Guinea

Guinea .

Sep 13, 2015
    United States
    ----
    GBA means Gameboy Advance, so of course it is mostly centered around Nintendo stuff

16. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Eh, if they were going to change it to 3DS, it's also not temporary anymore... would have to change it to 3DSperm.

VinsCool likes this.