Why I think it is fine to update to 2.1.0 even if you want to have homebrew

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Polarise, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    his right? :P

2. Miller

Miller Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2017
    United States
  3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I think is fine to update cause IS ONE UPDATE O_O

Even with the idea of homebrew coming for 2.0.0 is too early for it and the system doesn't even have the features it should yet, that is only obtained with updates. Besides, people most likely are always trying to find out how to get homebrew for most recent version of systems (EXCEPT PS3) :nayps3:

But you know if your system is perfectly working fine, don't update, the patch might break it. If is already broken, then update, what you got to lose at this point? :creep:

4. Felek666

Felek666 retarded memekid which no one likes

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Kinda off-topic but CFW above +3.55 is a dream in PS3 hacking scene lmao. [Nobody is going to release anything, PS3 is as dead as it's homebrew scene]

eskinner3742 and KiiWii like this.
  5. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Addict

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Tbh, I have never cared about online and if so, and there was a title i'd want to use online, a 2nd console would be used instead.

This update gives nothing to the table at the moment and as pointed out in post 2, this update could have patched an undiscovered entrypoint by the scene that N may have been aware of.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yeah, sadly, I don't think that will be a reality now.

Felek666 and KiiWii like this.
  6. Odven

Odven Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    Underground
    If it was already easy for Nintendo to find and patch exploits, we'd have plenty of our own by now too. At the moment I believe Nintendo's focus would be to improve actual user experience rather than patch out an exploit that doesn't exist yet. The last thing any company has to worry about a month into launch is how many entry points are in their console, considering their priority is console sales, and games and exploits later (as indicated by the minimal amount of games at launch). I mean just look at Apple, they patch out an exploit every update, and then a new one is found months later, and the cycle repeats. It'll likely be the same way with the Nintendo Switch if enough people buy the console.

Personally, I plan to financially support Nintendo this time around because they need this break after the long period of lackluster Wii U sales. (I don't think I'll be taking much advantage of their paid online networking services until after they shut down Wii U servers completely, as some of the upcoming multiplayer titles are already on the older console.)

Mr. Wizard likes this.
  7. Pienkaito

Pienkaito Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2016
    Austria
    I honestly think that at its current state there is no reason not to upgrade. It's way too early. People also announce beforehand that an exploit will come and so they will tell us to stay put at a certain firmware.

8. Garro

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Chile
    Somewhere
    Without a proper scene there's no point in worry, as updates comes, exploits can either be fixed or new exploits might appear (Just look how with the 3DS OTP was patched on 3.0.0 without anybody noticing until much later, but then MSET was introduced on 4.5 up until 6.0). We can't know until a dev RE the Switch enough to have an idea of how it works

9. Halvorsen

Halvorsen GBAtemp Addict

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    What if Nintendo forgot to close a sector or something just like on the 3DS? Or just added extra security in general? The newest update didn't fix bugs or introduce new features.

10. Odven

Odven Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    Underground
    Why would people develop homebrew for only a extremely limited number of people who have a console at a version available for 2 weeks during the launch month?

11. TimX24968B

TimX24968B "That guy"

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    well there is an upside and a downside:

upside: more homebrew to create and put into the community means more interest in it and can lead to bigger things
    downside: more time for nintendo to find and kill some exploits

12. Odven

Odven Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2014
    Underground
    I think the gains of updating a bare bones console offsets the cost of sitting on an old firmware that very few people already have. Exploiting this tablet will become easier as Nintendo opens up holes with their new software additions, not the other way around. Sure if somebody announces an exploit/releases it, Nintendo will be quick to respond, but for now there is silence on both fronts.

13. ChaosRipple

ChaosRipple GBAtemp Regular

Oct 1, 2015
    United States
    I'm fairly certain I saw a post somewhere saying hardmod downgrades isn't working. You'd get a blue screen.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted