Why I hate / love the Nintendo DS Lite

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Lancer, Jun 16, 2008.

Jun 16, 2008
  1. Lancer
    OP

Newcomer Lancer Member

Sweden
    Let's start from the beginning.

[​IMG]

I was so happy, finally owning a handheld console again, after being forced to sell my old Game Boy Color many years ago.

-
    BAD #1.

Oh crap this darn console is fragile like glass! I feel like I don't want to play with it, just look at it as if it was a monument or something! Eeek glossy shell makes tons of fingerprints all over my console...eww looks gross...
    -

I bought a M3 Simply and a SD card.

-
    Bad #2.

These cartridges are tiny and hard to insert without touching the DS on all kinds of odd places!
    -

I flipped up my DS, turned it on and...

-
    Bad #3.

Damn it! I can't flip up the damn console without accidentally touching the upper screen! What the hell!
    -

I ran out to buy screen protective plastic things and when I tried to apply them...

-
    Bad #4.

Why the hell isn't screen plastic applied and included from the start!! My damn cellphone had it!

Oh and yeh, when I tried to apply the darn fuckers I failed. 7$ wasted. I did apply the lower screen protector, but it got all dusty on the plastic. Bah!
    -

I just wanted to do this with my ds: [​IMG] . But the massive amount of home brews cheered me up. Mostly because the "New Super Mario Bros." game sucked hard.

I kept on playing then suddenly notice a huge gap between the glossy plastic and the non glossy plastic that's used on the side where the buttons are (and the lower screen). This gap made a "clicky" noise when I put my fingers on the AB / XY buttons.

-
    Bad #5.

THE DAMN CRAPPY SHIT IS BOTH FRAGILE AND POORLY CONSTRUCTED!?
    -

I sent it in for repairs and had to wait 2 damn months for it to return.

2 months waiting and all I got back was a DS with the same problem.

I told the company this and they shouted at me that there never was a problem and that they did send a new one, so I should be happy! ...Apparently this idiotic problem is a "FEATURE".

Now with the new DS in my hand I don't dare to touch it without gloves to prevent fingerprints.

Do any of you guys remember how much you could smash the Gameboy? Or how much you could chew on the Gameboy Color screen?!

[​IMG]

...Right there is nothing good with the DS lite if you look at the console only [​IMG] Homebrews for it rocks [​IMG]

2. Ducky

Member Ducky QUACKJECTION!

Israel
    A white DS is good with that stuff , A friend of mine throws his DS on the wall for fun .. well not exactly but he doesnt care of it , And his DS looks nice.

I have a DS which is fingerprint attracter and its all fine , I just clean it every time I use it.. so I need to wait 30 more seconds before I can play... Not a biggy.

3. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Well, I'm sorry to hear that you don't like it..but I love this console..I prevent fingerprints problem with Crystal case (and it protects my system from lighter damage and scratches)..I read screen protector guide from GBAtemp, and it helped very much with applying it without dust or dirt under the protector..
    I enjoyed New Super Mario Bros. I don't see why would you not like it if you liked previous Mario games, it's the same game with fresh design..
    It's true that Gameboy, Gameboy Color and even Advance were tougher and sturdier in design, but this system was trying to be "high-tech of a new generation"..

So you either love it or hate it....

4. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Calm down; the screens aren't as fragile as you think and you get used to the fingerprints. Funnily enough you won't get very far if you don't touch it, the damn thing's not gonna play itself. [​IMG] It's a games console, not a desk ornament.

5. mr deez

Member mr deez GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Bizarre complaints... Not fragile in the slightest in my opinion, mines had plenty of knocks and dropped a fair few times with no ill effects. Never bothered with screen protectors either and zero scratches.

And as for fingerprints, does it matter? You'll get used to it.

6. PBC

Member PBC What!? I can change this??

United States
    I use my DS as an mp3 player in my car. With a cheap FM transmitter. One time I took a corner pretty hard and it slid across my dashboard, hit the passanger door and fell to the ground. It was a pretty solid knock!

When I picked it up to shake it off I noticed that the letters on the menu had changed from english to goobly gook. I thought I was doomed! I calmly turned it off...and back on. It was all ok... I've also dropped the thing many many times. and flip it around in the air for fun...never worrying about it being damaged by a fall. I think they are pretty respectable pieces of hardware.

Go google vid and see if you can find the review where the squeezes the DS touch screen with all his might and it bounces back everytime. You'll be surprised.

Buy a case if you don't like finger prints. I have a capdase silicon, its pretty dandy. Dirt gets inbetween the case and the DS and has scratched it up abit...but with the case on it looks just splendid.

7. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    It sounds like the DS Lite is being owned by someone who is a bit careless with things. A kid? Maybe...

It depends on the handler of the DS Lite.

Honest Criticism: BAD #3 is the stupidest thing I've ever heard when it comes to DS Lite complaints. Why not hold it at the side???

8. Upperleft

Member Upperleft Namcoholic

United Arab Emirates
    Use a crystal case if you hate fingerprints
    i like my DS lite.. there is nothing wrong with it
    if you like the bulky style of the older Gameboys ..get a phat

9. skagamer

Member skagamer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I personally think the design of the DS lite is fantastic. A matte finish would make it perfect, but it's perfectly tolerable the way it is. Try keeping a PSP looking nice and then let me know what you think about your DS. =P

10. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    I have a release day DS that is still working flawlessly. Mind you, the silver/grey paint on it is scratched and there are some nice dents/flaws all over it, cause it's been through the ringer many times... but its still a very solid moo-cheen.

...i'm scared i'm gonna snap my wifes DSL in half though, any time i touch it.

11. Lancer
    OP

Newcomer Lancer Member

Sweden
    mmm a matte white DS would indeed feel much better!

12. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    new super mario bros sucked [​IMG] Its one of the best ds games out there.

13. skagamer

Member skagamer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The crimson/black and cobalt/black models have a matte black finish on the bottom half. I have the cobalt version and it definitely help ward off smudges. Otherwise there are replacement housings that will accomplish the same thing for the entire DS.

14. SleepingDragon

Member SleepingDragon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've purchased 6 Nintendo DS Lites over the years (1 for me, 3 for my kids, and 2 as gifts) and have never had any problems like that. And frankly, I don't expect a high-tech device to be freaking indestructible. It isn't a battering ram for God's sake. Maybe you should learn to take better care of your shit.

15. bosscolor

Member bosscolor GBAtemp Fan

France
    Never had this kind of problem

16. Jarjaxle

Newcomer Jarjaxle Advanced Member

Canada
    my ds works perfectly even after being thrown around due to twitches i have and all i have to say is thank god it still works but ive thrown it around several times and it works like a charm. i also dont have any kind of problem inserting the slot 1 cards so i have no idea what you do with your ds.

17. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    The white DSs are known to have the hinge problem. I've had my DSL for over a year, and no problems on it so far.

Second, just grab it's sides.

Third, get a case or something.

Fourth, the NSMB didn't suck. It's just too easy... Play Super mario world 3, if want a good mario game.

18. CorruptJon

Member CorruptJon :)

United States
    If you hate it so much, I can do you a huge favor. Just mail it to me and all of your problems will disappear.

19. alltooamorous

Newcomer alltooamorous Advanced Member

United States
    Well like many things in life, the Nintendo DS wasn't made to last forever. I find it silly to attempt to keep it in perfect condition throughout the course of its life. Why not just play it and have fun with it? It'll eventually get dirty no matter how hard to try to protect it. Deal with imperfections.

20. Rod

Member Rod GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    My DS is also the Lite model, and I have mixed feelings about it. It is undoubtly fragile, it has it has the WORST grip I've ever seen on a controller/portable system, the buttons are unconfortable and the D-pad is horrible. But when I remember some of the great games I've played on it I realize how much I love the little thing. I wouldn't call its game selection is "perfect" (I really wish there were more action games and platformers =/), but there were some real gems that couldn't have been made anywhere else that made my purchase worth it.

(too bad they'll never make a "DS Phat" with the Lite's brightness settings. Had it existed, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and 95% of my criticism towards the system would be gone)