Misc Why I believe that 3ds and wii u online will stay (for a while)

pleasehelpme2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So as you might know the 3ds has been put out of production. It is reasonable to think that online closure will follow suit, along with closure of the wii u's online services as well. Although I'll put here why I don't think that'll happen. 1. The eshops of the switch, wii u, and 3ds all share the same network to some extent. When viewing your wish list on switch you can see wii u games and the like (remember when people thought you could buy 3d world on switch because of that?) 2. they all share the same funds and NNID system (to some extent, like user transfers I think) 3. It would be bad practice to close online because some games like splatoon have most of their content in the online portion of the game.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

USGYT

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, I think so too. I've heard some rumors about this in a discord server, but I might actually confirm it true.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wii U is hands down the best console for my 5 year old. I love that the battery don't last so long. I am dead serious.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Even if 3ds/WiiU share servers with Switch, it still costs some money to maintain with expenses like programmers, accountants, lawyers, bandwidth, etc to pay. Once that cost exceeds what they're pulling in from sales revenue, they'll pull the plug.

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Even if 3ds/WiiU share servers with Switch, it still costs some money to maintain with expenses like programmers, accountants, lawyers, bandwidth, etc to pay. Once that cost exceeds what they're pulling in from sales revenue, they'll pull the plug.
So soon?

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
We can't see the financial stats Ninty's board members and accountants see, so I can't answer when that will be exactly (maybe they don't even know). Just realize that costs will remain pretty steady as revenue continues to decline due to customer interest fading away. When those 2 variables meet, they'll likely kill the platforms off for good. The 3ds eshop will not last forever.

I bet at least the 3ds eshop will be safe for two years, I hope.

Last edited by zoogie,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I expect them to close the Wii U eShop first. Hardly anyone owns a Wii U, and those games can be pretty big, so Nintendo is going to see it as a waste of space.
The 3DS eShop is probably safe for a while, as it's quite a popular console and there are probably many who just recently got a 2DS XL.
I don't know how much the online servers otherwise are shared between the two. They both support NNIDs, but in the 3DS' case, that was just tacked on and you still use the old friend code system for online gaming, so they might be 2 completely separate systems, in which case I expect the Wii U's to go down before the 3DS'.

pleasehelpme2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Eh wasn't there an article about this that said that they weren't planning on cutting it anytime soon? Either way it couldn't be that expensive. Also I thought of another point as to why it wouldn't be cut. Since the switch uses nnid as well if they cut the 3ds/wii u eshop your wish list from there would go as well right. Since you can view those wish list games on switch that would mean that means they would have to cut your nnid into a piece of what it was, and they wouldn't do that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: you could say it fell out.