Why hasn't Nintendo STILL removed Youtube from eShop?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Wizardkoer, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Wizardkoer
    OP

Wizardkoer Wii Veteran

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    I mean tubehax was released more than a week ago and it's still on eShop?

2. Alex3dss

Alex3dss I like sharing Japanese music

Aug 21, 2015
    Netherlands
    Location unknown
    Because youtube is a succesfull app. Ironfall wasnt. So thats why they deleted ironfall and not youtube.
    Same story as Cubic Ninja

Voxel and CrashMidnick like this.
  3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    because @sweis12 didn't tweet\emailed nintendo yet...

/it's a joke/

4. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    Ironfall was pretty successful, and Nintendo put a ton of money into it. They'll have it back up soon enough.

Margen67, marc00077 and XeR ッ like this.
  5. Alex3dss

Alex3dss I like sharing Japanese music

Aug 21, 2015
    Netherlands
    Location unknown
    I don't think so. They dont put it back on. They also are trying to stop Tubehax. Protecting Youtube against dns stuff

6. CrashMidnick

CrashMidnick Member

Newcomer
    Jul 22, 2015
    France
    Youtube will be updated in a very near future, they just can't remove it as many people is using it every day ;)

Alex3dss likes this.
  7. Rusb

Rusb GBAtemp Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Not possible to protect youtube against it, the only thing google can do is patch the bug upgrading to newest version of the spider.

Alex3dss likes this.
  8. JoostinOnline

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    They will as soon as they patch it.

9. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    For some reason, Nintendo of Europe/America are really slow, because it took them well over a week to remove Ironfall after smea's announcement.

Conversely, Nintendo of Japan removed Cubic Ninja from the Japanese eShop about two days after the first announcement.

Margen67 likes this.
  10. JoostinOnline

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    They waited for a release. They can't just remove stuff because an exploit MIGHT be released.

Cubic Ninja was a game that nobody wanted, and that Nintendo hadn't invested in. Removing it wasn't an issue.

Margen67 likes this.
  11. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    They removed Ironfall before ironhax/tubehax release or the tweet about YouTube though.

Also, by then, smealum has proven that he can in fact find exploits to run homebrew code on the 3DS hardware.

There is one thing I understand, however: Cubic Ninja's developer became defunct well before ninjhax's first release, while Ironfall's developer is still active and probably tried their best to not get the game taken down.

12. JoostinOnline

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    I haven't slept all night. I'm sure there was something that coincided with them removing it. I thought it was the release. Could it have been the video?

13. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    Let's take a look at some dates, shall we?

October 5, 2011: AQ Interactive (developers of Cubic Ninja) is defunct
    November 17, 2014: smealum tells the world that Cubic Ninja is the game to get to run homebrew
    November 19, 2014: Nintendo removes Cubic Ninja from the Japanese eShop, probably because nobody will be negatively affected by its removal
    November 20, 2014: Ninjhax 1.0 is released

July 31, 2015: smealum says to get Ironfall: Invasion from the eShop
    August 5, 2015: Video of Ironhax in action is shown
    August 11, 2015: Nintendo of Europe (and America) remove Ironfall from the eShop
    August 14, 2015: smealum says to get YouTube from the eShop
    August 15, 2015: Video of Tubehax in action is shown
    August 16, 2015: Ironhax and Tubehax have been released
    ???: Nintendo removes YouTube eventually

There is one thing I do not get: VD-dev would be the most affected by Ironfall's removal, which probably is why it took so long to be taken down. However, Google will have no real negative consequences if YouTube were to be taken down right now. So why does it still exist on the eShop?

JoostinOnline likes this.
  14. JoostinOnline

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    I stand corrected then. I was positive it coincided with a release or video, but like I said, I'm barely awake right now.

I never used the Youtube app on my 3DS, since I always had my laptop with me whenever there was WiFi access. Are you sure there weren't any ad videos on the app? They could produce revenue that way.

It's also possible that Nintendo doesn't have as much concern for tubehax and ironhax, since they don't allow piracy. Of course, E3 2015 showed that Nintendo doesn't have any sense, so maybe they were just being stupid.

15. Rusb

Rusb GBAtemp Regular

Apr 17, 2014
    Smealum posted a video showing tubehax, after it, inronfall was removed.

16. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    Not sure if ads appeared (I never used it either), but all ad revenue would have gone to Google.
    I suppose; however they still allow for things Nintendo doesn't like, such as save backup and restore on any game (e.g. Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS, which don't use the system's backup feature), and the ability to edit said saves. In the end, that is cheating, and Nintendo should be taking the steps to secure its system.

17. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Maybe Nintendo is sick of the cat n mouse game, and would rather fix ninjhax with an update instead of continuously pulling stuff down that has save vulnerabilities.

There's precedence for this. Nintendo made EA fix sudokuhax before restoring it to the eshop, but for the remaining 3 dsihax games, they let them stay exploitable. They instead fixed the issue with a dsi update that prevented copying modded tads back to the dsi.

GotKrypto67 and WhoAmI? like this.
  18. mrolive

mrolive GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 14, 2014
    Canada
    My guess is that Google won't feel like patching the Youtube app if Nintendo decides to remove it. It's a pretty crappy app.

19. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    Who developed the application anyway? If it was Nintendo, they could have taken it down to patch it themselves. Either way, seeing Nintendo still not do anything about it is somewhat surprising.

Or, like @zoogie said, maybe they want to kill it with a system update. But that still doesn't explain why YouTube is still not taken down, even temporarily.

20. amoulton

amoulton GBAtemp Fan

Nov 18, 2014
    United States
    Franklin, Massachusetts
    I imagine there are legal implications to retracting an advertised feature as well.