Discussion Why FreeShop is still possible on the Switch, and what should have been done to prevent it.

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by SimonMKWii, Jul 9, 2018.

1. JeepX87

JeepX87 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Cool, what about torrent based apps that don't relies on CDN?

2. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    I'm pretty sure they can just flip a switch (pun intended) and your cert can't download anything anymore. Not even software you own.

3. Nyteshade714

Nyteshade714 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2010
    United States
    Any firmware update has the potential to fix this. Since Nintendo only wants updated consoles to have access to online features in the first place, they could easily change the entire structure of how downloads work and release the firmware update to support it at the same time.

4. Zumoly

Zumoly GBATemp Analyst

Apr 27, 2018
    Mali
    Yorosso
    Is it worth it though?
    Considering a banned console is pretty much useless for Nintendo, I don't think they are willing to go through the trouble.

5. Reisyukaku

Reisyukaku Onii-sama~

pip Developer
    Feb 11, 2014
    United States
    I mean, the IPCs in boginstaller + sx patches = basically freeshop lol. dunno if it works tho.

Mrdx and adrifcastr like this.
  6. GamingAori

GamingAori GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 16, 2014
    Germany
    @SimonMKWii how easy is it to fix? And why are you pointing is out? Hopefully it won't get patched, because if that get patched we wouldn't be able to download game updates on switch?
    How difficult would it been to fix on 3ds was it even possible?

Last edited by GamingAori, Jul 9, 2018
  7. Dan-the-Rebirth

Dan-the-Rebirth GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 5, 2014
    Australia
    As far as I can tell it would it not be safer to use a pc download solution with a banned cert and a hb devmenu on the switch?
    that way your switch cert won't get banned for downloading
    Or could a free shop for switch show the server a fake cert?

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It might be possible right now, but it's an easy fix on the server side, and you are pretty much guaranteed to get banned if you try anything like this so it's not practical.
    They could cross reference your IP and ban any Switch associated with the same IP.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jul 9, 2018
    GizmoTheGreen likes this.
  9. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Addict

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    That would result in too many false bans because of changing/public IPs

tiliarou likes this.
  10. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    That could lead to some legal headaches for them, I doubt they would bring IP addresses into it. Imagine if you were on a public network and got a ban all of a sudden because someone else on the network was acting nefariously.

tiliarou, Ty_, thaikhoa and 2 others like this.
  11. fixingmytoys

fixingmytoys GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2018
    Australia
    sounds like everyone has a inside mole who works for ninty,the why people talk about how ninty works , like they getting info from the "inside" lol

12. Jungle_Jon

Jungle_Jon GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2015
    What at inefficient and useless method that would be;

1. Dymanic IP Addresses - Some ISP give their customers a new IP every time they connect, others every week, others every month,etc
    2. VPN's at a router level make changing a static IP address (those that don't change) trivial at best.
    3.Multiple Switches on the same network - why would they ban little Timmy's mate for simply visiting a friend and daring to have his Wi-Fi on ?

tiliarou likes this.
  13. Creatable

Creatable GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 10, 2017
    United States
    (insert wacky and amusing place here)
    I was going to try to implement unsigned forged tickets into eXhop with title key support and game name support, but that's something way out of my league. I'll let that go to someone more professional.

14. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It wouldn't be useful in every case, but if they saw someone downloading content they don't own on the same IP at around the same time as a Switch going online (within hours), it would be a dead giveaway.
    Should be easy to tell if someone is on a public wifi by the sheer number of past requests from different devices they've logged.
    IPs very rarely change unless you purposely change it. Since as long as the router is kept on and the connection isn't lost, the IP stays the same.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jul 9, 2018
  15. einfuchsdrache

einfuchsdrache Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Not correct, there are NSP games that do not work. LA Noire, Vroom in the night sky. Maybe more.

16. fixingmytoys

fixingmytoys GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2018
    Australia
    are they really going to watch for that, some how i don't think so , A room full of people looking at screens to check ip's and what they download sounds like spying

17. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It could be automated fairly easily, they'd only have to look over the flagged IPs to determine who to ban.

yuyuyup likes this.
  18. ehnoah

ehnoah GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Sad you get banned for it and I want play Pokemon whenever it get released :-/

19. nintendolinky

nintendolinky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 31, 2007
    LA Noire XCI and NPS dont work as the game uses the infrared sensor and SXOS doesn't have access to it. Vroom in the night sky had the wrong title key, this has now been fixed.

20. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    <QUOTE>Get title contents from CDN:
    Nintendo really fucked this one up hard.</QUOTE>

you forget one thing.
    Nintendo LOGS everything. Also the entries without a valid key/ certificate. This way they leave an entrance to ban people afterwards.

GizmoTheGreen likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted