OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
[big-mouth-modus-on]

We do all know the game Final Fantasy from Square Enix.

But there's something that not everyone knows.

Why is this game called "Final Fantasy"?

Here's the answer:

In the past there were two different companies. Their names were Square and Enix. The game company Square was at this time really at a point where their company was supposed to go dust. So the only solution was to join another company, which could have helped them.
So Square decided to join Enix. Now they were called Square Enix. And it was the real last chance for Square to make a game to go uphill with their company. So, Enix and Square made a game called "Final Fantasy". The word "Final" reflected the situation where Square was at that moment, namely at a really bad point. So this game was supposed to be their FINAL try to go uphill with their company.

And Fantasy was because the game plays in a fantasy world.

Personally I was touched by this story and I really do appreciate the present benefits of Square Enix.

So we have a game called Final Fantasy.

[/big-mouth-modus-off]

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But Final Fantasy came out in the 80's when Square Enix were just called Square.

Also Square were never in danger, but Enix were which is why Square bought them and they merged.

EDIT: Moved to EoF seeing it fits there better.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
I hope you're joking.

It was called "Final Fantasy" because Sakaguchi intended on it being his final RPG. When popularity went above and beyond what was expected, Sakaguchi changed his mind and went on to make a sequel.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Where have you read this thing?
rofl.gif

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
rofl.gif
prolly wikipedia lol. "Final Fantasy was developed during Square's brush with bankruptcy in 1987, and in a display of gallows humor, director Hironobu Sakaguchi declared that his "final" game would be a "fantasy" role-playing game; hence the title.[5] When Sakaguchi was asked what type of game he wanted to make, he replied "I don't think I have what it takes to make a good action game. I think I'm better at telling a story." Sakaguchi's concept was a game with a large world map to explore and an engaging story.[3] Sakaguchi took an in-development ROM of the game to Japanese magazine Family Computer, but it would not review it. Video game magazine Famitsu, however, gave the game extensive coverage. The development team was composed of seven people, while the other team at Square had about twenty. Sakaguchi stated that if the game did not sell, he would quit making video games and return to college to make up a year. Only 200,000 copies were to be shipped, but Sakaguchi pleaded with the company to make 400,000 to help spawn a sequel, and it agreed.[6]"

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
BortzANATOR said:
raulpica said:
rofl.gif
prolly wikipedia lol. "Final Fantasy was developed during Square's brush with bankruptcy in 1987, and in a display of gallows humor, director Hironobu Sakaguchi declared that his "final" game would be a "fantasy" role-playing game; hence the title.[5] When Sakaguchi was asked what type of game he wanted to make, he replied "I don't think I have what it takes to make a good action game. I think I'm better at telling a story." Sakaguchi's concept was a game with a large world map to explore and an engaging story.[3] Sakaguchi took an in-development ROM of the game to Japanese magazine Family Computer, but it would not review it. Video game magazine Famitsu, however, gave the game extensive coverage. The development team was composed of seven people, while the other team at Square had about twenty. Sakaguchi stated that if the game did not sell, he would quit making video games and return to college to make up a year. Only 200,000 copies were to be shipped, but Sakaguchi pleaded with the company to make 400,000 to help spawn a sequel, and it agreed.[6]"
But that's correct. Instead what the OP said is totally wrong
rofl2.gif

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Zerrix said:
[big-mouth-modus-on]

Here's the answer:

In the past there were two different companies. Their names were Square and Enix. The game company Square was at this time really at a point where their company was supposed to go dust. So the only solution was to join another company, which could have helped them.
So Square decided to join Enix. Now they were called Square Enix. And it was the real last chance for Square to make a game to go uphill with their company. So, Enix and Square made a game called "Final Fantasy". The word "Final" reflected the situation where Square was at that moment, namely at a really bad point. So this game was supposed to be their FINAL try to go uphill with their company.

Personally I was touched by this story and I really do appreciate the present benefits of Square Enix.

[/big-mouth-modus-off]

wrong

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dice said:
Zerrix said:
[big-mouth-modus-on]

Here's the answer:

[/big-mouth-modus-off]

wrong
haha do we have a wrong smiley or a fail simley? oh well this will have to do.
wacko.gif

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow... the OP is complete fail!

What about SquareSOFT? Where do they fit in with your story? Look at any copy of FF7... it's not SquareEnix, it's SquareSoft... and FF7 came out in the mid to late 90's (don't wanna look up an exact date).

In the mid 80's, Square made a bunch of fairly bad games... the developer of FF intended his game to be his last, or FINAL game... seeing how it was a fantasy based RPG, and being his last, he really didn't care about a name, hence, it was HIS Final Fantasy game... when consumers in Japan got ahold of this game on the Famicom, it blew up! Not literally, but it was a huge success! It brought Square out of bankrupcy, made huge profits, and he was commissioned to make a 2nd, 3rd, and so on...

Here is a 32 minute video on the story - Link - be warned... it's Google Video, and 32 minutes long... open in a new tab, and be on broadband, or prepare to wait!

nin10do

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
it's like an episode of punked only instread of aston kutcher theres a troLL.

iok this :

It was called "Final Fantasy" because Sakaguchi intended on it being his final RPG. When popularity went above and beyond what was expected, Sakaguchi changed his mind and went on to make a sequel.

... is definately copy pasta off wikipedia... just more speculation.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Well, at the very least the Op is right about "Why Fantasy?" Part, other than that, epic fail is not good enough to describe him, he's worse than that.

I mean, come on, the phrase FINAL FANTASY was made by SQUARESOFT, not SQUARE ENIX, SQUARESOFT itself lasts until Final Fantasy X if my memory is trustworthy, and that's many years after the original Final Fantasy

Off-topic:
Shouldn' they change the name by now? I mean.. isn't it "Final" already?
tongue.gif
Final fantasy has reached no. XIII, a good number to end the series for me, and start a new series. Final fantasy Tactics should be left just like that too, with the original at its peak (no FFTA3 please, the story is too bland to be described >.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass