Why Fairy Tail is bad

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You nailed Luffy and Naruto right on the head.

Goku's character development got flushed down the drain during the entire Buu Saga as we saw him get even dumber than he has ever been, which in reality isn't possible at all.

I never made it that far; Dropped it after he fed Cell, a soulless monster intent on wiping them all out, a fucking SENZU BEAN and chucked an unwilling and underpowered Gohan at him, and murdered King Kai and his friends when he teleported the self-destructing Cell to his planet. Seriously, what the fuck, Goku. You are a horrible father and a complete fucking moron. That's not even counting the time he stood by and forced Gohan to watch as Videl was nearly killed because he wanted to keep watching the fight. THAT made him hop-skip-and jump over the Moral Event Horizon into a complete monster for me, and I've disregarded anything past the Freiza incident as canon.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I never made it that far; Dropped it after he fed Cell, a soulless monster intent on wiping them all out, a fucking SENZU BEAN and chucked an unwilling and underpowered Gohan at him, and murdered King Kai and his friends when he teleported the self-destructing Cell to his planet. Seriously, what the fuck, Goku. You are a horrible father and a complete fucking moron. That's not even counting the time he stood by and forced Gohan to watch as Videl was nearly killed because he wanted to keep watching the fight. THAT made him hop-skip-and jump over the Moral Event Horizon into a complete monster for me, and I've disregarded anything past the Freiza incident as canon.

30636637.jpg

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country

There wasn't really anything bad about Goku buffing cell up for Gohan. By Goku's and Akira Toriyama's logic Gohan was supposed to replace Goku as the main character after Cell so it made sense to do it for that one incident alone because he knew Gohan had the potential to defeat Cell. But after that in the Buu Saga that became Goku's thing after he spared Majin Buu twice so others could have a go at fighting him which is just disgusting especially considering what happened to everyone because of it.

Reactions: Hikaru

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not even counting the time he stood by and forced Gohan to watch as Videl was nearly killed because he wanted to keep watching the fight.

I can't remember anything about the anime, I still haven't finished re-watching the original DB yet, but in the manga, Goku knew that Spopovich wouldn't kill her, and if anyone had interfered, it may have caused people to panic from what was going on.

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It's pretty convenient isn't it? Luffy's crew aren't the only pirates in the OP universe, so why can't find anyone of the other pirates find the friggin treasure? I would have expected that Blackbeard and his bums would have found it already. But no, everyone's waiting for Luffy to take it. Friggin plot convenience.

The only reason others pirates haven't gotten the treasure is because they liked where they stood as warlords or as top pirates. For the most part the marines really have a hold on what the pirates do after they cross the Red Line. Teach is the only person who could likely be able to get through if the Navy tried to stop him but by going by the battle between Akainu and Aokiji it would seem like Aokiji might easily be able to defeat Teach before Teach really learns how to control his new devil fruit abilities.

Whitebeard likely wasn't looking for One Piece. Remember Roger's Treasure started the new revolution for new pirates to venture out to find One Piece. This is why we have the Super Rookies and the birth of the Eleven Supernovas.

Teach seems like the only one that will be able to get to One Piece but during the whole two year skip they mentioned that Teach has been looking for Top Devil Fruit users to absorb their abilities. Chances are someone will get to it before Luffy and Luffy will have to fight for it (most likely will be Teach). One Piece is only 15-20 years old going by Ace's age so it actually hasn't been that long if you consider that Luffy took years to reach beyond the red line (going by Coby's age and how much older he has gotten since the first episode until now). Most of the other pirates aren't looking for One Piece. Once someone gets One Piece they will be the top target for every pirate in the world and not until Luffy or Teach is ready to take on every pirate they won't be able to claim One Piece.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, this thread taught me that Fairy Tail should go on the avoid list. Good thing. I'm just about done catching up on One Piece, and was slightly considering putting that next on the list. With One Piece mentioned though, I guess I'll address some of the thread and fuck quoting blocks of words from the past three pages. I've been watching it from the start for the past couple of months now and am at the fight with Hody Jones on Fishman Island, so the show as a whole is still very fresh in my mind.

On the topic of character development, the characters in One Piece do develop. They just do it seemingly slowly. The amount of episodes/chapters may be deceiving, but do know that the majority of One Piece so far took place in the space of maybe three months prior to the two year time skip. If you were expecting some Earth shattering character development in that time frame, perhaps you haven't actually met real people. If everybody radically changed in the space of a few months, I feel concern would be justified simply because the show would become more unrealistic than a show with superhuman fighting ability and body transforming fruits already is. Some areas of note where noticeable character change happened:

- Nico Robin after the Enies Lobby arc. She went from treating the crew very impersonally, referring to them with names such as Captain, Long Nose, Cook, etc., to actually calling them by name and seeming to truly care about their well being.

- Usopp after the time skip. Prior, he lied all the time (rarely believably), felt the need to hide behind the mask and become Sogeking in order to summon his courage, and was simply lanky and undependable much of the time. Post-time skip, he has muscled up, is more confident, and although he would still rather avoid a fight, he doesn't walk in pants shittingly scared like he once did.

- Chopper had a similar change to Usopp in the two years simply in the respect that he became more competent and confident in a very noticeable way.

Really, the list goes on and on. Nobody changes drastically because nobody needs to change drastically. I feel like half of you expect some amazing, super, near character 180 when you say character development, which is just silly. If anybody core to the One Piece universe were to drastically change, the show would dive bomb pretty quickly. I mean, would you have wanted to see Luffy stay a shattered mess lacking confidence in all of his abilities after Ace's death, dwelling for 60 or 70 episodes? Yeah, that would have sucked a lot. One Piece isn't that kind of anime. You really should watch/read something else if you're expecting some deep psychological exploration of the effects of depression and shock when concerning humans. This is something that will thrive off very gradual change and general character consistency. I definitely don't expect some Breaking Bad, Walter White level changes.

With that in mind, it also has to be considered that each character has a deep back story that has let us know who these characters are and why they do what they do. Look at Nami and her time with the Arlong Pirates, the loss of her mother, her abduction due to her gift to draw sea charts, and the trickery that lead to Luffy making a stand for her against the strongest enemy they had fought up to that point. Look at Zoro and the loss of his childhood friend that has lead to him pursuing a promise that nearly kills him time and time again. Sanji and the dream of reaching the All Blue he has fostered since he was a child after nearly dying with Zeff and ultimately opening the sea restaurant Baratie. Hell, Robin's back story is depressing as all hell. To note, her "differences" during the Enies Lobby arc were due to her having a breakdown. Or did you expect emotionally unstable, breakdown Robin to be permanent? I personally feel cool, somewhat morbid Robin is a far better character.

On the topic of fights taking longer and longer, the fights really do vary, but for the most part, a main fight between Luffy and someone else lasts at most 10 to 15 episodes when excluding episodes that are flashbacks or general background fill in. Even then, those are maybe five episodes total. You may think "well that fight is too long!" For some people, yeah, maybe it is too long. For others, we watched DBZ and understand how long a fight can be made. The longest fights in One Piece seem short when compared to the ridiculously long fights in the likes of DBZ.

For the plot, the base of it is simple: Luffy wants to be the King of the Pirates. That is a nice, solid base to go off of. Building off of that, you have the individual dreams of each crew member, the involvement of Black Beard as the ultimate opponent, the "Will of the D", the role of the World Government and whether its justice is truly justice, whether the One Piece itself is really what people think it is, etc. Hell, we still don't know much about the revolutionary forces and the role of Monkey D. Dragon. One Piece still has a long way to go in this giant plot that has been weaved. What's well done is that each of these is slowly being revealed as the characters continue to simply move towards the main goal.

When it comes to why nobody has conquered the Grand Line in the now 20 years since the start of the Grand Pirate Era, that's hard to say. Little has been revealed about the New World yet, and why reaching the end of it seems to have been impossible for everybody so far. That will likely be explained at some point once the Straw Hat Pirates are close to the end of the Grand Line. If not, in the long run, it's a minor plot hole for the sake of plot convenience. Not the end of the world.

Oh, and while I'm thinking of it, I haven't hit the Punk Hazard arc yet, but where the poison is concerned: Magellan poisoned Luffy with just about every kind of poison there is. This was acknowledged when the doctors at Impel Down were unable to develop an antidote for Luffy due to the many types of poison within him. It's also why his chances of survival even after Ivankov's treatment were so low. After he managed to survive from it, as Ivankov mentioned could happen, and as was demonstrated at Fishman Island when the swordsman accidentally poisoned Luffy, Luffy developed antibodies against all of the poisons he was hit with. Essentially, Luffy is now impossible to poison except for perhaps by Magellan himself anymore. Any poison he absorbs is in no way a plot hole. Any new abilities he exhibits is potentially more he just learned to do over his two years. You can't ask for the origin of every move a character makes. Presumably, in the in between, they just figure out more while training. It's nothing that requires great explanation and more chapters or episodes.

In the end, if One Piece isn't your cup of tea, okay. That doesn't mean it's a bad anime though. It's significantly better than many other long running ones you might find out there, and it hasn't once felt stale except during lengthy flashback of a flashback portions (most notably during the Enies Lobby arc where we got everybody's back story abridged over several episodes). That's pretty impressive for something over 600 episodes with what could be another 600 before it's done.

As for Bleach, it murdered itself and was a constant victim of filler. Unfortunate. It also should have ended long before it did. The poor show just became ridiculous. When it comes to Naruto, I haven't watched it since Gaara was the main enemy. Needless to say, I lost interest long ago.

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
When it comes to why nobody has conquered the Grand Line in the now 20 years since the start of the Grand Pirate Era, that's hard to say. Little has been revealed about the New World yet, and why reaching the end of it seems to have been impossible for everybody so far. That will likely be explained at some point once the Straw Hat Pirates are close to the end of the Grand Line. If not, in the long run, it's a minor plot hole for the sake of plot convenience. Not the end of the world.

I actually mentioned this in my last post. The treasure "One Piece" is only at most 20 years old since Ace was born before Roger's death. Whitebeard as far as we know never wanted to claim the treasure and not until after Roger's death that he was known to be the world's strongest pirate. In a flashback episode Roger does tell Whitebeard that he would tell him where is Raftel but Whitebeard declines so the only way to reach One Piece now is by following the path of Poneglyphs which as far as we know Robin is the only one that can read them. That is why no one has reached it yet since they apparently follow an order (the order Nami has been keeping track of for which islands to go to next). Without a good navigator + someone who can read the glyphs it might be impossible to reach "One Piece" at this point in time. If Whitebeard didn't want the treasure and he was known as the world's best pirate chances are to get to "One Piece" is harder than we know it yet.

Reactions: Natural

kirbymaster101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Fairy tail last arc left a bad taste in my mouth. Natsu confidently destroyed the gate and all the dragons conviently disappeared. Felt like the author just wanted the GMG arc to end as quick as possible. However I might as well read this series till the end. Fairy Tail also had an unnecessary time skip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse