Why "Extreme Sports," Games Can’t get It Right

“I rip rock and gravel when I time travel, my rhyme busts shots with the beats that I battle.”​

The opening lyrics of my childhood. I can still hear the jazzy beats blasting through my old Sony Trinitron as I tore through the same few parks over and over again in the early masterpiece that is Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2.

The number of hours spent doing the same tricks and listening to the same music, and the familiar grunts of absolutely wrecking my shit when I messed up a stunt is times I genuinely cherish. They’re memories that I could begin talking about and probably evoke the same goosebumps and nostalgia trips in anyone that hears me. And unfortunately, they haven’t been the same since.

Considering the mainstay power that the Tony Hawk name had in the early days of the PS1/N64 era and how it continued to hold resonance into the following generation, it makes one question. What the hell happened?!

Tony-Hawks-Pro-Skater-1.jpeg

It’s honestly baffling to be able to look at the past ten years and only recall one skateboard game that was worth a damn. Skate 3 was arguably the last worthwhile game focused on the pastime, and that game came out in 2010.

Skate 3 had actual color, vibrancy, and personality to its world. Not only that, it was one of the last sports games to have a decent set list of licensed music and great sound design. And the engine of the game felt fun, free and crazy. The ragdoll physics were some of the best I had seen in any game of the past few years.

skate3.05.lg.jpeg

Fast forward to the year 2015, when the big comeback was supposed to happen. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 5 was fast approaching, and I couldn’t have been more excited. I remember picking that game up day one and jumping in as soon as I got home from work. I recall playing it for a solid hour, and I can tell you that with each passing minute my weak smile curled into a disgusted grimace.

Initially, as I was thinking about writing this, I wondered if it would just lead into a blind nostalgia pandering thought piece about how nothing could be as good as when I was a kid and didn’t know any better.

But I can recall in recent memory firing up Pro Skater 2 on a PSONE in my shop and being able to launch back into it with perfect precision. Being able to pull off all the tricks I had spent ages memorizing and marveling at how the game still felt good to play.

It aged graphically, but it didn’t particularly age in its control or its feel. It was arcadey, it was still fun, the satisfaction of the trick still evoked emotion, and the impact of mistakes still made me laugh. It was still a game first and had everything else topped onto it like seasonings in a sauce.

MediaHandler.ashx.jpeg

Tony Hawk 5 on the other hand, threw some salt and pepper into a pot and then remembered sauce was supposed to go in there and flopped it in at the last minute. It had lost its purpose and forgotten what it was meant to be. The franchise wasn’t about Tony Hawk, or branding, or any petty BS that Activision slapped onto every nook and cranny of the product.

I wasn’t playing Tony Hawk or Matt Hoffman or Amped or any freaking sports game because I wanted to emulate them and feel like I was doing it myself. I played those games because the game made it fun to play that way!

The franchise began losing its audience the more gimmicky and real it tried to be. Remember the RIDE boards on Wii/360/PS3? Remember the engines getting so focused on realism and graphics? Can you recall when you began looking at the presentations for these games and turning your head when they came on because you couldn’t bring yourself to care, even though you used to? Do you think they ever stopped to look and see if they were still building a game or a large marketing commercial?

tony-hawk-ride-81_800x450.jpeg

Herein lies the problem. Skateboard games, snowboarding games, BMX, all the “extreme sports,” games can be chalked up as products of the culture that was the 90’s. But at their core, they were still video games. They balanced realism of the time with entertaining physics and engaging gameplay. Look at Tony Hawk 5 or hell, even some of the sports games that EA endlessly pumps out today. Do you see a game or cynical marketing cash-grab with a brand smacked onto it?

These extreme sports games aren’t missing the mark because they lost their way. They’re just genuinely not even trying anymore. Activision didn’t even care to release Tony Hawk in a playable state, and EA has been money grubbing for the past decade now. There’s no soul to these games, no care put into them anymore.

At least Ubisoft is trying to make something happen with Steep and seems to be struggling but finding an okay balance of gameplay with online synergy. But these games just continue to lack balance as companies try to force them out to bank on your nostalgia.

large.jpeg

If it’s not broken gameplay, it’s a lack of attention to sound design or crafting memorable music. While all the attention to realism is there, there’s a lack of arcade-like entertainment or color that makes it feel like a game again.

These practices had all but killed the extreme sports genre in recent memory. And in a lot of ways, it’s beginning to bleed over into other genres as well. It isn’t about nostalgia, but companies that are trying to pander to our nostalgia. This focus on bringing games as close to real life as possible is indeed aggravating as if the people making the product can’t tell if it’s product or a game anymore. This incessant need to sell us cosmetic DLC that none of us want in place of crafting a worthwhile experience.

The saddest part is that the last fun skateboarding game I played in recent memory was Olli-Olli, an indie game I played on 3DS and Vita. And that's a 2D indie skateboarding game. The selling point? It's a good feeling, fun to play skateboarding game. The colors are simplistic, the music is subtle but fits the aesthetic and the tricks are satisfying to execute. It's the closest we've been to a return to form, and it's a retro looking indie title.

0014957_0.jpeg

Rumors have been floating around about Skate 4 for years now, and I can’t bring myself to be excited anymore after seeing what these companies think we care about. It could be the polar opposite and be what sends us back in the right direction, or it can be just another game lost to the plague of marketing gluttony.

It’s not impossible to fix these issues. They can get these game’s right again. If they just try to remember that they’re games in the first place.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
THPS and THPS 2 were so great because they were mostly unrealistic. Unfortunately I bought THPS HD and it turned out to be a disaster, as they tried to saddle it with a new, more realistic physics engine, and it just broke everything that was enjoyable about the original. Absolutely everything.

Even worse was that it was released before Steam refunds were made available.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: BORTZ

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never understood these games. Part of the fun of sports is to actually do them. It's not like you can defeat the evil emperor in real life with your band of magic-wielding, dragon-riding friendos. You can actually go skating in real life while listening to The Prodigy on your 1GB iPod Shuffle.

Though, I suppose not everyone has the steez to grind and do flips. The gameplay also incorporates extra rules that aren't as easily presentable in real life, or safe. I guess you can appreciate these games allowing people to live crazy-assed fantasies.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Though, I suppose not everyone has the steez to grind and do flips. The gameplay also incorporates extra rules that aren't as easily presentable in real life, or safe. I guess you can appreciate these games allowing people to live crazy-assed fantasies.
Yeah, I think I was 12 or 13 when THPS was the favorite game for me and my friends, so we did give skateboarding IRL a try. I was fairly big even for that age, though, so the ~$100 skateboard my parents bought me got snapped in half while trying to grind within a couple days. That was the end of my short-lived pro skating dreams, just went back to biking after that. :lol:

Reactions: Victorum

starly396

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"If it’s not broken gameplay, it’s a lack of attention to sound design or crafting memorable music. While all the attention to realism is there, there’s a lack of arcade-like entertainment or color that makes it feel like a game again."

This is the only sentence of your post with substance. Nothing else really explains what was actually special or exciting about the old games, besides nostalgia, or what's so lacking and empty about recent titles. I really wish you would've gone into more detail about this, because otherwise it just sounds like an appeal to nostalgia.

Last edited by starly396,

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as great as the Tony Hawk games were, i feel like they hit their peak with 3 and mechanics-wise it was so fine-tuned that adding anything more would just been gimmicky and so where do you go from there? other then just reinventing the whole game which is what Skate did

i would be satisfied if they just remade the old games but it's clear with the HD remakes that Activision can't even do that right and clearly doesn't care about the franchise, so the only solution i can come up with is to let another developer make a Tony Hawk game (or if we can somehow resurrect Neversoft, pffft whichever comes first)

Reactions: DarkRioru

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Tony Hawks underground has to be the best of them all... the first tony hawk game to have a story mode... it was my first gamecube game that I would play almost every day... when thirteen years have past, I had already beaten the game on all difficulties and found everything the game had to offer except all the gaps but, me and my 10 year old brother play it to this day emulated on my wii.. I still have the disk and the box it came in for memories sake.... it was the best game I had ever played relating to tony hawk...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

as great as the Tony Hawk games were, i feel like they hit their peak with 3 and mechanics-wise it was so fine-tuned that adding anything more would just been gimmicky and so where do you go from there? other then just reinventing the whole game which is what Skate did

i would be satisfied if they just remade the old games but it's clear with the HD remakes that Activision can't even do that right and clearly doesn't care about the franchise, so the only solution i can come up with is to let another developer make a Tony Hawk game (or if we can somehow resurrect Neversoft, pffft whichever comes first)
we need neversoft back!!!! somebody go get shinron, we got a wish to make!!

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if anyone was unaware, Tony Hawks Proving Ground for DS was pretty decent. It sucked on all other consoles. That was the end of the Tony Hawk series for me.

I dropped full retail on THPS5 and I wanted to like it. UGH.

Reactions: Zero72463

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
It's the same problem the games industry has with any games franchises that becomes popular, milk it to death and run it in to the ground.

The first Tony Hawks was amazing for the gameplay, levels and sound track. Never having owned a PS1 this is the game I have played the least. The second was more of the same thing with even better levels, plus it was on PC so I could finally play it at home.

Then the third was where the series got perfected. The game mechanics are spot-on, each level is amazing, different from the last, varied and well thought out. By far one of my most played GameCube games. As always the games have always had a memorable soundtrack too.

The fourth was a little bit "meh your just milking the franchise now", it just didn't have the same feel as the other Tony Hawks games did. This was also the start of having to go find / speak to people to do new tasks. Then after that we have Underground which contained a pointless story mode, which really does nothing for games like Tony Hawks.

After Tony Hawks 3 at least another 15 games have been released in the franchise, some I have played but certainly non that were memorable. Honestly theirs only so much you can do before people get sick of playing the same game over and ever again and the magic is lost...

Last edited by InsaneNutter,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wow...and I thought I was pretty much the only one who had such fond memories of THPS2 (and 3, but even though it had somewhat less blocky graphics and allowed to continue a trick after landing from a ramp, it just wasn't as good). I must've played that demo of pro skater 2 for DAYS! :P

The downfall? If you ask me it was, in the end, a split between audiences. Back then, that was about the best sort of graphics you could get (on a mainstream PC). It drew in gamers and skateboarders alike. Both obviously realised that the tricks you could chain together were unrealistic to say the least*, but the gamers loved it and the skaters just went with it. Maybe it was soccer moms complaining, maybe it were the pro skaters who voiced doubts, maybe it was devs feeling responsible after some would-be's attempted to mimic things in real life (remember: this was the time of mtv's Jackass)...but they tuned things down. And granted: PC gaming was going through that "uncanney valley" phase where things got so realistic it was offsetting (that fake blood and broken bones sound had something funny in it if you did it in THPS2 or 3. It was much less fun when the skaters became recognizable).

What I don't understand is why it barely sees any revival (I was going to mention olliolli). These games were great. Surely it can't be harder to make now than in the nineties? :unsure:

*that demo game I mentioned earlier ended with your score and the trick-chain that netted you the most points. I'm sure I'm not the only one who could pretty much fill up the entire CRT-monitor with text like "backflip+nosedive+ollie+manual+manual+wallhug+kickflip ollie+ ...." after a run where the character's wheels barely touched the ground. :P

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys what's your opinion on tony hawk underground 2?
I only played this one (a friend had it) and i did enjoy it.. i remember it had a combustion engine segway before segways where a thing i enjoyed that game but it was the only one of the series i played back in the day..
i remember SSX was one of that games i really wanted it seemed so cool, however parents never bought me any games and i never had it :cry:

there was also a jetsky pc game, i played a demo, i had some fun but it was weird as fuck lol ( you pressed space to make U turns to grab some poles with your magic balls or something)
If you want story play underground 1. If you want gameplay play underground 2 or american wasteland.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Xtreme Sports on the Sega Dreamcast were my all-time favourite. It's a shame that extreme sports' video games in general seem to have died out. :(

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can pretty much give every console tony hawk a pass up to and including american wasteland. I remember 2 being my absolute favorite. thps2 hd remake plzzzzzzz!

I knew thps was dead when they marketed that shitty board and changed the gameplay.

Skate to me was the answer to the shit that thps was becoming. Heres hoping skate 4 becomes an actual thing, though i doubt it. Extreme sports games still have a place in gaming. Companies are just doin it wrong. They gotta bring it back to the roots or it will indeed be a dead genre for good.

Codemastershock

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
For me, THPS started to decline when they didnt had any more feature to make a sequel worth and throw gimmicks of any sort. Underground had vehicles, Underground 2 had these "forced joke mechanics" like rage mode and a story mode that was heavily inspired from MTV shows, especially Viva La Bam. All of them had some wacky things like guests appearances and crazy unlockable locations, but these new additions incorporated into the game instead of little fun unlockables and secrets were unbearable to me.

Last edited by Codemastershock,
Reactions: UltraHurricane

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's not been an even passable THPS game since THPS4 (although THPS3 will probably always be my favourite, all of the first four are great).
SSX went the same way after the third game, yet EA managed to release a new SSX last gen that got everything right.

I think the problem with the THPS games since the 4th game is 100% Activisions attitude; Their business model changed about 15 years ago - they went from publishing great games to selling lumps of plastic to play novelty games on (sorry if you're a fan of the Guitar Hero/Band Hero/Dj Hero brands), which then led to them exploiting the "selling individual songs as DLC" model in the last gen... this cash grab practice then infected everything they touched, and still does.

Last edited by duwen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Soon your birthday?