Hacking Why .elf?

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
With the gamecube, it was obvious, .dol for dolphin.

For the wii, can we not make it a .wii/.rev?
i just think that .elf seems a bit odd, as my comp tries to open them with WMP.

That said, why was it .elf in the 1st place?
(my internet was broken for two months, the same two months the twilight hack emerged)

smile.gif

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Who cares what an extension is! It can be even *.shit for me.

My .iso files are shoved as winrar archives and .smc files (super nintendo files) aren for system flash player files. bin files are opened by Windows Media Player.

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ELF stands for Executable and Linkable Format. It's a well established standard for executables, particularly on Unix based systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executable_and_Linkable_Format

.gba and .nds aren't really comparible, because they are ROMs and not executables. According to the wiki DS and GC use a modified .elf format, so the choice of .dol for gamecube was probably related to the fact that it isn't a 'pure' elf file.

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
well, can we not just use the .elf format, but change the file extention to .rev/.wii? and see if we can get in touch with twiizers to let it boot .wii/.rev?

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Jademalo said:
well, can we not just use the .elf format, but change the file extention to .rev/.wii? and see if we can get in touch with twiizers to let it boot .wii/.rev?

Wouldn't it be waste of time?
wacko.gif
Maybe it's possible, but...duh
huh.gif

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Jademalo said:

That makes no sense. File extensions are arbitrary anyway, and recognising the type of file by the file extension is stupid.

In other news, .wii is already used for wii disc raw dumps.

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
what i meant by the .rev file then, was like the gamecube is .dol, just to keep them all the same. I mean, if you wrote a .zip reader, and renamed the .zip to .cheese, and changed summit in the program so it treats the .cheese exactly the same as the .zip, would that not be possible? because ATM there are .elf and .dol files floating around, and it would help me to identify them on my comp. its just for standardisation.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Jademalo said:
what i meant by the .rev file then, was like the gamecube is .dol, just to keep them all the same. I mean, if you wrote a .zip reader, and renamed the .zip to .cheese, and changed summit in the program so it treats the .cheese exactly the same as the .zip, would that not be possible? because ATM there are .elf and .dol files floating around, and it would help me to identify them on my comp. its just for standardisation.
It cannot get more standard than .elf.
You're obviously using windows. Identifying the file type from the extension is silly.

Loginer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When you boot homebrew through Wiiload, the file extension doesn't matter, so I guess you could always rename them to .wii and boot them with Wiiload. >_>

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Loginer said:
When you boot homebrew through Wiiload, the file extension doesn't matter, so I guess you could always rename them to .wii and boot them with Wiiload. >_>

exactly! this is sorta what i mean, but let the homebrew channel do that too.
Its just for standardisation, i mean, i dunno.. .elf just seems wrong... im the type of person who ned everything perfectly organised.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Jademalo said:
Loginer said:

Its just for standardisation, i mean, i dunno.. .elf just seems wrong... im the type of person who ned everything perfectly organised.

Revolution: WOW A CHANGED EXTENSION FROM ELF TO WII
useless, pointless and timewaster
huh.gif
But someone maybe be kind and do that for you.

Okay, okay not to make an enemy of you. Sorry.

Jademalo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
skawo96 said:
Jademalo said:
Loginer said:

Revolution: WE HAVE CHANGED THE EXTENSION FROM ELF TO WII
useless, pointless and timewaster
huh.gif
But someone maybe be kind and do that for you.

(.rev) Its just that .elf is too common a file extention, you dont have to be a jerk about it.. Jesus.. and yes, i know .rev is a framemaker file, but what even is that?
And i imagine it wouldnt wasnt that much tgime, changing .elf to .wii.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
This has gone on long enough. It's elf because that is what the compilers output. You're lucky that the ds has a container .NDS format or you would be stuck with the Arm7 & Arm9 raw binaries... In elf format.

Also, DS homebrew was released in .PME format back when passmes and gba flashcarts were the norm. Would you have complained about that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple