Homebrew Discussion Why does the Switch scene feel so stagnant these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I don't talk to racist transphobes like you
this is called a deflection and just makes you look like an immature child twisting reality to suit your needs

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There is a difference between having/tolerating a difference of opinion and keeping it to yourself, and expressing your difference in opinion in an inappropriate forum.

Personally I think all programmers who use spaces instead of tabs are mouth breathers, but I don't exactly go around preaching that.
and yet everybody knows you for doing just what you claim not to a simple google alone shows that

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Because they are extraordinarily fragile and can't handle different opinions?
Sorry, I don't talk to racist transphobes like you
hqdefault.jpg

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Imagine complaining about people supposedly being bigoted toward you because of your race, while simultaneously spreading the same bigotry toward other oppressed minorities. What a sad hypocritical piece of shit lacking in the most basic levels of self-awareness or empathy you would have to be.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this thread has certainly...changed direction.

Do me a favour, and try to stop the off-topic...discussions. Start a thread in EOF (edge of forum) if you want to continue the discussion. Try and get back on track or the thread will be closed. I'd prefer to not spring-clean the comments.

From my perspective, there are a few phases to interest in such things. First, when a new exploit/new potential is revealed, there is a rush to solidify, to extend and enhance, and create all the things folks could want. After a while, the best/continuously updated tend to rise to the top. Then it seems like the scene is less..."active". but in reality, it's just become more focused and functional. Still a LOT of work is done by some really amazing folks.

Homebrew games are usually what happens at this point, which we are seeing loads of ports to switch. which is pretty lovely.

Here's a question. What KIND of development would you like to see, beyond just "more hax please".

Last edited by osaka35,

cosmo135

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Do me a favour, and try to stop the off-topic...discussions. Start a thread in EOF (edge of forum) if you want to continue the discussion. Try and get back on track or the thread will be closed. I'd prefer to not spring-clean the comments.

From my perspective, there are a few phases to interest in such things. First, when a new exploit/new potential is revealed, there is a rush to solidify, to extend and enhance, and create all the things folks could want. After a while, the best/continuously updated tend to rise to the top. Then it seems like the scene is less..."active". but in reality, it's just become more focused and functional. Still a LOT of work is done by some really amazing folks.

Homebrew games are usually what happens at this point, which we are seeing loads of ports to switch. which is pretty lovely.

Here's a question. What KIND of development would you like to see, beyond just "more hax please".

Simpsons hit and run port pls, the source dropped and theres an "open source" C implementation on github which might also help

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
P'much what Osaka35 said; everything was hectic around the time Atmosphere was just a set of kernel patches rather than a stand-in replacement of its own. The common homebrew APIs constantly switching, people getting experimental and testing the boundaries of what they can do with the hardware... it's led us to things like the plugins with Tesla, the extensive support RetroArch's gotten on Switch, and things like the classic Sonic trilogy being cleaned up for Switch from mobile ports to A.I.R.

We've already had the basic Quake ports for years. Doom 64 was a homebrew thing early on until it got an official port on the eShop, and the same with Serious Sam (HD). Some of the bases are already covered.

No real need to get into the piracy stuff, but I feel like that's fleshed out enough as-is for something the homebrew community tends to want to distance themselves from as much as possible.

Atmosphere literally just got its first big release in the last three days that's changed a lot, and I'm sure we'll see some more things coming revolving around it. But the point is, we have a lot, and developers know what it is they want to work on.

Keep in mind too, 2020 as a whole was a ball of stress for everyone involved, especially homebrewers. Sure you have the months where it's just everyone idling around their computers for most of their days, but eventually you have to keep your families in check as well. We're still not out of the pandemic (it's still pretty bad over here on the East Coast) so I'm sure a lot of people will focus on their familial priorities than some redditors and forum posters who want hax.

And for some people whose names may or may not be Agraber, they have... other priorities. Which, depending on how that goes, may directly impact some Switch 'brew projects.

It's not all good, but you can't say there isn't activity of a sort.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Same reason as homebrew died with the Wii, DS and PSP from where I sit. That being where the Wii, DS and PSP (and xbox and GBA before them) represented if not best in class devices then often the only way to do your own code on the move.

Today cheap laptops, raspberry pis (not the first mini computer thing running Linux but compared to the pogoplug/sheevaplug then night and day difference), android and ios phones/tablets that anybody can develop for (using nice languages and libraries, and possibly get paid), TVs with HDMI as standard and HDMI out available on most laptops (and once tablets/phones but it seems that vanished with headphone jacks and SD card slots).

This means any device to get homebrew worth paying attention to will have to have abilities to make it worth it; processing power in a form factor, fancy feature that devs can't help but want to play with, some kind of serious openness, serious library that can't be ported/emulated/adapted elsewhere that means convenience is a thing sought.

Scene in general being up its own arse, devs not playing nice, people having feelings hurt... happened day in and day out for years on everything else and all over the internet for decades before that. While some might say everybody is apparently now all fragile and concerned with feelings, and I will at least note a minor shift towards that as some younger types come in and try their hand which more commonly have such troubles (or at least were not weeded out before then by the crucible that is IRC back in the efnet days), that is at best a red herring of a discussion. I don't doubt someone was all you failed to worship me and deal with my demands so I am going home but as a deciding factor... pah. Kung flu acting as a barrier? Maybe some but not enough to note, unless there really are that few an amount of devs that random chance means enough were or they all got siphoned off to do those juicy remote work jobs that popped up.

That and the Switch is not exactly having a popping game library that ROM hacking types can't help but want to play with. I am actually somewhat impressed it has the cheat making following it does.

To that end you will get a few intellectually curious people that try their hand to say they did, and the Switch has enough power that you don't even need to optimise things as hard as emulators on the DS or PSP so minimal effort/skill gives you a baseline quite playable quality. Sufficient numbers however are unlikely to stick around to make it something to follow like you might have for the GBA, DS, xbox, PSP, Wii.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

eh but its funny that discord channels are banning me now claiming "racism" clearly from this post it really shows how stupid people are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4