Why does some old music sound sorta weird?

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't really know how to explain it. Like, I mainly hear it in older movies and TV shows. I kinda forgot about it, but after listening to this song, I heard it again. Listen closely to to guitar in it. Why does it sound like that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fghas0KRNTw

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
In this song it's sound filters. And the reason music in old movies sounds weird in the similar way is that the sound isn't playing at exactly the same speed as it was recorded, and you get random slowdowns and speedups in sound, and that makes the music sound all wonky.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Yep, that's a really bad example since those guitars are supposed to sound like that. Do you have any other examples so it's more obvious?

Ultralex

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That song wasn't even recorded in a real recording studio.
It's recorded from Linkin Parks demo tape when they were still called xero and searching a label.
That's why the audio quality is so poor.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It's also due to the compression on the audio as well as the poor recording though.

Helpful Corn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh dear, this is old now huh? I don't know why this world keeps turning round and round, but I wish it would stop and let me off right now.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think audio recordings have just improved over time.

When you play PS1 games with music in it (Like Tony Hawk), all the songs sound like that. Or maybe the compress the songs so they have more space for the actually game in that case.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
In video games audio is bad mostly due to the compression they use. For instance take FFXII...the reason all the voices sound like the characters have buckets over their heads is because of really, really bad use of compression on the audio to reduce the total game file size (so stopping it from being a DVD9 release).

Helpful Corn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This first linkin park album was boss, it may seem generic to you because the style has been immated so heavily and the band never got the same feeling on any subsequent records. Don't be fooled when this came out it was the perfection of the rap/rock trend that had been building for years prior. Much better than any kid rock or limp bizkit nonsense that was dominating the market at the time.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
oh dear, this is old now huh? I don't know why this world keeps turning round and round, but I wish it would stop and let me off right now.
Eminem reference :P

This first linkin park album was boss, it may seem generic to you because the style has been immated so heavily and the band never got the same feeling on any subsequent records. Don't be fooled when this came out it was the perfection of the rap/rock trend that had been building for years prior. Much better than any kid rock or limp bizkit nonsense that was dominating the market at the time.
HT is a great album. Personally I'm a huge LP fan but that's not why I made this thread so I'm not gonna go in depth ATM.

In this song it's sound filters. And the reason music in old movies sounds weird in the similar way is that the sound isn't playing at exactly the same speed as it was recorded, and you get random slowdowns and speedups in sound, and that makes the music sound all wonky.
Thanks! It kinda makes sense now!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: