Why does safearm9lhinstaller first look into the SD for OTP.bin?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Bedel, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Bedel
    OP

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    Well, since some youtuber briked like 4000 consoles by letting his OTP.bin in his files, I've been thinking, why does it search for it in the SD first? I mean, if you can start it up is because you can dump the OTP, so searching for it in the SD makes no sense for me.
    I think there should be a reason, but I don't really know why. Maybe it's left from when we dumped the OPT from 2.1, went back to 9.2, and then installed the a9lh? I don't know, maybe it's a bad idea for it to be as it is now.

PS: I'm not tring to defend that youtuber or something. He really screw it up, but I just wanted to know this.

2. windhazard

windhazard GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2016
    Gambia, The
    You can only dump it if you are on FW 2.1 or lower. So the first step should be looking for an existing OTP.bin on the SD. This allows you to install A9LH on higher firmware without CTR Transfering once more to 2.1
    It's not a bad function. Imagine one day you have to send back to Nintendo for reparing stuffs. You want to remove A9LH first. After getting it back, you just need that tiny OTP file to reinstall A9LH.

Last edited by windhazard, Jan 9, 2017
  3. Bedel
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    But you could first try to dump it, and if it's not posible (because of the firmeware version) then search for it. Or even you could first what version is it executing to know if it can be dumped or not.
    I don't know if I can explain myself as I want (my english level is limited), but that bricks could've been avoided.

Quantumcat likes this.
  4. windhazard

windhazard GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2016
    Gambia, The
    I get your point, but I'm sure the dev has their reason. Instead of creating a new thread, maybe you can find the original post and ask the question while tagging the name of the devs. It's easier for them to answer your question.
    About the way people are bricking their own consoles because of a strange predumped OTP.bin, the fault lies mostly with them, not with the A9LH installer. Know that hacking your console always come with risk of bricking. So be prepared, look for help, search for every guide to compare, not just simply follow the first thing you found. I learnt it the hard way myself.

5. Bedel
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    Well I guess you are right in the first part.
    In the second, as I stated, I'm not tring to defend anyone. Everyone has his own fault there, but even that way it's still this I can't really understand. I fell like safea9lhinstaller is, ironcally, less safer than it could.

6. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    I'd agree here, it should check to see if it can dump it first. I believe this is an oversight, it's not an issue that ever comes up until some dumbass writes a tutorial, provides the files, and leaves his fucking OTP in there.

7. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    Last edited by invaderyoyo, Jan 9, 2017
  8. Bedel
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    So plailect changed it to do it as I said, but this still does not aswer why aurora did it like that at first.
    Well, for now on I wish the people that makes guides use plailect's version, because that in particular did not (he changed the source to put his name, so I think he used Aurora's github).

9. Gray_Jack

Gray_Jack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Maybe because she believes that people won't be so stupid to follow a video tutorial without a text tutorial

10. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    Probably just the way it was built. It was originally not usable directly on 2.1 to dump the OTP, it was to install after getting back to 9.2 or upgrade from A9LH. OTP dumping was then added after the fact.

11. einhuman197

einhuman197 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 17, 2015
    Germany
    Inside your bootloader (´◉◞౪◟◉)
    Can you please tell me the YouTubers name or give me a link?

12. Bedel
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    Yakara Colombia. He left his OTP.bin in the zip afaik.

einhuman197 likes this.
  13. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    I'm guessing he just botchily hex edited the original files based on the fact he tries to squash his name in where ever he can without changing character counts, I.e "thanks to", becoming "yakara!! " seems to suggest he didn't recompile but just hex edited

Don't get me wrong though some of the issues people have with him are the same as pailect, I.e running ads on the guide that features the work of lots of people.....but again I don't really care as I'm sure most people would probably try monetise if they are putting in the effort to maintain guides etc, that said slapping your name over other people's projects is a shitty thing to do......I guess at least he didn't try to remove the original credits though.....which would have been shittier :P

Last edited by gamesquest1, Jan 9, 2017
    Bedel likes this.
  14. einhuman197

einhuman197 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 17, 2015
    Germany
    Inside your bootloader (´◉◞౪◟◉)
    What an idiot. YouTube guides always suck. They are immediately outdated.

15. Bedel
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    Well, he also edited the folder where otp.bin was saved, but I don't really know if he can edit that also with hexadecimal.

16. Sketchy1

Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    The guy spent months doing this. Gotta eat somehow :ha:

17. C0mm4nd_

C0mm4nd_ Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P

Oct 9, 2016
    Italy
    A good workaround could be: Check if the SD contains OTP.bin if yes Check fw version, if 2.1 dump OTP and check OTP.bin with 2.1 OTP.bin, if ver 9.2,ecc just use OTP from SD​

Bedel likes this.
  18. Bedel
    OP

Oct 28, 2015
    I'd first look if the fw version is 2.1, and if it's, then dump the OTP and compare it. If it's not, then search into the SD. Anything else seems unusefull to me xD

19. Redferne

Redferne GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 28, 2015
    In the A9LH early days, you dumped your OPT before using SafeA9LHinstaller. That's why.
    I guess the code stayed since then.

20. szymon170

szymon170 Pr0FessiuNal HelPeR wiTh HaxXX

Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    Where I live
    It's kinda off-topic, but I'm going to ask it here anyway. What's that video that has bricked 4000 3DSes by placing the OTP.bin file in the description? I'd like to watch it.