Why does Rick and Morty have such an inconsistent schedule?

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand how something of quality value takes time to develop but I think this show is an exception to the rule. From Season 1 to Season 2 is a whole year apart. Slightly annoying but not terrible. But from Season 2 to 3 is 2 years apart and considering how many episodes are in a single season (1&2 had 10 each) I'm wondering what they are doing with their time if not creating episodes for this show. Does it truly take 2 years to create 10 whole episodes for a single season?

It makes me wonder how the likes like The Simpson's, American Dad, Bob's Burgers, Regular Show, etc does it and they can churn out much more content in less amount of time and of roughly the same quality.

I'm at a loss at how this show gets away with it. It reminds me of Drawn Together and I recall that show getting cancelled because the writers couldn't produce fast enough to the Networks standards.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shows like American Dad are mostly filler with light chuckles and cheap laughs. You can't rush the comedic genius that is Rick and Morty.
While I do share some partial agreement, what about say South Park which has high production value but is also produced relatively fast?

I understand how something of quality value takes time to develop but I think this show is an exception to the rule. From Season 1 to Season 2 is a whole year apart. Slightly annoying but not terrible. But from Season 2 to 3 is 2 years apart and considering how many episodes are in a single season (1&2 had 10 each) I'm wondering what they are doing with their time if not creating episodes for this show. Does it truly take 2 years to create 10 whole episodes for a single season?

It makes me wonder how the likes like The Simpson's, American Dad, Bob's Burgers, Regular Show, etc does it and they can churn out much more content in less amount of time and of roughly the same quality.

I'm at a loss at how this show gets away with it. It reminds me of Drawn Together and I recall that show getting cancelled because the writers couldn't produce fast enough to the Networks standards.
Regardless you have to also understand in some sense it is not uncommon as there are a few other shows that share that characteristic in terms of production time.

Reactions: RemixDeluxe

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I do share some partial agreement, what about say South Park which has high production value but is also produced relatively fast? Regardless you have to also understand in some sense it is not uncommon as there are a few other shows that share that characteristic in terms of production time.

South Parks animation isn't hand drawn like Simpsons & Rick and Morty, the animation style has a lot to do with the turn around. Another big part of the equation is South Park is a non union show, Simpsons is a union show. Lot of staff has to remain in the process, they couldn't streamline if they wanted too.

But Animated shows usually have an awkward inconsistent schedule.

Reactions: BORTZ

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does it truly take 2 years to create 10 whole episodes for a single season?

No. According to wikipedia: "In January 2014, the series was renewed for a second season which premiered on July 26, 2015."

Although that doesn't tell you when the episodes were finished and delivered, they may have been delayed until the schedule opened up.

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Season 3 is supposed to be twice as long as season one and two, so maybe that's why.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
South Parks animation isn't hand drawn like Simpsons & Rick and Morty, the animation style has a lot to do with the turn around. Another big part of the equation is South Park is a non union show, Simpsons is a union show. Lot of staff has to remain in the process, they couldn't streamline if they wanted too.

But Animated shows usually have an awkward inconsistent schedule.
when the siimpsons went hd everything except story boards were digital and all coloring and animation goes overseas.

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when the siimpsons went hd everything except story boards were digital and all coloring and animation goes overseas.

By hand drawn I mean it is still Stylus-to-input either Wacom or monitor frame by frame, yes they use computer assisted animation but South park uses an asset bank of pre-configured models.

No comparison in the turn around time of using cut-out vs cels, Rick & Morty is cel animation too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1