Why does music today suck?

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
24 years old, I love rock, jazz, old school hip hop. Frank Sinatra, Issac Hayes, AC/DC, The Beatles, John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Run DMC, Jay-Z, Nas, Eminem, A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, Ice Cube etc. I could go on, ill always love the rock music, because my grandfather played guitar for like 40 years lol and is obsessed with rock music, I basically grew up listening to that, and I had some family members introduce me to old school rap.

I cant stand music today, people can sneeze into the mic, and it could be a top 5 hit, sure there is good music, but I feel like you have to LOOK for it, back then it seemed like you didn't, the good stuff was always on the radio. Now we gotta hear trash like these guys called young money talk about drugs and "hoes" with complete autotune, its almost like you dont need talent anymore, just be an idiot, disrespect women, and talk about anything, and you could be a millionaire with a hit single. Its just sad, I don't get it, why do you have to look for good music, why is the trash music so popular?

Wellington2k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, music today is quite bad. I was just on a 7 hour road trip with a friends, and they played every single popular song you can think of.
My problem, besides not liking the sound, is that it's all about parties, drinking, drugs, love, and sex. To be fair, same goes for some classic music, but really... almost every single song today is about that.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I too am 20 years old and when I listen to the radio I have to wonder where the standards for music fell through the floor. I remember listening to the local radio all the time as a little kid (2000-2005ish) and there were so many good songs on the radio!

I've actually been working on a hell of a playlist to make up for what the radio no longer seems to have, if anyone wants to have a listen.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep hearing that this sentiment was shared by people back then, that the new music of that day was trash, and that this is basically a pattern. But really, it's more agreeable today, there's just serious crap out there. I'm a metal guy, my mind is more closed in terms of the music I listen to, but I can handle any genre song that's good. I can't handle a Justin Bieber song for example. Pop music today is more on the former word, "pop," than "music." Music now exists to gain sheepish fans, and build celebrities, rather than musicians. Bieber again, it seems there's more news about his antics and other stuff than his actual musical contributions. Taylor Swift? I don't care. Nicki Minaj? I don't care. Madonna even, please. Miley Cyrus proves that music is no longer what makes these "artists" popular, it's antics, music videos, concerts, not the songs themselves.

Music today is basically a front in order to get these hacks some celebrity time. I don't really follow the current metal scene, so I can't really comment on that. Recently I read a review for an album I like, and it says that the Thrash revival trend is waning. Aw shucks, because when I was visiting Blabbermouth and other sites in 2013, that was the big trend. Along with bands resurrecting and stepping up to the plate among the younger, virtually tribute acts, like Carcass or Autopsy.

Anyways, yeah, strapon cock in a popstar's concert, oh my goodness. The world's becoming a dirty place. Well, it has been.

Reactions: gamefan5

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds to me as if nostalgia is influencing your view on music. You want music the way it was done previously and not the way some of the current music is made.
Possibly.

But let's get to the facts.
Repetitive patterns, autotune, remixes, and more repetitive patterns, with generic lyrics, aren't as good as what music used to be 10 years ago.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
That sounds more like a personal opinion rather than a fact to me..
And you may be right.
I just feel that today's music isn't quite good compared to what was made before.

But that's my opinion.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds to me as if nostalgia is influencing your view on music. You want music the way it was done previously and not the way some of the current music is made.
Nostalgia is definitely a factor. But as the music formula is made these days, there is a sense of truth in what he says. I think it's what we expect of music that has changed. I think that's what he is trying to convey
There are very few new artists today that will have the same impact of those that truly want to make meaningful music.
I mean, you can't tell me that a song about butts like Anaconda will be considered as a musical masterpiece. Hahaha.

That said, it's really what is considered popular that has changed, great music can still be found. It's mainly why I rarely listen to commercial music these days. XD

Last edited by gamefan5,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally dislike auto-tune and non-melodic music. I prefer melody over percussion. No wubwubwub for me.

A pet peeve of mine is when I hear a "remix", but it's just the original song with someone speaking over the original music. It's the equivalent of hearing a great song coming on the radio, then someone from the backseat "sings" all the way through.

/oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I personally dislike auto-tune and non-melodic music. I prefer melody over percussion. No wubwubwub for me.
Definitely this. I'm glad that I'm not alone thinking that way.

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I love remixes. Auto-tune isn't really a factor to me. It depends on how it is used.
To me, whether it is real instruments or computer used, music is still music.
What matters to me is how the tune is made, how great is sounds, and whether it is creative or not.
It's kinda why I love drum and bass and dubstep too. XD

Mazamin

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
But I even think that we like a song when that makes we remember a particular moment of our life, and we try to go back to this moment by listening it, so even if a good song comes out today, and it's better than a song of our youth, we everytime prefere the old one

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But I even think that we like a song when that makes we remember a particular moment of our life, and we try to go back to this moment by listening it, so even if a good song comes out today, and it's better than a song of our youth, we everytime prefere the old one
That's what we call nostalgia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: