OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
I'll have my hand on my DS for hours and neither my hand or DS will stink.

And metal doesn't give off a particular aroma.

But if I fiddle with a steal screw or a pair of nail clippers, both the metals and my hands smell bad.

Explain this.

D

Deleted User

WHAT!?
HIHs9.jpg

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Chemical reactions.

Dunno.

Maybe the metal oxidizes in contact with your sweat, or reacts with the slight acidity of your skin or what have you.

Then tere's the oils and rust inhibitors they coat the metal with.

I dunno.

On the other hand there's that stainless steel soap thing that removes odours, and it really works.

Metal
2zxurtg.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Wikipedia offers a few possible explanations:

QUOTE said:
Stainless steel consists of mainly iron and chromium, and contains a thin layer of chromium (III) oxide on its surface. Metal oxides are Lewis acids and readily catalyze oxidations. Iron and chromium oxides can be used as oxidation catalysts, effective for industrial-scale oxidation of odorous reduced sulfur compounds at a temperature of 180° C. For this to occur to begin with, the compounds must adsorb on the metal oxide surface. Chromium(III) may also act as an adsorbent only. Another plausible explanation is that a thin layer of grease, containing the odorous compounds, is rubbed off mechanically onto the steel surface.

logical thinker

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Still kinda difficult to understand, but it is a good explanation.
Only this part is obviously wrong, otherwise you could rub your hands anywhere and it would get odorless:
"Another plausible explanation is that a thin layer of grease, containing the odorous compounds, is rubbed off mechanically onto the steel surface."

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
logical thinker said:
Still kinda difficult to understand, but it is a good explanation.
Only this part is obviously wrong, otherwise you could rub your hands anywhere and it would get odorless:
"Another plausible explanation is that a thin layer of grease, containing the odorous compounds, is rubbed off mechanically onto the steel surface."
I don't think it's that easy to rub it off your hands. Metal of a paper clip or similar is in most cases smooth, you hands are not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: