why does it feel better to play retro games on hacked console?

eriol33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I grew up playing retro games using pc. I am quite accustomed to the GUI, but these days, I feel it feels better to play retro games, especially nintendo games on hacked Wii. naturally, I prefer to play playstation games on hacked psp or PSN. although console emulators on pc is great, but I don't ever feel I want to use them anymore. The only emulators I need on PC are probably dolphin and pcsx2 since they are not available anywhere else.

I don't like playing on android devices as well. although the GUI is very simplistic, but the feel is just different when playing from a console. I bought ipega controller for a while and sold it as it gathered dust.

does anyone feel this way or you're indifferent regardless how you play your retro games?

Last edited by eriol33,
Reactions: Kvnrdrguez

eriol33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Had no idea it felt better for people to play them on pc and hacked consoles. I am guessing because they are free. For me it feels better to play the games on it's original hardware but that's just me.
ah yes, nothing beats the original hardware. but playing nintendo games on Wii is probably the closest experience I can get. maybe I am just consoling myself because I cannot access the original hardwares :)

Reactions: olec04

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah yes, nothing beats the original hardware. but playing nintendo games on Wii is probably the closest experience I can get. maybe I am just consoling myself because I cannot access the original hardwares :)
I understand. As far as hacked consoles go nothing beats an original xbox and a wii as far as emulation goes so you can't go wrong with those IMO.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, as stupid as it sounds, it's the controls. Playing PS1 on my Vita feels so much better than playing on my laptop because the controls on Vita feel far more closer to the PS1 controller. Plus the idea of making a home console portable.
If you are on a laptop though you can use a ps1/ps2/ps3 controller converter/adapter to play.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Can't tell about most stuff, but I like playing "handheld games" on a handheld. So that's why I'd play GBA games more on a calculator or on a 3DS than on my PC.

And for every home console that I could emulate (NES, SNES), no idea. I never touched any of these in real life so I don't know what the feeling should be like, so playing them on whatever feels the same.
Though I like not to "waste" power and play a 2D game on my PC where I could play GTA, so for that reason, I might play these games on a 3DS too.

Then obviously, I run Dolphin on my PC for the reasons you mentioned...

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's also the case for me.
But it really depends on that console's controllers, unfortunately I don't have a classic controller, so I only emulate GB/GBC/NES and Mega-Drive on my Wii.

Reactions: eriol33

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I haven't truly played an SNES game on my PC for a long time, yet I've played some on my 3DS via blargSNES, and here I am, using my Wii U + Loadiine GX2 to play injected games like Secret of Mana, a game among many I've been wishing would come to the VC outside of Japan.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I haven't truly played an SNES game on my PC for a long time, yet I've played some on my 3DS via blargSNES, and here I am, using my Wii U + Loadiine GX2 to play injected games like Secret of Mana, a game among many I've been wishing would come to the VC outside of Japan.
dont you feel that ackward familiar feeling, when you play a snes game, you programatically think how it should be done?

or even worse, "i cant play this because my emulator could probably do if I were coding it, but nevermind"

VincentBeasley

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand. As far as hacked consoles go nothing beats an original xbox and a wii as far as emulation goes so you can't go wrong with those IMO.
I prefer the original consoles as well. But Damn, playing emulators wth a wii on a SD TV with no filters is so close to the real thing its amazing. I personally use a Ps3 for PS1,2,3 games and a Wii (and WiiU) for everything else =] Those two consoles were meant to be together hahaha

Reactions: cvskid

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My laptop is a pile of wank that barely functions as a paperweight nowadays.
That sucks to hear. In your case though with a ps vita if you have a L2/R2 grip for it then playing ps1 games feels great with the extra trigger buttons so it's just like a playstation controller.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ummmm
  1. HD Upscailing
  2. Graphic Filters
  3. Romvhacks
  4. Save states/screenshots
  5. Frame skip
  6. New Features
  7. One more system to play other systems on
  8. You look cool doing it (Not really relevant but pointing it out, Playing mario on playstation? You deceide)
  9. More enhancements and control over things (Config menus you can play with to your liking)
  10. Oh the most important part, SO MANY DIFFERENT CONTROLLERS CAN BE USED
You look at this straight in the face and tell me that using This GODLIKE android TV (Game console)
While using any possible usb controller PS3, XBOX 360, Wii pro, Game cube, ARCADE STICKS. All those buttons, just about any possible bluetooth or usb controller, probably all of them, tell me that is not satisfying at all.:ninja:

nvidia-shiled-android-tv.jpg

While playing your favorite retro games on a 720P 1080P or even 4K. Would you rather have games look like this?
Actual resolution on HD TV screen. (Yep, them 256X244 Pixel Resolutions are real)
Don't forget those scanlines, of the old tube tv. :P

NES.emu_20160807_143026.png

Or rather look a little better like this?:creep:
By the way, the last picture is from a playstation game, it has wide screen (16:9) patch support for 3D polygon games as well as OPENGLS (a popular graphics engine according to most people)
NES.emu_20160807_142643.png MD.emu_20160807_143238.png Snes9x EX+_20160807_143430.png GBC.emu_20160807_143903.png PCE.emu_20160807_143928.png NGP.emu_20160807_143956.png GBA.emu_20160807_144039.png ePSXe_20160807_145138.png

Okay those are just my opinions, you don't have to agree. I still support the basic console, on the good side you shouldn't ever have problems since is OFFICAL and not emulated. But only if they can do the tricks emulators can do.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,
Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

VincentBeasley

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ummmm
  1. HD Upscailing
  2. Graphic Filters
  3. Romvhacks
  4. Save states/screenshots
  5. Frame skip
  6. New Features
  7. One more system to play other systems on
  8. You look cool doing it (Not really relevant but pointing it out, Playing mario on playstation? You deceide)
  9. More enhancements and control over things (Config menus you can play with to your liking)
  10. Oh the most important part, SO MANY DIFFERENT CONTROLLERS CAN BE USED
You look at this straight in the face and tell me that using This GODLIKE android TV (Game console)
While using any possible usb controller PS3, XBOX 360, Wii pro, Game cube, ARCADE STICKS. All thosse buttons, just about any possible bluetooth or usb controller, probably all of them, tell me that is not satisfying at all.:ninja:

nvidia-shiled-android-tv.jpg

While playing your favorite retro games on a 720P 1080P or even 4K. Would you rather have games look like this?
Actual resolution on HD TV screen. (Yep, them 256X244 Pixel Resolutions are real)
Don't forget those scanlines, of the old tube tv. :P

View attachment 58373

Or rather look a little better like this?:creep:
By the way, the last picture is from a playstation game, it has wide screen (16:9) patch support for 3D polygon games as well as OPENGLS (a popular graphics engine according to most people)
View attachment 58374 View attachment 58375 View attachment 58376 View attachment 58377 View attachment 58378 View attachment 58379 View attachment 58380 View attachment 58381

Okay those are just my opinions, you don't have to agree. I still support the basic console, on the good side you shouldn't ever have problems since is OFFICAL and not emulated. But only if they can do the tricks emulators can do.
Those pics don't even look that great lol nasty filters xD The playstation one does though

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me

Pros -
Better display due to hd upscaling and all that
Occasionally better controllers (DS3>64)
Save states
Its free
Easier to mod/hack

Cons -
Controllers are not always as good (Snes for example)
Lacks the nostalgia
Nothing physical so you can not display your games.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

AyanamiRei0

GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For me

Pros -
Better display due to hd upscaling and all that
Occasionally better controllers (DS3>64)
Save states
Its free
Easier to mod/hack

Cons -
Controllers are not always as good (Snes for example)
Lacks the nostalgia
Nothing physical so you can not display your games.

Unless you own the game are you emulating

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: