Hacking Why does IOS58 Installer need no_ios_reload and HBC v1.0.7+?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I assume the no_ios_reload in the meta.xml file is for AHBPROT (which would require HBC v1.0.7+), but you don't need AHBPROT to install an unpatched IOS. I have a fair amount of Wii hacking knowledge, but there are also plenty of things I don't understand. It appears the uses of no_ios_reload is one of them.

jskyboo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AHBPROT is flag that means if the wii currently has special hw access that it does not have when the flag is not on. What it allows us to do is for instance modify the memory used by the currently loaded IOS and add permissions on the fly. That is what then allows the program to do things that you use to only do with a patched IOS actually installed. So you still are patching the IOS but instead of patching it, then installing it and loading with the IOS the permissions, we take the running IOS and temporarily give it the permissions. So wheres the catch? The catch is whenever you reload and IOS you change the current running IOS therefore losing any permissions it had, and lose AHBPROT mode and then can't get it back. So we don't really know much about the source code of HBC but what we do know is at some point before loading an app it reloads an ios and this means the next app can't use AHBPROT. no_ios_reload allows us to tell HBC whether or not to do that reload. HBC v1.0.6 and earlier did not have this flag so HBC always reloads an IOS and loses AHBPROT.

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
jskyboo said:
AHBPROT is flag that means if the wii currently has special hw access that it does not have when the flag is not on. What it allows us to do is for instance modify the memory used by the currently loaded IOS and add permissions on the fly. That is what then allows the program to do things that you use to only do with a patched IOS actually installed. So you still are patching the IOS but instead of patching it, then installing it and loading with the IOS the permissions, we take the running IOS and temporarily give it the permissions. So wheres the catch? The catch is whenever you reload and IOS you change the current running IOS therefore losing any permissions it had, and lose AHBPROT mode and then can't get it back. So we don't really know much about the source code of HBC but what we do know is at some point before loading an app it reloads an ios and this means the next app can't use AHBPROT. no_ios_reload allows us to tell HBC whether or not to do that reload. HBC v1.0.6 and earlier did not have this flag so HBC always reloads an IOS and loses AHBPROT.
I get that much, but my point is that the installer shouldn't need any special permissions or a patched IOS. A vanilla copy of IOS58 can be installed with any non-stub IOS, whether patched or not.

jskyboo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
I get that much, but my point is that the installer shouldn't need any special permissions or a patched IOS. A vanilla copy of IOS58 can be installed with any non-stub IOS, whether patched or not.
You are correct.

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline,

Have you talked at all to xflak or deadlyfoez from our forums?
Those 2 alone have done and know alot more than just us commoners here.
PM them, I'm sure they'll have answers for you.......

JoostinOnline

OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
ddetkowski said:
JoostinOnline,

Have you talked at all to xflak or deadlyfoez from our forums?
Those 2 alone have done and know alot more than just us commoners here.
PM them, I'm sure they'll have answers for you.......
I'm friends with both of them. It's just easier to ask everyone as opposed to two people.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Did you try taking it out of the xml to see what happens? It's most likely just an oversight since most of Tantric's other apps do use it.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tueidj said:
Did you try taking it out of the xml to see what happens? It's most likely just an oversight since most of Tantric's other apps do use it.

Why oversight? What's the point of reloading IOS over and over? If an app needs an IOS Reload to be sure it's in a clean state, the app can and has to do it itself. Welll that's my point of view here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night