Hacking Why does GCOS work on GC,

Treflex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I asked this question in another topic, but got no answer, so here goes >.<

Okay, so whenever someone asks about playing backups on wii without a modchip, everyone just says that the wii drive refuses to read burned copies without a modchip. However on gamecube, the program GCOS allowed just that - What is preventing a similar program from working on the wii?(No, not GCOS in particular, I know that it is GC native) Was it a specific flaw in the gamecube's firmware which does not exist in the wii's firmware, or what?

Yes, I understand that the scene does not want to encourage piracy, and NO I'm not begging for an iso loader or some other method for booting backups. I'm just curious to know
blink.gif

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
The protection against burned copies in a Wii is done by hardware, not by software. So even if you would write a program for reading burned discs, the Wii hardware refuses to read it without a chip.

As for Gamecube I don't know.

Not sure if I am correct.

Treflex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, that would explain it. So there is absolutely no way to access the hardware through the use of a program and tell it to allow burned copies to boot?

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
Treflex said:
I see, that would explain it. So there is absolutely no way to access the hardware through the use of a program and tell it to allow burned copies to boot?
Maybe, Wii hacking is just on an early level.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Treflex said:

It may be possible in the future. But not in the forseeable future.

Treflex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tanas said:
Waninkoko has said that its impossible.

>.< I know, I know, but everyone gives that same reply of "Waninkoko said blah blah:"
I know he's a respectable hacker, I use alot of his apps, I'm not saying he's lying. But I clearly asked why it does not work, not whether it does or doesn't.

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Treflex said:
But I clearly asked why it does not work, not whether it does or doesn't.
My answer to a similar post applies to your question, too. In addition to that, GCOS heavily relies on the ability of Gamecube software to directly access the disk data which in Wii mode is not possible under an unmodified IOS, backup disk or not.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To end this once and for all:

The Wii does not switch to GameCube compatibility on the fly. Instead, it has its own subsystem contained in NAND called MIOS. MIOS handles(or, rather, facillitates) the transition to GC mode, which includes blocking the upper 32MB of memory and disabling Bluetooth, WiFi, and the Front SD.

Among MIOS, is the actual GameCube ARM code that boots the GC discs. While this code is executed, it essentially "forgets" everything that occurred in Wii mode, because the memory is cleared.

The only way GCOS will ever work again is probably with Action Replay, as it's the only other device that will allow you to execute code after MIOS runs.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
well with older firmware and stuff like action replay you could read burned GC disks even tho its in GC mode, id still think its hardware based from starlet right, GC mode isnt complete emulation

Treflex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
denzil said:
Treflex said:
My answer to a similar post applies to your question, too. In addition to that, GCOS heavily relies on the ability of Gamecube software to directly access the disk data which in Wii mode is not possible under an unmodified IOS, backup disk or not.

So, from my understanding: the gamecube software can access disk data directly which GCOS piggybacks on and allows booting of backups, while the wii software cannot. This is what makes booting wii backups through a software method impossible, ATM.

Forgive me if I got it all wrong
unsure.gif

denzil said:
QUOTE(Treflex @ Jul 2 2008, 12:41 AM)
After reading over my initial post, I realize I was unclear; I was referring to wii backups in wii mode. I know that the memory is cleared when the wii enters gamecube mode and the wii exclusive hardware is locked, so that rules out the possibility of launching code during wii mode and carrying it into gamecube mode to play a gamecube backup. What I wanted to know is if the something similar to GCOS could be used in wii mode to launch wii backups; However after Denzil's explanation of how gcos works, I understand that the wii software does not allow this due to a difference in handling than that of the gamecube.
*phew*

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Treflex said:
the gamecube software can access disk data directly (...) while the wii software cannot. This is what makes booting wii backups through a software method impossible, ATM.
No. Logic suggests that legit Wii software cannot address the disk directly either, it will also only get the decrypted data. It would be possible, albeit hard, to create the same concept of an intermediary layer for Wii software.

No, the point is: The drive itself will not accept backups, or any regular formatted DVD disks for that matter. There is a slim possibility that the same commands a modchip sends to the drive controller to "persuade" it to accept backups can be sent from the Wii itself, but the IOS filters out those commands. Unless an IOS is hacked to let those commands through - which nobody is working on at the moment - there is no "software mod" to the drive controller, not even theoretically.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
denzil said:
No, the point is: The drive itself will not accept backups, or any regular formatted DVD disks for that matter. There is a slim possibility that the same commands a modchip sends to the drive controller to "persuade" it to accept backups can be sent from the Wii itself, but the IOS filters out those commands. Unless an IOS is hacked to let those commands through - which nobody is working on at the moment - there is no "software mod" to the drive controller, not even theoretically.

Even if IOS was hacked, the drive would still reject the disc.

It would be better if we could use USB Mass Storage devices or the front SD slot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: