Why does freeShop 3.0.0 and Luma Updater keep crashing?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by markmcrobie, Apr 27, 2017.

1. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    I was on 11.2, LumaCFW/A9LH and all working fine. Updated to 11.4, now Luma Updater and freeShop 3.0.0 just crash every time I try to open them - Luma at the "Checking for updated updater" stage and freeShop at the "Checking Cache" stage.

I've deleted both apps and reinstalled them, no luck. I tried a different fork of Luma updater, same problem.

I even did a system format of the New 3DS XL, and re-injected FBI and installed them again, same problem.

Happening on my son's New 3DS too.

Please help!

2. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    What version of Luma do you have?

3. chrisrlink

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    just a hunch on freeshop did you put EncTitleKeys.bin in (your SD card)\3ds\data\freeShop\keys\ ? note how "freeShop" is typed it has to be EXACTLY like that in order for freeshop to read the folder (if you don't have those folders just create them in whatever computer OS you use)

Last edited by chrisrlink, Apr 27, 2017 - Reason: bit more info
  4. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    If you used my fork of Luma Updater, I can't tell you why it crashes because I tried my fork on all of my systems and never experienced the crash on that part. And I don't know why it would crash. I only changed the URL to check for updates from Hamcha's URL to my URL. I didn't change any part of the code other than the text.

I did fresh installs and installed it over the old version as a test.

Last edited by KunoichiZ, Apr 27, 2017
  5. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    I have Luma 7.0.1

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Hmm, Luma Updater suddenly started working!

freeShop working too now - I think it's an internet problem, since Luma was crashing at "Checking for update" and freeShop was crashing at "Checking latest cache"

KunoichiZ likes this.
  6. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    I've noticed than on both 3DS consoles, when booted up, the internet icon at top left shows it's not connected, and says "Enabled" next to it. Manually going into internet settings and doing a Connection Test doesn't connect it either.

UPDATE: Nope, that's not it - I got it connected so it says "Internet", but freeShop and Luma still crash at same points. I still think it's an issue around not reaching whatever they're trying to connect to

7. Columbo2811

Columbo2811 GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 19, 2015
    Your not using an old dns setting are you that no longer works?

8. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    No, it's set to auto obtain from router, and everything else in house working fine.

UPDATE: CIAngel downloads it's wings.json file just fine, and doesn't crash

9. Columbo2811

Columbo2811 GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 19, 2015
    Dunno then. Have you got kids? They downloading loads of crap on PS4 etc? :)

10. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    Yeah, but just me in house today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Well I can't tell you what's wrong with Luma Updater. Just go back to the other Luma Updater if my fork isn't working for you. It connects just fine for me. :/

12. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    They both have the same issue

13. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Then there's probably something on Github's end that's causing the issue, since they both rely on Github to obtain the latest version.

14. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    Would that explain freeShop too, crashing at the "Checking latest cache" stage?

I tried on different wifi, same issue, so it's not my wifi. I can reach Google, etc, in the 3DS browser, and as I said CIAngel updated it's wings.json fine.

It started working randomly on my 3DS XL, so maybe it's a Github thing right enough - weirdly, neither freeShop nor Luma were updating, but as soon as one started working on my XL, so did the other.

15. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    freeShop's cache is on Github as well, so that could also be the issue there.

16. markmcrobie
    OP

markmcrobie GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    Yeah, after about 20 attempts, it suddenly started working. Must be a Github issue.