Gaming Why does everyone say FFIV have good graphic?

Edragon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry for being a noob but i dont think it has good graphic.
Monster Joker is way better 3D.

Sendoh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
eltrut said:
they aren't bad though.

didn't FFIV come out a lot before Monster Joker?

Nope, Joker came out in Dec '06, while FFIV came out in Dec '07 (both Japan release dates).

FFIV's graphics are still considered decent for the DS, when you look at some games who have sloppy 3D animations, or none at all. 2D sprite graphics do have their own appeal though, at least in my eyes.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Edragon said:
Sorry for being a noob but i dont think it has good graphic.
Monster Joker is way better 3D.

While this seems like a troll topic (most likly is) FF IV graphics are pretty good in my opinion,of course there are few areas that could use some fixing overall it's good for a handheld,if you want more well then stick to a console
tongue.gif

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mr.Mister said:
I always thought FFIV DS had a great 3D engine, especially during cutscenes.
Here's a touched-up screenshot courtesy of GamePro:
206519431vb5.jpg
Right, and that is really the way you see it on your DS screen, because it upscales the image to something it can't display.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final Fantasy 4 seems to get slapped for the "chibi" characters a lot. Dunno why as the original version on SNES looked even worse chibiness.

As for judging the graphics, Final Fantasy 4's animation is amazing. And inside the game were 3 slightly different engines used to portray the graphics:

1- the field gameplay. This is where you walk around towns, the world, or dungeons. It's pretty basic with just a few animation types like hand waving or basic movement. I've noticed the only major change between the field engine in Final Fantasy 3 and 4 is that 4 now uses 3D models for buildings in towns. In FF3DS, those buildings were just flat sprites without sides. Just a building front.

2- the battles. Square Enix found that the one way to fit more 3D characters on screen at once is to drop the framerate to about 25FPS. In other words, the game moves a little more choppy. The upside is that battles can now hold up to 11 character models at once, considerably more than Final Fantasy 3 DS, which could hold only 7 characters for battles (although it went at 60FPS).

3- the voiced cutscenes. Now HERE is where the game gets REALLY impressive. When a voiced cutscene, character animations receive a HUGE bump. Their faces show incredibly dynamic expressions. Their basic movement becomes varied instead of just basic gestures. And lastly, the lighting was changed to a dynamic form as shadow now appear much more varied.

I've noticed one thing about 3D on the DS- the DS seems to be really good at cell shading. That's what is seen in Dragon Quest Monsters Joker. It actually uses somewhat basic polygonal use and sticks to textures to impress you. I'll agree that some of the game looks amazing, but I'll also say that the 3D animation doesn't hold a candle to FF4's. I did like how the game uses a behind-the-back view as opposed to FF4's overhead view, but can't complain since the original 4 was the same.

BTW, for whoever liked the 3D in FF4, but wish to see what the engine would look like without big-headed characters, I suggest you try out Avalon Code. Avalon Code is made by Matrix, who developed the graphics for FF4DS, and the same graphics engine is used for the game. The difference though is that they even further improved the game engine's animation and made the characters with realistic proportions. And it's an action RPG.

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Probably because... it does?

Considering the DS' limitations, it's pretty impressive sometimes. The animation specially during the cutscenes is REALLY great, at first I doubted that was actually running on the hadware itself and there wasn't some kind of trick to it.

Mr.Mister

Trophies
Website
forum.72dpiarmy.com
XP
Country
United States
DBlaze said:
Mr.Mister said:
I always thought FFIV DS had a great 3D engine, especially during cutscenes.
Here's a touched-up screenshot courtesy of GamePro:
206519431vb5.jpg
Right, and that is really the way you see it on your DS screen, because it upscales the image to something it can't display.
I did say "Touched-up" didn't I?
unsure.gif

Also @ Granville: Good post!

sa1amandra

Gazzaro Launching!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SaGa 2 has better graphics than FF4. 3D Square Enix DS games get better and better. FFIII had good graphics, FFIV had better graphics in battle and field + voice action, Saga 2 will have full 3D similar to Joker, but more refined and a overworld.
A reason why Joker had better graphics cause they cut out the overworld and FF4 had voice acting + unique animatations per monster and character.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saga 2 has cell shaded 3D like DQMJ. The DS excels at cell shading using rather basic 3D geometry. For just 3D though, Final Fantasy 4 is one of the best and shows off incredible animation.

B

ball2012003

the graphics are alright but they are not the best
but they are good for the ds

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's what I'm talking about:

Dragon Quest Monster Joker:
933956_20071102_screen022.jpg

Saga 2:
1232424314058.jpg

Both of those games use cell shading to enhance the 3D character models. Dragon Quest 9 is also using this technique:

937281_20070512_screen005.jpg

And then you have Final Fantasy 4 which has just 3D without the cell shading:
939425_20080716_screen003.jpg

Nocturnius

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FFIV has good graphics for a ds game. if you care mostly about graphics then switch to a console or even a psp. Then your graphic hungriness will be fed till your fill. i do not even bother with much rpg for the ds anyways. i like to play rpg's that really shows off the world you are playing in and has an amazing gameplay mechanic. for that i need console rpg's so it can fully show the details of the world and such. but as a FF for a ds FFIV does great job. feels great. looks great, plays great. what more you want for a ds rpg?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DQ4-6 are actually using a 3D/2D hybrid engine. The environments are 3D, but the characters are 2D sprites. At least I SAY DQ6 will be this way. We haven't seen any screens of it yet. I just think it will use the same engine since it's part of their little trilogy remake.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning