Hacking Why do you think Nintendo hasn't attempted to ban CFW users?

Hamstermascot

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mostly because it's bad business and marketing. It will require more manpower, longer hours and there will be loads of 'bad' reviews concerning ban waves. Also considering what you have to do it's not done 1, 2, 3 by a random person. When I first got my 2ds after I sold my new 3ds months ago I was busy from 3pm in the afternoon till 10pm at night to get it work and I still messed up with accidently updating sysnand. I'm a college graduate with a bachelor for Business IT and Management. If you're not home in the whole 3ds scene, there's a high chance you won't even get it to work in a few hours.

Our current society is focussed on getting things done fast without problems. If they can't, they stop trying. Other than that the current AH9L can still brick your system and so can downgrading. Nintendo most likely knows all about this and just think it's not worth the hassle to keep banning over and over. It takes a lot more effort to detect CFW then for example someone playing a game on the sky3ds+ using a public header.

Reactions: NekoMichi

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That seems like a reach. The only substantial advantage over the DS Lite the DSi had was the camera, and the dsiware, with the huge disadvantage of dropping the GBA Slot. The N3DS on the other hand has all the same hardware support, just with the advantage of a few exclusive games like Xenoblade 3D (which is already better than most of the DSi exclusives combined), the ability to use SNES VC, and improved features in games, more so if you have CFW. Most people now when buying a 3DS for the first time will likely either be buying a New 3DS for the exclusives, or a 2DS/Used 3DS for a lower price (in my perspective, who knows, the O3DS might still be selling like hotcakes).

Also as a side note, I'm waiting for a New 2DS nintendo.

Seems like people are in heavy denail over the new 3ds lol. I bought the new 3ds knowing exactly what I was getting,some people here seem to be disillusioned that nintendo would replace the n3ds after 2-3 years when it constantly happens.

Hking0036

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like people are in heavy denail over the new 3ds lol. I bought the new 3ds knowing exactly what I was getting,some people here seem to be disillusioned that nintendo would replace the n3ds after 2-3 years when it constantly happens.
I'm not in denial over anything, I still have an o3ds xl and I have no intent of buying an n3ds. Looking at the hardware support, it's a better deal than the DSi was because it can still run all the same games, it has no drawback like the DSi other than cost. It is an objectively better upgrade to the o3ds than the dsi was to the DS Lite.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not in denial over anything, I still have an o3ds xl and I have no intent of buying an n3ds. Looking at the hardware support, it's a better deal than the DSi was because it can still run all the same games, it has no drawback like the DSi other than cost. It is an objectively better upgrade to the o3ds than the dsi was to the DS Lite.

Both were bad upgrades though lol,i bought into the hype and have both. Just saying nintendo has been cheapening out on hardware and it makes me angry since I have been a loyal customer for 20 years. I just want 75% of the power current gen consoles have and nintendo games with NORMAL controls. If we had a handheld like the psvita with nintendo games I would be enamoured with nintendo and I am sure many other people share the same sentiment.

Hking0036

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both were bad upgrades though lol,i bought into the hype and have both. Just saying nintendo has been cheapening out on hardware and it makes me angry since I have been a loyal customer for 20 years. I just want 75% of the power current gen consoles have and nintendo games with NORMAL controls. If we had a handheld like the psvita with nintendo games I would be enamoured with nintendo and I am sure many other people share the same sentiment.
I understand that perspective, but that's just not going to happen. Nintendo's perspective has always been to use out-of-date hardware in innovative ways, at least with the handhelds, since the original Game Boy with Gunpei Yokoi. Nintendo's MO isn't to push the line of hardware capability as much as to develop software with a strong understanding of what's already there, which is why they can milk so much out of their systems. As for the control scheme, I understand where you're coming from, the wii didn't stick with me because of how much they were trying to push the control scheme, but there's absolutely no problem with the 3ds' controls in my mind, if anything they're better than the vita that was trying to push the back touch pad and screen into everything (at least with the early titles, I sold my vita after I got a 3ds).

To me, the Wii U was a great step in the right direction, it saddens me to see it do so poorly considering the small but good library it has of stuff like Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, or Woolly World.

Last edited by Hking0036,

Hamstermascot

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I understand that perspective, but that's just not going to happen. Nintendo's perspective has always been to use out-of-date hardware in innovative ways, at least with the handhelds, since the original Game Boy with Gunpei Yokoi. Nintendo's MO isn't to push the line of hardware capability as much as to develop software with a strong understanding of what's already there, which is why they can milk so much out of their systems. As for the control scheme, I understand where you're coming from, the wii didn't stick with me because of how much they were trying to push the control scheme, but there's absolutely no problem with the 3ds' controls in my mind, if anything they're better than the vita that was trying to push the back touch pad and screen into everything (at least with the early titles, I sold my vita after I got a 3ds).

To me, the Wii U was a great step in the right direction, it saddens me to see it do so poorly considering the small but good library it has of stuff like Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, or Woolly World.

And now they're making a bad choice with the NX. That controller....

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The GC was up to par with other consoles and so was the n64....

Hking0036

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GC was up to par with other consoles and so was the n64....
Nintendo's perspective has always been to use out-of-date hardware in innovative ways, at least with the handhelds, since the original Game Boy with Gunpei Yokoi.

I'm aware that the home consoles were up-to-date (reasonably, if you disregard the side-track nintendo took of using carts over discs for the N64 era and their weird policy of 3D-only games). I'm talking mostly on the front of the handheld systems, of which I have more experience with anyways.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm aware that the home consoles were up-to-date (reasonably, if you disregard the side-track nintendo took of using carts over discs for the N64 era and their weird policy of 3D-only games). I'm talking mostly on the front of the handheld systems, of which I have more experience with anyways.

The handhelds didn't even have competition until ds vs psp. By the time the DS came out nintendo completely changed as a company to cheapen out on cost,the problem here is they STILL charge premium prices.

Hking0036

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The handhelds didn't even have competition until ds vs psp. By the time the DS came out nintendo completely changed as a company to cheapen out on cost,the problem here is they STILL charge premium prices.
That's a valid point, according to amazon a New N3DS costs more than a vita with WiFi right now, $15 more if the vita wasn't on sale here. That is excluding the Vita Memory Card vs an SD card though. Still, there's a more affordable option in the 2DS or 3DS. You can get a Refurb 2DS for $60 on their site, and an O3DS XL refurb for $115, which you could dismiss for not being new, but they're a real option if you call an n3ds the 'premium' line of 3ds hardware. Part of this is that (if I recall) Nintendo does profit off of their hardware sales, Sony and Microsoft both sell consoles at cost but then recoup that with software sales. I don't know what you mean by saying they changed as a company to cheapen out, though, if anything I think they're going that direction now if the NX rumors are true and they keep going down this mobile route.

5LzUmtm.png

Last edited by Hking0036,

justln

Trophies
XP
Country
Pirates are CFW users but not all CFW users are pirates. I buy physical games and install cia files simply because it's easier.

If Nintendo went on a banning spree, I would just buy less games or even stop gaming on the go. It makes more financial sense since pirates are a very small % compared to sales.

Last edited by justln,

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a valid point, according to amazon a New N3DS costs more than a vita with WiFi right now, $15 more if the vita wasn't on sale here. That is excluding the Vita Memory Card vs an SD card though. Still, there's a more affordable option in the 2DS or 3DS. You can get a Refurb 2DS for $60 on their site, and an O3DS XL refurb for $115, which you could dismiss for not being new, but they're a real option if you call an n3ds the 'premium' line of 3ds hardware. Part of this is that (if I recall) Nintendo does profit off of their hardware sales, Sony and Microsoft both sell consoles at cost but then recoup that with software sales. I don't know what you mean by saying they changed as a company to cheapen out, though, if anything I think they're going that direction now if the NX rumors are true and they keep going down this mobile route.

5LzUmtm.png

Yes nintendo does indeed profit off their HW,but I don't get why they couldn't just make great games and profit of the games.Kinda how the GC was is what i would like personally. Games like resident evil,donkey kong,mario,zelda with HD graphics could definately get nintendo back in the game. I also want to see the Cods and Maddens back on nintendo consoles.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Pirates are CFW users but not all CFW users are pirates. I buy physical games and install cia files simply because it's easier.

If Nintendo went on a banning spree, I would just buy less games or even stop gaming on the go. It makes more financial sense since pirates are a very small % compared to sales.
One of the biggest reasons why I got CFW was to play Bravely Default uncensored from @Asia81. Just feels more pure for some reason since that's what the developers intended the game to look like.

Hamstermascot

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Also have to mention that CFWs is legal, installing games without owning them is the illegal part. Personally I've done it for a few games, considering I did own them, but sold them along with my new 3ds back then. I do have to admit that I did download games I do not own or aren't supposed to run on my 2ds. Fire emblem fates special edition for example; hasn't released over in the netherlands.

Hamstermascot

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You are doing the good ol' "try before buy" method! Isn't the illegal part to download them and run them?

Well. Considering the piracy laws over here, I was actually still within the law. Considering I played it last month when it first released over in the US. Back then there wasn't even a release date for PAL regions. According to the dutch piracy laws we're allowed to play pirated games, as long as it didn't release over here nor are there any plans for it. I do have to say I never said anything about try before buying. I just said I admitted I downloaded some games that aren't over here yet and took fire emblem fates as an example.

[edit] I do have to say I want a try before I buy for digital only games though. I still regret buying that conception game.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I was just making a joke ;)

Intresting laws, better than the once here... Heck since some changes I'm afraid I might be caught pirating just buy looking at a digital game without buying it.

Hamstermascot

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was just making a joke ;)

Intresting laws, better than the once here... Heck since some changes I'm afraid I might be caught pirating just buy looking at a digital game without buying it.

I actually got caught once years ago when it was just possible to cfw your psp by changing the battery into a pandora one. I accidently kept seeding this megaman game and almost had to pay a 1000 euro fine. I was 16 back then so I got out of it. It's pretty much impossible to track the cia files, but it is possible to track CFW. It's just that they can't just ban every user with cfw and digital games. I admit I'm rather cheap when it comes to handheld games. They cost more than they're worth in nintendo never drops the price since the DS era.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ROFLMAO

omfg...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM