Why do you think Nintendo hasn't attempted to ban CFW users?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ArmoredGuns1, Mar 30, 2016.

1. ArmoredGuns1
    OP

ArmoredGuns1 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 27, 2007
    United States
    I don't know much about technical stuff involving it, but I think that if Nintendo really wanted to do it, they would've done it.

Think about it. For example, once you enter the eshop, it deletes pirated DLC... so why doesn't that generate a ban? Then there's also the emunand firmware version, like the RX-E or Rei prefix, isn't Nintendo able to see it? Or can someone savvy explain to us why Nintendo can't detect any kind of CFW or console modification? It shouldn't be too hard for them... or is it?

2. Faolan

Faolan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2015
    United States
    I've never really thought about it much, I'm just glad they aren't like Sony. Who know they could be planning a massive ban wave :P but we can unban our 3ds's now so it'd be pointless

3. GBHAKC75

GBHAKC75 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 26, 2008
    France
    First of all, for the DLC thing, they delete it because the signature is invalid. Thing is, a corrupted eShop download could also mean you have a CIA with a bad signature on your system (which is unlikely, but possible), so it's not a proof of piracy.

And no, Nintendo is not able to see the version cosmetic patch of CFWs, it's just changed on RAM, not writed on NAND.

Nintendo could detect CFWs if they really wanted to, but it's not the way Nintendo is, judging by the past (remember the Wii ?).

4. ArmoredGuns1
    OP

ArmoredGuns1 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 27, 2007
    United States
    Can we? How? :O

YharnamBadass likes this.
  5. GBHAKC75

GBHAKC75 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 26, 2008
    France
    There's a tutorial in the tutorial section ;)

6. Faolan

Faolan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2015
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken by editing your "secureinfo_A" file in Nand.

Edit:2
    Ninjad

Last edited by Faolan, Mar 30, 2016
  7. Disharmony16

Disharmony16 ~DooM-BringeR~

Aug 31, 2015
    United States
    Troll Islands
  8. funnystory

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    Well first of all they sell a piece of shit hardware for 200$ so they profit of you just on buying the outdated 3ds that they label "new"(I own a new 3ds btw).Secondly what good does banning you do? Just so you can call them and complain that you bought this nintendo used? They rather take your money and have 0.1% of the people pirate,than not take any of your money at all. Deep down they know piracy doesn't hurt sales because the people that pirate had no intention of buying the games anyways.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If they really wanted to they could do server sided bans.

Quantumcat likes this.
  9. Sumea

Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Aug 16, 2008
    Finland
    Turku
    Wii was genuinely where it could not be detected that well. Wii had no signature checks (when running) programs or anything like that and Wii was still more primitive in it's FW and stuff. 3DS would be more likely to have background processes for stuff especially added with firmwares and firmware updates now being mandatory for any online interaction.

10. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Nintendo is busy probably trying to find a foolproof method of detecting CFW that has little to no chance of false/accidental bans. My guess is that this will take a lot of work on Nintendo's end as Sony and Microsoft have been doing it for years.

the original Xbox banned softmodders (unless you had shadow C: and played online with legit discs only :ph34r:) and Sony started with the PS3 while giving people a deadline/grace period to drop CFW or get banned.

they did keep their word, my PSN account and console were not banned as I stopped using CFW when they announced their plan. Others who ignored the warning were banned as promised.

11. yifan_lu

yifan_lu @yifanlu

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    User didn't buy games so... ban them and prevent them from ever buying games again? Sounds reasonable.

EmuAGR and WeedZ like this.
  12. funnystory

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    Sony is also in a better financial position to ban peoples consoles.

13. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    please enlighten us on how the new 3ds is outdated and a piece of shit. if i remember correctly, you're the guy that started shit talking the 3ds because you couldnt get your downgrade to work and bricked.

14. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I do find it interesting that this is the method used rather than just banning online multiplayer. Instead, Xbox Live and PSN also bans store access and access to previous legit purchases either for download or even playback.

This will just make someone want to download more pirated games, especially if they lost any money to legit purchases that are now void as they will just download illegal copies of the digital games they once "owned" to make up for the loss.

15. FirstLady

FirstLady GBAtemp Regular

May 25, 2015
    United States
    If they ban people, they'll make even less money and create an atmosphere of distrust etc. They're not idiots :)

16. GBHAKC75

GBHAKC75 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 26, 2008
    France
    I doubt it. They would have done it a long time ago if that was their intention, since it's not really that hard to do. This is just not the way Nintendo works.

In facts, it would have suffice to introduce an hash check of IOS. Easy to do. They didn't.

17. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    If they ban people who pirate and/or use CFW they would be no different than Sony or Microsoft and people use their consoles every day without huge mistrust issues.

FirstLady likes this.
  18. funnystory

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    I never bricked I am on a9lh N3ds. Never once bricked you disrespectful 16 year old. It is bad hardware because the hardware is outdated,does that make sense to you?

19. FirstLady

FirstLady GBAtemp Regular

May 25, 2015
    United States
    Except, Nintendo consoles aren't nearly as popular as PS's and MS's, so there's a huge difference. Can they afford to alienate Nintendo users, chase them away etc? I think not. There's also publicity issues (Word of Mouth, Social Media) etc. to take into consideration. As it is, there's not much good publicity regarding Nintendo gaming, tbph. As I said, they're not stupid :/

funnystory likes this.
  20. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    When Nintendo started paying groups to lobby various countries to ban flash carts and make them illegal to own, they decided to alienate customers. Some countries have caved in and made it illegel already.

Nobody is going to give Nintendo bad publicity over banning CFW users other than maybe the EFF if they see the light in homebrew and FOSS (Free Open Source Software) alternatives like linux that can run on the 3DS.

Last edited by driverdis, Mar 30, 2016