Why do you need the physical version of OoT + a save dongle?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by LinkSoraZelda, Aug 13, 2015.

1. LinkSoraZelda
    OP

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    What's so special about it? Does it have to encrypt the save for use with your specific system?
    If you can import saves with the digital version, you wouldn't need the dongle, right? rd.png

2. ProspitPrince

ProspitPrince Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2015
    United Kingdom
    The game is used in a few exploits to run unsigned code, like Ninjhax. The save dongle is to put the edited save file onto it.

3. LinkSoraZelda
    OP

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    That's all it does?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That's my digital copy of OoT up there. Can't I just replace that save with the edited save?

4. ProspitPrince

ProspitPrince Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Essentially, that's the big deal surrounding it.

5. LinkSoraZelda
    OP

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    I double posted above you.

6. ProspitPrince

ProspitPrince Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Yeah probably, but you'd need SaveDataFiler to insert the exploit into it.

7. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    The save files for digital games are encrypted by an unique key tied to your handheld, I do believe. If they weren't, save editing for Pokemon and homebrew (assuming the games weren't encrypted) all together probably would have cropped up sooner. Cartridges, on the other hand, aren't. As they have to be able to be read by other 3DSs as well.

8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yep, encrypted and signed, so you cant modify unless the console in question is already hacked to run SDF.......also gateways oot exploit save is hard coded to load the exploit from a specific offset in the game carts save chip.....so even if you do write the exploit save to the digital version it still requires a cart inserted with the exploit payload at the correct offset.........the cart can be any game cart at all though (except card2 games i assume) which is fun i guess ^_^

not to mention the fact this would only be useful for people on 9.2 who happened to already have a digital copy of oot on their n3DS which leaves a very small group of people, probably not worth the effort for GW to look into it as its whole purpose is pretty much defeated by the fact you would already need to have you system hacked via CN/downgraded MSET to even install the save, in which case you can just use MSET for a cartless entry point

Last edited by gamesquest1, Aug 13, 2015