WHY DO THEY DO THAT?

pootman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's right, topics with titles that tell you nothing about the thread.

There's nothing I loathe and despise more than the idiots in this world who think "PROBLEM HELP ME PLEASE!" is a good title for a thread.

If I was a moderator I would automatically lock any thread that didn't give you a summary of the topic in the title.

If I was God I would automatically sterilise anyone who started such a topic, to improve the internet for future generations.

Thanks, I needed that.

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That wouldnt work. THINK ABOUT IT. If someone has a problem, and it was to long to fit in the TITLE. Obviously they would have to write a title saying they have a problem, and then explaining it in the topic. THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I totally agree with you! Every time I see a thread that says
"I got a question" = Why Not type your freaking question rather than saying I got a question?
"Name of the game" = Instead of saying Megaman Star Force and just that...why not say what about the game want to talk about and save me a god damn click
"Does anyone else wish they would make...." = There is a sub category so if you run out of room....you can use that and again save me a click

Again everytime I see shit like above I've wanted to make a thread like this but have been too lazy

@Your wrong jgu1994 you can fit a LOT in the top two subject lines. Enough to tell people what you need

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Making these kinds of titles are NOT GOOD FOR ARCHIVING. It would be nice to have problems solved with less fragmentation.

Some people aren't patient and/or creative enough to make a title that is specific enough for people to understand. It causes a problem with the thoroughness of search sometimes, unless you type out an assload of keywords that just *might* match with the users writing style. It's a vicious cycle really. ::sigh::

EDIT: Sticky something like this thread, some guideline, or rules in every thread topic and subtopic? Maybe there's a better way to try to reduce the "over-generalized" threads.
grog.gif

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is alot you can fit, but there is also alot you cant fit. Besides, on the frontpage, it only shows the first line of the title, not the subtitle. So, you can fit many things into two lines, but few things into 1 line.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is alot you can fit, but there is also alot you cant fit. Besides, on the frontpage, it only shows the first line of the title, not the subtitle. So, you can fit many things into two lines, but few things into 1 line.

OBJECTION! Hover over the link.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agree with people here, I'm also sick of the usual titles where people just name a game and then inside the thread it just says "Iz it owt yet?" I find it kinda silly really, its not like there aren't enough resources on the net to tell you and when a game HAS been dumped theres threads here that tell us, even if they aren't official GBAtemp release threads.

Another thing thats annoying is topics like "DIABLO DS!!!!", you click on it hoping to see news of a DS game and instead you get "woodant it b gud?"

Anyway rant rant rant, it'll still go on as will the "how do I download" and "werz n64 ds emulater plz?". Maybe I need to learn to tolerate, I'm sure people tolerate my ramblings.

pootman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That wouldnt work. THINK ABOUT IT. If someone has a problem, and it was to long to fit in the TITLE. Obviously they would have to write a title saying they have a problem, and then explaining it in the topic. THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK

Here's a topic title for you:
"CANNOT SUMMARIZE LOW IQ"

@WIG - That was funny. Really, really funny. You made my day.

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What it comes down to is in my opinion since the boards went to mandatory membership we get a lot more BS. Obviously I know not to waste my time clicking on anything N64 related in the the DS section, and 90% of the time if a person types "Question" and just "Question" I won't read it...if I am bored I may read it but if I know the answer I won't reply cause I don't want to feed the fire. Bottom line I'd say this is one of the main reason's I have become much more inactive around the fourms

Here is a good one on the top 10 right now:
EZ 3-in-1 question maybe si... = Can you blank out last game on 3in1?
Since there is a EZ-Flash sub forum we know your talking about the EZ line of products and the 3in1 tells us which one

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Code:
Problem With Gamenamehere
Gamenamehere Keeps Crashing
Is Gamenamehere out yet?
Is my Gamenamehere supposed to smell like this?
My Gamenamehere fell off

Any topic can be summarized in the thread title - its been scientifically proved by germans
lecture.gif

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here is a good one on the top 10 right now:
EZ 3-in-1 question maybe si... = Can you blank out last game on 3in1?
Since there is a EZ-Flash sub forum we know your talking about the EZ line of products and the 3in1 tells us which one

Sorry about that. Next time will get rid of EZ portion.

pootman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was at some download site a few days ago, can't remember the name, and downloads were based on participation in the forum, and as a result the mods were pretty strict about new topics. At first I thought they were too heavy, but as I browsed I to realised what a great thing it was. They were cutting out the dead wood almost as soon as it appeared.

That made me think (in my "getting old, getting grumpy" way) Yes! Stop the rot! "No duplicate topics" is only the beginning! Lets drag these idiots up by their noses and make them look twice at what they're posting before they post!

Start a subforum called "If you'd googled this question the answer would have been top of the list!" Then moderators can just move the topic, the idiots have their answer, the rest of us are untainted my their idiocy!

And as for untitled topics, if you came up to me in the street and shouted "PROBLEM HELP ME PLEASE" I'd try to calm you down and then phone the nearest psychiatric institution to tell them they'd lost one!

Do NOT get me started on uninvited PM's. If I want a private conversation, I'll hunt you down.

I am having a bad day.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i wish there was a star rating system, the red envolope is ok but useless alot of times, would be nice for people to vote which topic is good

"Help i dont understand" *
"R4DS wont fit up my ass" ***
"GBATemp branded condoms free!!!" *****

kinda like that

*Edit*
also almost forgot the important part, search for popular topic, sort by star rating etc would help too so people can read popular or meaningful topics first

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol