Gaming why do they continue to put dvd drives in laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nin10do

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
i thought they would have died out by now. i doubt blue ray is going to be big on laptops. so why keep putting dvd drives in new laptops?

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
install software, play games, watch movies, burn discs

it's still useful, even though those things can all be done online.

nin10do

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
most software is available online, as are games and movies. now with 8gig mem sticks i didn't think anyone burnt disks anymore.

i'm hoping usb3.0 will finally kill off cd's.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nin10do said:
i doubt blue ray is going to be big on laptops. so why keep putting dvd drives in new laptops?

Lol you answered your own question
rolleyes.gif
DVD drives are cheap and very useful.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Because floppy drives are no longer useful?

Or maybe they do it to make you ask stupid questions such as "why do they continue to put dvd drives in laptops?".

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a solid question it's just could have been thought out before asked.
It's kind of the same reason we still use Hard Disk Drives and not Solid-State drives.

Filter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep backups on DVD/CDS because hard drives and flash drives fail. And its useful for ripping CD/Movies as well as burning data for people who don't have flash drives.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
nin10do said:
most software is available online, as are games and movies. now with 8gig mem sticks i didn't think anyone burnt disks anymore.

i'm hoping usb3.0 will finally kill off cd's.
Why? USB flash drives are considerably more expensive than disk media. Imagine paying $20 more for every single game. USB 2.0 is faster than DVD access speeds already, and we aren't seeing USB flash drives overtake DVDs. Many people like to have a physical media of the game rather than buy from Steam or pirate. And DVDs are still a great cheap backup solution. Also, DVDs are the only current official way to install Windows.
grog.gif
lecture.gif

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I, for one, like to install items on my laptop.

Yes, alot of software can be downloaded.... but what if I need to install a new OS? How am I going to download an OS to install when I can't burn it?

How am I going to install that new printer or digital camera if I can't pop the CD in? I don't want to take half an hour hunting for the driver, downloading it, and installing when I can just put a disc in a drive.

And for that matter... why do they keep putting platter hard drives in laptops when solid states have been around for so long? I mean, they are going to take over, so why not just toss them in now! I mean, geeze, come on! What's the hold up! I want my BluRay drive, with solid state HD, and for that matter, where the fuck is my holographic display??

Oh shit... scratch that last idea... where the hell is my HOLODECK!! Screw your primitive computers! I want my freakin HOLODECK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte