Gaming why do they continue to put dvd drives in laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
nin10do said:
i thought they would have died out by now. i doubt blue ray is going to be big on laptops. so why keep putting dvd drives in new laptops?

Blu-Ray drives are barely common in PCs, and Laptops always lag behind what the PC can do (in almost every case). Flash drives still cost more then your average DVD (even the RWs) and SSDs are even more expensive. If you consider carrying a regular hard drive around, you're a bit silly (one drop and boom! all your stuff is gone). DVDs, while a bit bigger, are much more portable while still keeping durability if you treat them right (i.e. keep them in a case, don't fling them around the room like frisbees). Plus, chances are, whatever you want to store on DVDs probably isn't as big as a DVD-ROM anyway, so getting an even bigger storage solution is overkill.

Plus, DVDs can be used in DVD players, which are a lot more common then Home Theatre PCs
tongue.gif

rhyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zidane_genome said:
I, for one, like to install items on my laptop.

Yes, alot of software can be downloaded.... but what if I need to install a new OS? How am I going to download an OS to install when I can't burn it?

How am I going to install that new printer or digital camera if I can't pop the CD in? I don't want to take half an hour hunting for the driver, downloading it, and installing when I can just put a disc in a drive.

And for that matter... why do they keep putting platter hard drives in laptops when solid states have been around for so long? I mean, they are going to take over, so why not just toss them in now! I mean, geeze, come on! What's the hold up! I want my BluRay drive, with solid state HD, and for that matter, where the fuck is my holographic display??

Oh shit... scratch that last idea... where the hell is my HOLODECK!! Screw your primitive computers! I want my freakin HOLODECK!!

You forgot the 600 processor upgrade to get that extra 333 mhz
ohmy.gif

Its because of 3 things

Price
Availablity
People only buy blueray movies if they have a blueray player

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
moodswinger said:
swimmeringer said:
Scorpei said:
QUOTE said:
I keep backups on DVD/CDS because hard drives and flash drives fail.
FAIL
tongue.gif

How does this "fail?"

Because DVDs are more likely to fail than hard drives and flash drives. DVDs are vulnerable to scratches and stuff.

It's called buying slim cases for them all, or actually taking care of your stuff...

I still have the very first CD-R I ever burnt... a music mix CD, and I still play it in my car! That was well over 5 years ago! Still works, and almost no scratches on it other than the normal wear from my cars CD player (it's a loader, like the Wii)...

My first DVD burnt was a movie, that I just watched yesterday, and I've had it for almost 3 years now.

Hard Drives fail a lot more often then DVD's fail... keep your backups in a case, on a shelf, and there's no chance of it being scratched!

Oh, and HD's are vulnerable to power surges, magnetic fields, internal hardware failure, bullets (don't laugh, friend had his HD killed by a stray shot on the 4th of July!)

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
So you can use all the software, games and other things that have been released the last decade, and which are still coming out on dvd-rom.

Thats why.

End of!

This is the stupidest question I have seen on the forum.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Anyway, I think this topic has been answered to death. If nin10do wants it re-opened (for a good reason, mind), then he is more then welcome to PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: