Why do some people here have more than one flashcard?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by KataNoob, Jan 1, 2010.

1. KataNoob
    OP

Newcomer KataNoob Member

Sweden
    I have done some browsing in these forums and as it seems, alot of you guys have more than one flashcard, why is that?
    Do the flashcards break easily or are you collecting them all just for the fun of it? Oo

I'm out of my mind here so please tell me, why do you need more than ONE flashcard? [​IMG]

2. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    Some people get one, and they aren't satisfied with it, so they get another (or more) to upgrade from their current ones.

For me, I just like having a couple of the better ones because in case a game comes along that doesn't work with one, it could possibly work on another. Also, each cart has its own advantages and disadvantages so having more than one allows me to switch around when I want.

3. Danny Tanner

Member Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Different compatibility and features and firmware.

These days most cards get a patch or firmware update for each game eventually, but even just a year or two back, some major flashcarts had very incomplete working rom catalogs. It's not as important these days but its still nice to have a few cards to fall back on.

4. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    Back in the day flashcarts were both inferior and more expensive than todays cards. The "boom" in people buying flashcarts came when the R4 card was released at its budget price a number of years ago.

I'd assume that this is how many people were introduced into the ds emulation "scene". Nowadays there are better cards out there than the R4 (for example) that are being sold at cheaper prices so it'd only make sense for those with the money and desire to get an upgrade.

Then there are other common reasons such as the need for a dsi compatible card, wanting a backup cart, game compatibility differences between carts (or a cart no longer being supported), having nothing better to spend their money on etc.

Personally I've never felt the need to switch from my R4 card which I got 3 years ago (IIRC) as it still plays all the games that I want to play.

5. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    People got flashcarts and then the developers stopped supporting them (DS-X), so they got a different card that was regularly updated (CycloEvo), and then got a DSi, so they needed a compatible card (AceKard2). Or at least that's how the flashcart situation ran in our household.

6. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Flashcarts eventually stop being supported. As most are so cheap these days, people move on and buy another. Either that a few individuals have a compulsive disorder to purchase any new flashcart. [​IMG]

7. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    for me, i started with an R4, when the anti-piracy got more widely used i found my R4 wasn't up to it

without the need to patch or use ysmenu, and being new to the scene, i wasn't up to doing the

patching or installing ysmenu, everyone was getting their roms to work on the acekard and cyclods

very quickly, so i decided i wanted both the acekard and cylods

8. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    Some people just want to collect Flash carts or they just want to get the Best Flash cart available, so that they won't face as much problems (Anti-Piracy, Freezing, etc) while playing games.

9. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    Just because we want to be updated. [​IMG]

10. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Every few months a major release pops up that can't be played on some flash cards for abit, even some of the best ones have this happen, Having more than one flash card helps in that situation and with most flash cards costing less than £10, why not?

11. KataNoob
    OP

Newcomer KataNoob Member

Sweden
    Alright guys, I got a much better understanding of the Flash Cards now.
    Thanks for your replies [​IMG]

12. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    4 the ladies

13. tajio

Member tajio GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Some like collecting flashcarts [​IMG] I like flashcarts cause I like the design of the carts, Interface, box designs, and the price! [​IMG]

14. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    The reason i have more than 1 flash cart is for cheat/game testing purpose

otherwise, i use only my ak2i (DSi) or scds1i (DSL)

15. Leo Cantus

Member Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

United Kingdom
    What I wanna know is whether its flashcarT or flashcarD?
    Someytimes people say cart and some people say card

16. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    Technically, for NDS only, it's flashcarD, since the game card is actually CALLED a Gamecard on the DS. Everywhere else it's flashcart though.

17. xalphax

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    The answer is simple:

Because they can't have more than one penis.

18. DiD

Newcomer DiD Newbie

Belgium
    Don't see the relevance in the answer above my post here, but I guess that's my fault. [​IMG]

So nobody has more then one brand of flashcard to see a theme / skin design you make in action or to test it?

In our home there are three R4's ( Two with YSMenu, one with firmware 1.18 ) and an AK2i. Also planning to get a M3i Zero to test those themes.

19. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    I have two flashcards because the first one I bought was an R4.

20. Todderbert

Member Todderbert GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Collecting is cool.
    Edge, Acekard 2, 2i, CycloDS, M3iZero, R4, R4 SDHC, DSTT, DSTTi, and EZVi. I use the Acekard the most. Edge is dedicated as a pure homebrew cart. Cyclo is my media center and the others are used for odds and ends and because they were ultra cheap. [​IMG]