Why do people who like sports feel the need to choose a particular team?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I never quite got why that is a bad thing, granted I can not see it being a positive thing (unless you are betting), but it is nothing I can see being especially riled up about.

Yeah perhaps. I guess its just that because I'm part of the older generation it used to be somewhat different maybe 25 years ago. You picked your team back then on affiliation for the most part. For example you live in an area close to a team, family ties etc. Nowadays its not like that. You'll get idiots now who when they find out you don't support one of the bigger sides in the country will be like "why do you want to support "x" team for, they are shit". Supporting a team shouldn't be about whether they win everything year on year.

But then these same people will don an England shirt during the tournaments spouting "its where we come from" even though we don't realistically ever have a chance of winning anything. That's the point where I come out and say something like "so why don't you just support someone like Spain, Germany or Brazil, who are more likely to win" and they look at you gone out!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah perhaps. I guess its just that because I'm part of the older generation it used to be somewhat different maybe 25 years ago. You picked your team back then on affiliation for the most part. For example you live in an area close to a team, family ties etc. Nowadays its not like that. You'll get idiots now who when they find out you don't support one of the bigger sides in the country will be like "why do you want to support "x" team for, they are shit". Supporting a team shouldn't be about whether they win everything year on year.

But then these same people will don an England shirt during the tournaments spouting "its where we come from" even though we don't realistically ever have a chance of winning anything. That's the point where I come out and say something like "so why don't you just support someone like Spain, Germany or Brazil, who are more likely to win" and they look at you gone out!

Going back to the last week tonight video where the guy drew parallels between religion and football it would seem there are some disturbing similarities -- I follow the religion of my father/family, and if they do not exist then the one of the land and the land shall be held as superior even when it probably wasn't.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Why do people who like games feel the need to choose a particular console? You know.

Just changed two words and it applies pretty much to all, even those damn religions.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If you support a team, you should do it in good and bad, just like marriage. Not only when everything's good. That's my opinion! That's a true fan, a true supporter. Supporter. not I-like-you-when-you're-good-er.

Then now in the world cup I'm cheering for Costa Rica and has been from the very start before they even played a match. So not because they're doing extraordinary well, but because their number 5 Celso Borges plays in my club team (Swedish AIK).
(Because Sweden didn't make it this time)

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Too lazy to read any of the walls posted here, but it's a rather simple concept.

It's more exciting to cheer for a side.

It's all well and fun to sit there in your top hat and monocle sipping tea and proclaiming "Good show!" quietly at your tv when watching sports, but when you attach yourself to a team it adds a much stronger layer of emotion and immersion. Whether someone is saddened by their team losing, or ecstatic over victory, humans enjoy feeling emotion. When you don't root for a certain team, it removes a vast majority of the excitement. Sure there will still be some excitement, but no where near as much.

I personally find sports to be extremely boring, but hey. I used to watch the girls volleyball team in highschool, that was about the extent of my sports watching. Buut that's off-topic.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you support a team, you should do it in good and bad, just like marriage. Not only when everything's good. That's my opinion! That's a true fan, a true supporter. Supporter. not I-like-you-when-you're-good-er.

Then now in the world cup I'm cheering for Costa Rica and has been from the very start before they even played a match. So not because they're doing extraordinary well, but because their number 5 Celso Borges plays in my club team (Swedish AIK).
(Because Sweden didn't make it this time)

Pretty much, I would do the same thing if Belgium failed yet again (remember Euro 2012, God that was awful). Pick some players of my favourite team and cheer for them.
It's always more fun to cheer for someone than to cheer for no one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i really want a new mario kart