Hacking Why do people still insist on sticking with Gateway?

DarkCrudus

The Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As I had gotten and set it up back when it was the only thing that was around. I still use it. Even have a9lh and luma but I've already downloaded backed up all my games in the .3ds format and just to lazy to convert to cia, download/install cia. convert all my .savs to cia saves and import them.

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ease to use, I do not want to look into/study another 300 articles about how to use luma/ahl or whatever it is called.

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As soon as A9lh cfw came out (or arm9 or whatever it was called. My studies have kept me away from the 3ds scene for a while now so don't judge me) I sold my gateway and old 3ds and bought a new 3ds xl and was still able to do the things I did on my old 3ds with the new one: pirate away.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why? It seems like everyone on gbatemp is a broke school/college kid with no money. Gateway costs $60, thats a price of one original game. For me its absolutely worth it just because it saves so much time with direct .3ds loading (nothing beats grabbing full romset from usenet and copying it at 30-40mb/s on fast microsd) and cheating my way through hard games that I don't want to grind. And I can use that saved time to earn much more than $60 heh.
Maybe its a grown up-problem but personally i have more free money than free time and anything that saves me some time is worth it...so yeah, thats that. And you can of course use it with a9l/luma/rei/whatever you want.
Here's the thing though, this is still a product that someone pays for. One would hope to get the support of a paid product, something that is at least on par with free replacements. It's not the software nor even the hard that bothers me. It's that people have paid this team for their support and quite frankly, it's rather lack luster support. Sure they are still supporting their very first versions, but they are also spending weeks to even months creating a CFW that an unpaid dev fixed in like a day. That doesn't set well with me, I expect better out of an already paid for service.

nccom

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
this is still a product that someone pays for.
That someone payed for. And if you got gateway in 2014 like most ppl did you already got your money's worth just by pirating 2-3 games on it (assuming $30-40 price per game).
Sure they are still supporting their very first versions
They do, unlike 99% of flashcard manufacturers:
pic12-samebuildasr4iihjzy.jpg

All gateway clones are currently dead (3ds link, orange 3ds, r4i gold 3ds, mt-card, bluecard, supercard dstwo plus, ez-flash redux is almost dead) while gateway is still working.
So in the world of flashcards this is almost unheard of.
spending weeks to even months creating a CFW that an unpaid dev fixed in like a day
That unpaid dev doesnt care if somebody will copy his code. Gateway is in the different situation.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That someone payed for. And if you got gateway in 2014 like most ppl did you already got your money's worth just by pirating 2-3 games on it (assuming $30-40 price per game).

They do, unlike 99% of flashcard manufacturers
The 2014 argument doesn't make it better. You are missing the point here. People paid money and they aren't getting proper support for their product. Compared to the maybe 3 days some CFW had to wait for their CFW to update to 11.3 to the now 3 months Gateway users have had to wait. There's no way, even supporting older carts, that this should be taking this long. And this isn't one update either, this happens far too often to be acceptable.
If they are struggling with supporting their CFW, they should just release the source code. Acekard released their source code and were even able to kill off Acekcard clones, without shorting the entire system. Gateway could easily do the same thing instead of making their users wait for months to update a product that they paid for.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country

They do, unlike 99% of flashcard manufacturers:
View attachment 84382

All gateway clones are currently dead (3ds link, orange 3ds, r4i gold 3ds, mt-card, bluecard, supercard dstwo plus, ez-flash redux is almost dead) while gateway is still working.
So in the world of flashcards this is almost unheard of.

That unpaid dev doesnt care if somebody will copy his code. Gateway is in the different situation.
There's a reason why all the gateway clones are dead cause gateway think there fucking special and no one can copy them. Stop fricking defending them there useless now, I brought cards too in 2014 but it's time you moved on. I've 3 cards that are now fucking worthless cause no one wants one.
IMG_5914.JPG My 3 worthless flashcards

Reactions: DeslotlCL

nccom

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
And I think its you who are completely missing the point:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway...g-update-in-april.464936/page-15#post-7247079
Nobody promised you support 3 years after release. All other companies have completely disappeared. They have to rewrite huge part of system and who is going to pay them now when everybody is shilling for free CFWs?
If they are struggling with supporting their CFW, they should just release the source code.
Ahaha, thats golden. Release source code to completely kill their system? Just look up the price on ProASIC3 and compare it with gateway price. Closed and heavily encrypted source is the only reason why they're still alive.
gateway think there fucking special and no one can copy them.
Think? At least 4 other manufacturers have tried to copy them and they all failed.
but it's time you moved on
I won't for the reasons stated at previous page.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I would personally know why people are so bothered, only reason I see for people constantly spamming gateway threads with the same bs over and over is to massage their own ego about how intelligent they are and how their opinion is sooooo much better......again as a GW owner I hardly use it (in fact I very rarely have time to play my 3ds at all lately) but if I use gateway or luma, it doesn't matter at all to anyone else, and I would like to be able to see what stuff gateway are up to without "guys I have a big peen, do you wanna see?...........no?..........well imma tell you anayway.....did you know my peen is updated every 2 days, it boots a ginormous 0.2 seconds faster than gateway etc etc etc"

Nobody gives a shit, we all already know from the last 72 posts in the same thread stating the exact same shit as the past 20 posts from other people saying the exact same shit, how about, you look for a gateway thread, look if someone has already shot their luma load all over it and leave it at that, no need to make it a circle jerk of the same crap over and over, anyone looking will already know that shit regardless

Last edited by gamesquest1,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ahaha, thats golden. Release source code to completely kill their system? Just look up the price on ProASIC3 and compare it with gateway price. Closed and heavily encrypted source is the only reason why they're still alive.
Because releasing the source code killed Acekard, am I right?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? It wouldn't matter if they had to rewrite squat. They've had more than enough time to fix minor changes to the firmware their launcher works on. The simply don't care enough to keep updates in real time. I'm sorry, I don't care if they had to rewrite it from scratch it's pretty sad for a corporation to fail to keep their software updated when freeware devs do it same day more often than not. Yeah there might be more work involved, but if ONE person can update their own CFW patches to work on new updates within a matter of hours or days, there is no excuse for a business that charges as much as Gateway when they have a team. Seriously.

Last edited by Majickhat55,

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
it's pretty sad for a corporation to fail to keep their software updated when freeware devs do it same day more often than not.
AFAIK, Gateway consists of a small team. I don't know how much money they get from the sale of Gateway cards, but it's probably not enough to make a living off of, meaning they have day jobs. People with day jobs have limited free time, a problem that plagues even the developers of free CFW. Also, don't forget, the early developers of free CFW have disappeared, while Gateway (which is by no means still active) is still kinda around.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK, Gateway consists of a small team. I don't know how much money they get from the sale of Gateway cards, but it's probably not enough to make a living off of, meaning they have day jobs. People with day jobs have limited free time, a problem that plagues even the developers of free CFW. Also, don't forget, the early developers of free CFW have disappeared, while Gateway (which is by no means still active) is still kinda around.
True enough, perhaps I thought Gateway was bigger than they are in other countries. Either way, if you charge someone for a product you make in your free time and advertise support+updates for said product. It doesn't exactly make you look good to current or new customers by continuously saying "soon" and never delivering.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all