DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I remember when I was a kid (about 10 years ago), ROMs were all over the internet, and all the ROM sites had the 24 hour notice. Now, it's harder to find ROMs, and I never see the notice anymore.

I'm pretty sure some laws got passed and that's why ROMs are just plain illegal now. I don't think the 24 hour thing was b.s, it was more like a temporary decree since this was when the internet started to become popular.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Know YOUR country's laws, it matters.

The laws of the US don't apply in Canada, nor do the laws in the UK. And Japanese law doesn't mean anything in Canada for the obvious reason Japanese law is not Canadian law.

If Nintendo tells me I can't make a copy of a game I can hold in my hands and illustrate it is genuine and indeed my purchased item, I am legally in my rights as a Canadian under Canadian law, to tell them to get bent and do it anyway.

You see, in Canada, I have the legal right to make a back up of my media. And it doesn't matter who made it or where or how and on which manner of device they made it to sell it.

That's Canadian law though, so quoting me in the UK is a waste of time for a non Canadian outside of Canada.

My favourite Canadian law though has to be where any form of EULA encountered AFTER my cash hits the counter is effectively null and void, because in Canada, not disclosing copy protection prior to sale renders any documentation invalid.

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here's the thing - when you buy a game, you purchase the legal right to own a single copy of that game - - as opposed to the physical disc or whatever. Therefore, making a copy as long as you still have the original is for all intent purposes, legal. As long as you don't do something such as have 2 copies installed on 2 different PC's type thing. Now, the illegal part is how those back ups are made. Since they have protection which is illegal to break. So its all a bit iffy really. Nintendo are putting in protection stopping you having your legal right to protect that which you've purchased.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk