Why do people go crazy over the nes and snes classic editions?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Because people are dumb enough to not realize you can get way better emulation and even more consoles emulated by simply buying a Raspberry Pi with RetroPie installed. xD
Oh and cheaper too.

I don't know, it might be just because it's Nintendo, and people like to flock around Nintendo stuff like fucking vulture's waiting for a dead prey.

Reactions: cvskid

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
How is it difficult to plug in an SD to a computer, run a program to install retropie, then turn on the raspberry pi and plug in a USB drive to transfer roms? And you seem to be under the assumption the raspberry pi is powered differently, when in fact it is powered exactly like the snes classic via micro USB. The raspberry pi is equally small, if not smaller too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the snes classic, but people need to actually look into how the pi works before assuming it's complicated

It's a lot more complicated that just "remove from box" and insert cables into television and power.

Seriously, I like tinkering with my 3DS....but the SNES mini fills a niche.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How is it difficult to plug in an SD to a computer, run a program to install retropie, then turn on the raspberry pi and plug in a USB drive to transfer roms? And you seem to be under the assumption the raspberry pi is powered differently, when in fact it is powered exactly like the snes classic via micro USB. The raspberry pi is equally small, if not smaller too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the snes classic, but people need to actually look into how the pi works before assuming it's complicated
You should mention that a raspberry pi 3 setup is not that much cheaper than an SNES mini ($35 for the pi, 10 for a case, another 10 for a micro SD card, another 10 for a 2A power supply, another 30€ for a set of decent controllers = ~95). Yes it plays pretty much all retrogames you ant but from having built one for my bedroom myself I can tell you that input lag on the raspberry is really killing a lot of gameplay fun.

Reactions: cvskid

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Conversely, why do people who prefer using a no-frills emulator that works out of the box and want to use legally sanctioned emulation for games that haven't had an official digital release in over twenty years. being ridiculed?

If people want to use NERD's Snes emulator (and hack it later), why the hell does it matter what people do with their money? I'm sorry that I don't want to have to buy all the parts, put them all together, get an SD card, or case, or PSU/AC adapter, computer board, and install the OS. If people want to get them, who are you to complain? I could easily ask the same on why people get hard ons over Raspberry Pi 3 machines when people want to support developers.:creep:

It's not so one-sided now, is it?

"Oh no, people want to support officially, and legally sanctioned emulators by supporting developers, oh the horror!" :rolleyes::lol:

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: Localhorst86

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Because people are dumb enough to not realize you can get way better emulation and even more consoles emulated by simply buying a Raspberry Pi with RetroPie installed. xD
Oh and cheaper too.

I don't know, it might be just because it's Nintendo, and people like to flock around Nintendo stuff like fucking vulture's waiting for a dead prey.
If you do the math, a retrofit setup is not really a lot cheaper.

But what annoys me is the fact that you need to go out of your way to call people names to back up your argument.

Most people can see what advantages a retropie setup can potentially have bit can also see the appeal of a SNES mini. Why is it that either side needs to be called "stupid"? Why not appreciate both?

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You should mention that a raspberry pi 3 setup is not that much cheaper than an SNES mini ($35 for the pi, 10 for a case, another 10 for a micro SD card, another 10 for a 2A power supply, another 30€ for a set of decent controllers = ~95). Yes it plays pretty much all retrogames you ant but from having built one for my bedroom myself I can tell you that input lag on the raspberry is really killing a lot of gameplay fun.
Haha the amount of people that blame the Pi itself for input lag.... wired up, and more importantly hooked up to a good TV, and there's less lag than the SNES Mini, un-noticeable! I once thought the same myself, until I changed my TV.....

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Haha the amount of people that blame the Pi itself for input lag.... wired up, and more importantly hooked up to a good TV, and there's less lag than the SNES Mini, un-noticeable! I once thought the same myself, until I changed my TV.....
No. There is not. Using the same TV, same HDmi input, same cables etc. I can notice a horrible input delay on retroarch (the emulator used in retropie) I am not blaming the pi, I can notice the same delay on retroarch for my PSTV or my android TV box.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used a Bluetooth controller and haven't had enough lag to be noticeable. Only a few games cause some kind of issue, but I'm fine with that considering I have almost every game for the snes in my library, now including Starfox 2.
If people want the snes classic that's fine, but you get much more for your money with a retropie setup which is why I prefer it. Multiple systems, way more games, support for multiple controllers (including Bluetooth). I just prefer to have those features.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you do the math, a retrofit setup is not really a lot cheaper.

But what annoys me is the fact that you need to go out of your way to call people names to back up your argument.

Most people can see what advantages a retropie setup can potentially have bit can also see the appeal of a SNES mini. Why is it that either side needs to be called "stupid"? Why not appreciate both?
I never said "stupid". Read again.

And you can get a good enough setup by the same price you get an SNES Mini.
That is of course, if you are lucky to find one at non-scalper price.
Luckily, Nintendo is stocking more minis now.

Still, call it what you will, the SNES Mini doesn't stop being nothing more of an SNES emulation machine with only 21 games into it.
The controllers are a neat addition and everything, but keep in mind the controllers use the same port as that of the Wiimote, which is not really suitable if you plan on using them on anything else, like PC gaming.

I guarantee you that if it didn't have the "Nintendo" brand over it, people wouldn't even look at the thing.

To me the Mini consoles are not appealing due to 2 reasons:
  1. Shortage of games available
  2. Licensing issues
The second is the worst offender.

Good luck trying to get any 2nd/3rd party games from those consoles on a Mini one.
This might come to light when the N64 Mini hits shelves next year.
People will start seeing that games like Goldeneye 007 or Banjo Kazooie won't be there, we might get lucky if the N64 Mini even gets 20 games at all.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
You think the SNES and NES editions made people crazy?

Wait till we see N64/DC/PS1/GC or Sega Genesis mini editions. (if they happen)

Mostly it is all because of Nostalgia, for me personally my NES and SNES were the Genesis/DC & PS1.

Some people also enjoy the dozens of games that you get included within the system and not to mention the fact that it is tiny so it has that whole "cute" factor going for it too.

Oh and you can hack them i believe so there is that too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/liquid-cooling/intel-and-exxonmobil-working-on-advance...