News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
QUOTE said:
Modding is not fucking copyright!!!!! It was paid, owned, and hacked by YOU!!!! Not SONY, they supply, and THATS IT!!!!!! Not Copyright Infringement!
QUOTE said:
If I buy a console, I own it and can do everything with it I want. I can hack it, lick it, brick it, eat it, sleep with it, disassemble it, burn it and use it as a weapon.
QUOTE said:
I paid for the f*cking device with my own money, it's mine!
QUOTEWhat are you talking about? It's not illegal to hack a device that I bought and own.
Sony is suing geohot because he hacked his bought PS3

These are some quotes from people who I think need enlightenment. Yea I know a company is evil and such if it sues a person who hacked its device. And yes, I get it, all people that claim that they can do everything they want with a device that they bought are completly right. I agree 100%. No doubt about it.

BUT

Here is the difference. All the people that have been sued, havent been sued for hacking a device, no, they have been sued for SHARING informations and tools to the public. GeoHot, graf_chokolo, failoverflow, they all shared informations about the internals of the PS3. Sharing is not hacking and is dangerous because it almost ALWAYS leads to piracy. Just look at the multiple warez launchers/firmwares that have appeard after the PS3 has been hacked and information about it shared. The same goes for the Wii. Without Team Twiizers in the first place, USB loaders would not have been happend.

I say it's hypocritical if hackers say that they dont support piracy but release code and tools and share information that can be used for building piracy apps. There are of course exceptions, but in general, any hacking+sharing leads to piracy. This chart is proof.

As I said, the real cause of the legal proceedings is not hacking, but sharing as companies know, that this in general will lead to piracy, even if the hackers claim that they dont support piracy.

If hackers REALLY dont support piracy, then they should share things, that cannot and will not be used for piracy in the future. In GeoHots case, sharing various PS3 keys was a bad idea as well as fail0verflows explanation how to get those keys. Another bad example is Team Twiizers with its homebrew channel. I get that it' just a launcher for applications, but if the team really doesnt support piracy then they would have done something about it, like blacklisting various piracy apps or deleting warez IOS' at startup etc. Instead they do nothing and treat pirates like "insects". That's not the way piracy should be combated. People over the scene are laughing at them for being the reason of the flourishing of the Wii piracy.

And again, for those of you who still dont understand: Hacking a device you bought is 100% legal, but not public sharing as it leads to piracy.

Now let the flaming and insulting of gbatemp users roll
2uggb9s.jpg

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
You just don't get it.
There are no laws against sharing any of this information! Sharing the information does not make you directly responsible for any piracy. It makes you indirectly responsible. Its still the end user's decision whether to pirate or not. Its the decision of those who make ISO launchers to make them when they are obviously going to lead to piracy (though I have several legal backups on my HDD for my Wii/Gamecube emulators which I can use in thlse launchers legally)

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not their fault people want to pirate.

It's the people that make the APPS and IOS's to pirate. They never intended for piracy, I'm sure. For the people that did make the IOS's possible to do so, than they are to blame.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't think the issue is about people "getting it". It's about whether they give two hoots in hell. Which they obviously do not. The person who discovered the hack can keep it to himself and people will still find a way to do the same thing, anyway.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
What do they really expect though.
They hack a console and expect people won't use it for piracy?
bull****
Pretty much that.

If someone is gonna hack a console, even if they never intended for piracy, their's always gonna be the one that does. And that one person will make is possible for him and others.

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You try to clear something up, but I will try to clearify your clearing: hacking ? cracking.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A hacker is a person who breaks into computers and computer networks for profit, as protest, or sometimes by the motivation of the challenge. The subculture that has evolved around hackers is often referred to as the computer underground but is now an open community.
Other definitions of the word hacker exist that are not related to computer security. They are subject to the long standing hacker definition controversy about the true meaning of hacker. In this controversy, the term hacker is reclaimed by computer programmers who argue that someone breaking into computers is better called cracker, not making a difference between computer criminals ("black hats") and computer security experts ("white hats"). Some white hat hackers claim that they also deserve the title hacker, and that only black hats should be called crackers.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
iOS is a great example of hacking not for piracy. The Cydia appstore is filled with extra tweaks and programs for your device which are entirely legal. I have some cracked apps on my iPod but tbh I barely use them (its a few games I would never have bought anyway). I mainly jailbreak for the freedom it brings me with how the device operates

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
iOS is a great example of hacking not for piracy. The Cydia appstore is filled with extra tweaks and programs for your device which are entirely legal. I have some cracked apps on my iPod but tbh I barely use them (its a few games I would never have bought anyway). I mainly jailbreak for the freedom it brings me with how the device operates
Yeah most things i pirate i would't even buy.
I pirated HG but i still bought the game

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
There are no laws against sharing any of this information!
Actually, there are. That's the entire reason the companies can sue people. You can't publish tools that bypass DRM, it's a DMCA infringement.

iOS hacking gets away with it now because it was specifically listed as an exemption to the DMCA.
http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2010/Librari...-Statement.html

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
True. I hate Apple and their products, but Cydia allows for one to use unnofficial apps such as Osu!, and if that's piracy then I don't know what's legit.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Jamstruth said:
There are no laws against sharing any of this information!
Actually, there are. That's the entire reason the companies can sue people. You can't publish tools that bypass DRM, it's a DMCA infringement.

iOS hacking gets away with it now because it was specifically listed as an exemption to the DMCA.
http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2010/Librari...-Statement.html
Problem is that with that DMCA exemption then all other suits of that kind can be contested with this as a precedent. As long as the team aren't actively producing piracy tools. You can't have something like that apply to some products but not others. It was a really stupid move to just say "Its alright for smartphones, BUT NOT ON ANYTHING ELSE!" Its really insane, why is alright to break Apple's iPod EULA but not any other EULA?

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Adding that clause in made any breach of EULA for non-copyright infringing purposes legal in my opinion, at least in America. Any lawsuit brought up could be contested easily with that in law in my opinion. The problem with the Sony vs Geohot case was that he had the private keys and they were claiming they were copyrighted (hence, not so easily contested).
The main difference is that console homebrew is quite underground and entirely freeware. CYdia is a whole different marketplace hence it was made legal due to the economy it had in its system. It must be quite a significant online store now. No point in making a source of money for the economy illegal when its not really copyright infringing.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hackers put together the interwebs, interwebs gets used for piracy. Hackers put together Linux, Linux is used on tracker sites, so Linux is used for piracy. So, hackers shouldn't share that info?

Sethevere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll bet that the hackers are either terrorist-type A people (i.e. they do it to show that they can) or they feel that what their doing is a blessing to the community.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night