Why do people do fancy remake that has no gameplay?

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just look at the Mario galaxy unreal engine demo, terribly unplayable, movement was too fast and no where close to unity Mario 64 demo which has everything in the original stage with actual environmental interaction.
And some idiots just cheer for them.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think it's mostly because we like the idea vs the actual product. Like it's amazing seeing Mario Galaxy on the unreal engine and would be nice to see the entire game made in that engine, which is why people cheer so much for it.

Reactions: Deleted User

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think it's mostly because we like the idea vs the actual product. Like it's amazing seeing Mario Galaxy on the unreal engine and would be nice to see the entire game made in that engine, which is why people cheer so much for it.
But it did not get platforming right, and how was a game like that to be considered Mario?
Mario jumps a lot more precisely on n64 than on unreal, there is even no goomba in unreal. Unreal just seems failing to get collision right.

Last edited by Yil,

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But it did not get platforming right, and how was a game like that to be considered Mario?

The problem is people just appreciating this way more than gameplay. And gameplay should always come before graphic in a demo. The unity demo is actually playable.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The problem is people just appreciating this way more than gameplay. And gameplay should always come before graphic in a demo. The unity demo is actually playable.
It's called a "Proof of concept." It's just a demonstration of the idea project. Proof of concepts are really nothing more then showing off an engine/idea.
People are excited because it proves that a project can be done.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Just look at the Mario galaxy unreal engine demo, terribly unplayable, movement was too fast and no where close to unity Mario 64 demo which has everything in the original stage with actual environmental interaction.
And some idiots just cheer for them.
That's a terrible example. In fact, you say the reason of its existence in the very first half of your sentence: Just look at the Mario galaxy unreal engine demo
It's a demo. A demo isn't a game but a demonstration. It's meant to draw attention to technical prowess (in this case of the Unreal engine, or the capabilities of the team using said engine). It's in no way a remake or meant like one.

I agree that the ones cheering from them do it for the wrong reasons (meaning: they're idiots). Nintendo only has to snap their fingers if they want to have a team (or even a dozen teams) capable of remaking Mario galaxy in the unreal engine. That isn't the problem, and probably never was the problem to begin with. Those cheering think that a demo will influence nintendo. It doesn't.

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's a terrible example. In fact, you say the reason of its existence in the very first half of your sentence: Just look at the Mario galaxy unreal engine demo
It's a demo. A demo isn't a game but a demonstration. It's meant to draw attention to technical prowess (in this case of the Unreal engine, or the capabilities of the team using said engine). It's in no way a remake or meant like one.

I agree that the ones cheering from them do it for the wrong reasons (meaning: they're idiots). Nintendo only has to snap their fingers if they want to have a team (or even a dozen teams) capable of remaking Mario galaxy in the unreal engine. That isn't the problem, and probably never was the problem to begin with. Those cheering think that a demo will influence nintendo. It doesn't.
In a Pokémon demo charmender's fire was not on the tail and when it breath fire it is not from the mouth. The demo just is not doing anything right and people want the kind of graphic that cannot resemble the original.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't like to repeat myself, so I'll just be extra blunt:

A demo is not a remake.

So...is this thread about fancy demo's that have no gameplay (in which case: see Crystal's previous post as well as mine), or about fancy remakes that have no gameplay?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The problem I have with these "demos" is that for all this show brought out by them, there really isn't anything brought out. The engine is doing all the work (which is expected, but at what cost?), but there's nothing that separates them from anything else. They all are practically the same in demonstration, and that's just boring.

Just today, I saw a video of a person who made a Shantae demonstration. Modeled and animated her, and recreated the environment around her lighthouse (?). Took the person 3 weeks to do that, and that's respectable, but it was the same song and dance that's been done time and time again. Move around, show some animations, that sort of thing.

It just seems people are too focused on how it looks with the engine and aren't doing anything about what makes a game a game, yet proclaim that the actual devs should make a game like that, when they aren't even providing game-like attributes that make it interesting. Moving and jumping around in a collidable environment is all basic handling of the engine.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I feel like you're confusing tech demos with actual game demos.

Practically all of the "XYZ made in Unreal!" or whatever videos aren't actual products. They're not meant to be a "remake" or re-imagining, they're not meant to faithfully reproduce every single gameplay element of a game or anything like that, they're just proof of concept videos showcasing what a company could have done differently if they used Unreal, or whatever other engine someone might make these with.

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Practically all of the "XYZ made in Unreal!" or whatever videos aren't actual products. They're not meant to be a "remake" or re-imagining, they're not meant to faithfully reproduce every single gameplay element of a game or anything like that, they're just proof of concept videos showcasing what a company could have done differently if they used Unreal, or whatever other engine someone might make these with.
I know it is a tech demo. It is just that these individuals are making these visual "impressive" demos that cannot even get basic movement and collision right. And people are prising about them. Just compare the Mario 64 unity demo and Mario galaxy unreal demo and you know what I am talking about. If the unreal cannot get to the level of 64, there is no chance they can do physics as complex as Mario galaxy.
And in actual game demos by actual devs you know what the game is about and what the game play is like, and the last thing you would expect is completed graphics.

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I cringe every time I see these stupid demos, anyone can import a model from another game into unreal 4 and add a lightsource + movement controller.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I know it is a tech demo. It is just that these individuals are making these visual "impressive" demos that cannot even get basic movement and collision right. And people are prising about them. Just compare the Mario 64 unity demo and Mario galaxy unreal demo and you know what I am talking about. If the unreal cannot get to the level of 64, there is no chance they can do physics as complex as Mario galaxy.
And in actual game demos by actual devs you know what the game is about and what the game play is like, and the last thing you would expect is completed graphics.

Reactions: Sakitoshi

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The last visual demo you saw with gameplay made with unreal? Or how about sonic boom made with cry engine?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/