Hardware Why do people call the switch a handheld/portable?

• Thread starter Deleted-401606
  • Start date
  • Views 10,029
  • Replies 135

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes of course, the Switch can be handheld (held in hand, literally), just like the Wii U Gamepad. But it doesn't mean the Switch is an awesome portable console to play in the bus, just like how the Wii U Gamepad is useless without an actual Wii U near it.
A portable machine isn't any less portable if it's not "awesome". But I do think it is awesome. Yesterday, I was playing the Switch in my garden while lounging. The other day I saw someone playing it on the bus. Every day my colleague brings his to work and plays at his desk. People call it a handheld/portable because you can hold it in your hand while playing it and take it anywhere. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't qualify it as handheld/portable.

Drawing from a product known for its portability, I take my laptop many places. When I'm at work, I dock it and have extra screens, a separate keyboard and a separate mouse. Just because I do this doesn't mean I stop describing it as portable.

Handheld: something you can use while held in your hand.
Portable: something you can continue to use when you take it somewhere else.

The Switch is a handheld/portable.

Reactions: VMM

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That's a fair point, it is however a XL edition though. And why wouldn't want to carry it in your pocket? I carry my N3DS (non xl) around in my pocket all the time.
Well, idk about you, but I usually have my cell in my left pocket along with maybe a pack of gum and a couple lens cloths. Right is my wallet and keys as I don't enjoy sitting on lumpy objects. Jacket pockets are too insecure for semi-expensive electronics. Just sensible to use a carry case IMO.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well, idk about you, but I usually have my cell in my left pocket along with maybe a pack of gum and a couple lens cloths. Right is my wallet and keys as I don't enjoy sitting on lumpy objects. Jacket pockets are too insecure for semi-expensive electronics. Just sensible to use a carry case IMO.
Yeah, that's just you. I have my keys and wallet in left, phone and 3ds in right. Bit odd to say you wouldn't carry it in a pocket for that reason tbh.

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mate, i'm a big fella. But it still doesn't fit into my pocket. And in my opinion a handheld needs to be able to fit in your pocket.
Well it does fit in my pocket. It's just the same that a 3DS xL if you put out the joy-cons (I put them in another possition in the same pocket), so I have no problem at all.
It's a handheld for me, then, with your description.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well it does fit in my pocket. It's just the same that a 3DS xL if you put out the joy-cons (I put them in another possition in the same pocket), so I have no problem at all.
It's a handheld for me, then, with your description.
It's not the same size as a N3DS XL actually. Without the joycons it's the same length but not the same width. If it fits in your pockets then you have enormous ones, since N3DS XL is hard to fit into a pocket (given that its a XL edition) and switch is even bigger.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, that's just you. I have my keys and wallet in left, phone and 3ds in right. Bit odd to say you wouldn't carry it in a pocket for that reason tbh.
Well, I really don't like to carry many things in my pockets anyway. It is uncomfortable.
I carried my 3DS on kind of a laptop/messenger bag always. The same bag where I carry books anyway.
And putting the Switch there is just like putting another book.

PS: So, I suppose it depends on the person, but for me it is as portable as a book, as I said.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's just that typically if you're gonna use your portable it's for a 30 minute session or more, it's not an immediate need like having access to phone calls and texts. It's no more a burden to leave the case in the car and pull the console out of the case when necessary. Pockets and cases are both valid transportation for portables, and always have been. Pretty sure there are about zero portables throughout history you couldn't buy cases for.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Drawing from a product known for its portability, I take my laptop many places. When I'm at work, I dock it and have extra screens, a separate keyboard and a separate mouse. Just because I do this doesn't mean I stop describing it as portable.
Funnily, there's one of my laptop that I don't describe as "portable" (and not handheld either obviously). It has a very stupid battery range and otherwise needs a power supply that weighs the same as the laptop itself, which obviously isn't only 500g...

Anyway, I just felt like the post I quoted put stuff under the carpet but I was not arguing in favor of handheld/porable. I'm not interested in the debate. I mean, "home video game console" vs "handheld video game console"? To be any of these, you need games first, so I may join the debate once Splatoon 2 comes out but not before then. Plus the fact that, instead of arguing what's that console we are all playing on, we should just realize how Nintendo managed to put us all together, home console lovers and handheld/portable lovers to enjoy the same (future) game library.

Reactions: McHaggis

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not the same size as a N3DS XL actually. Without the joycons it's the same length but not the same width. If it fits in your pockets then you have enormous ones, since N3DS XL is hard to fit into a pocket (given that its a XL edition) and switch is even bigger.
It's mostly the same. And no, sorry, my pockets are really normal. At least where I leave I mean. I can confirm I am not the only one that does this. And yes, I have my phone, my wallet and the keys of my house in the other one.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be so amazing if Nintendo went back to being the powerhouse that they were while still keeping themselves unique with features like HD rumble and their joy-cons. With their catalog of first party they would be the desirable choice among the other 2 and if hardware power was truly equal or greater there would be no incentive to go for the others. 3rd party would actually be able to develop for the system and not worry about not having enough specs for their needs.

This is nothing short of a pipe dream, I wouldn't ever expect Nintendo to go back to being the top dog that they used to be.

Last edited by raulpica, , Reason: Removed quote -rp
Reactions: Deleted-401606

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Up to know it looks far from a downfall, to the point if I were to try not being a smartass I would say "may be its own downfall" to make it clear it is my opinion and not anything I try to pass as a fact that is going against the currently measurable numbers and stats.
i simply say downfall for the part that it will be another system lacking third party support - which bring majority of the best/new titles to consoles.

its only doing well because people think its something innovative..... they cant see past this copied tablet idea and see what it actually is.

i can bet both of my testicles that this will not improve third party support like nintendo promised yet again (theyve been saying that since the n64), this will be its downfall and we all know nintendo will again be first to release its next console.

i mean the thing cant even compete with the last gen, and what about sony/ms's next gen.

remind ourselves of this, why did the wii never get the great AAA titles the PS3/360 had, why was some of these then ported to the wii u, why did the wii u die practically instantly, what gives people the impression the switch will different.

i would happily love nintendo again if it started up holiding its promise of better third party support giving more option of what to play other than the same nintendo crap.

but anyways to the point again, its not a home console its a tablet clone, its no more of a console than my tablet/phone is.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Funnily, there's one of my laptop that I don't describe as "portable" (and not handheld either obviously). It has a very stupid battery range and otherwise needs a power supply that weighs the same as the laptop itself, which obviously isn't only 500g...
Yeah, some laptops do stretch the definition of portable.

Anyway, I just felt like the post I quoted put stuff under the carpet but I was not arguing in favor of handheld/porable. I'm not interested in the debate. I mean, "home video game console" vs "handheld video game console"? To be any of these, you need games first, so I may join the debate once Splatoon 2 comes out but not before then. Plus the fact that, instead of arguing what's that console we are all playing on, we should just realize how Nintendo managed to put us all together, home console lovers and handheld/portable lovers to enjoy the same (future) game library.
Indeed, it doesn't really matter whether you regard it as a home console or a portable console. The fact is you have a choice in how you use it, and that can only be a good thing.

Reactions: Hayleia

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Pretty sure there are about zero portables throughout history you couldn't buy cases for.
What does that have to do with anything? Cases are more for protection than carrying. Every other handheld is significantly smaller than the switch. Even when you don't count the joycons.
It's mostly the same. And no, sorry, my pockets are really normal. At least where I leave I mean. I can confirm I am not the only one that does this. And yes, I have my phone, my wallet and the keys of my house in the other one.
Mate, a big complaint of the N3DS XL has always been that its hard to carry around, and the switch is even wider (which matters most when it comes to fitting in a pocket, lengthwise it can stick out a bit)

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mate, a big complaint of the N3DS XL has always been that its hard to carry around, and the switch is even wider (which matters most when it comes to fitting in a pocket, lengthwise it can stick out a bit)
I'm just saying it does fits. You can complain, but this is the truth. Or at least, it's one true you should consider.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm just saying it does fits. You can complain, but this is the truth. Or at least, it's one true you should consider.
And i'm saying you're either full of shit or your pockets are really unusual. There's articles written about how the switch isn't going to fit into the standard pockets even. It simply does not fit into the standard pocket.

I mean, they literally called a ton of them "carrying cases," but that's none of my business...:ph34r:
Those are for putting your games and accessories into alongside the handheld though.

Last edited by dimmidice,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Sure, but that's a whole other discussion. Doesn't have anything to do with the size of the handheld itself.
I only replied in the first place because you said it's not truly a portable if it doesn't fit in your pocket, but people have been using carrying cases for portables from the beginning. Switch is no different in that regard. Hell, it's smaller than Gamegear, or at least how I remember it. That also required a case.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The gamegear was fat as fuck, but well... You had to acommodate the dozen of batteries it needed to work for 1 hour somewhere... And also it was good to carry it in a backpack together with four more dozens of batteries to play for more than an hour.

Meanwhile Duracell rejoiced.

Reactions: Xzi and mightymuffy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: