Homebrew Question Why do i need the keys.txt to convert .XCI to .NSP

rbakaou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,ust Wondering why i need the keys.txt to convert XCI to nsp with 4NWCI. There is some crypto as i heard but the xci I have 2 switchs . does it mean it won't work on the second one ? and if i can convert them to NSP are these NSP specific to my first switch ?

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
games are encrypted using masterkey and these keys are same for every switch systems, so that means your converted nsp will work just fine on another switch
the reason why not just put the keys in the app itself so users don't need to provide their own (as they're the same keys) is because the keys are copyrighted by nintendo so it would be illegal to distribute an app with keys in it

Reactions: klear

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's right it just needs keys from a Switch not each Switch. Should have known that since there are nsps you can download on pirate sites that don't need keys.

rbakaou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for your answer Garou. I kinda get it, bit not fully. Is this like the ssh key encryption system? with private and public keys.

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your answer Garou. I kinda get it, bit not fully. Is this like the ssh key encryption system? with private and public keys.
not really sure but I think it's a symmetric encryption (AES) instead of public/private key (asymmetric)

rbakaou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Then why does XCI decryption doesn't work on 6.2 if you have the keys. and 4NWCI works on windows it should not be a probleme. Does it means backups xci done with 6.2 are not unencryptable. and if so how to tell which version of the firemware the xci was done with. Sorry a lot of question in my mind.

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over