Why do I have 4 GB free of space on Sky3ds but only 1.6GB usuable?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Christian Rosado, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Christian Rosado
    OP

Christian Rosado GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Says Free space 4692MB but largest free block is 1688MB so I cant write the game I want. Everytime I delete a game from sd card free space gets bigger however largest free block barely goes up. IS this some sort of bug with diskwriter? 1.06

2. Christian Rosado
    OP

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    See:

Attached Files:

3. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Sounds like a fake SD card that is displaying more space then the card actually has backup anything important on it format in windows and run it through h2test not sure if sky needs exfat or fat32, format the card to what sky3ds uses.

4. Christian Rosado
    OP

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    No, cuz I had 29 GB of games on it. But when I started to delete some to make space for xenoblade it started acting like that. Ive been using it for a while, but it started to do that today.

5. bostonBC

bostonBC GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 17, 2011
    United States
    Backup all the saves, reformat and recopy.

6. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Then it could be defective or has fragmentation errors h2testw will tell you what you need to know
    use the write+verify option

7. Christian Rosado
    OP

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    I reformatted and now all games fit on it. Now as soon as I delete a game largest free space starts to be smaller that actual free space. Which is a pain, cuz I have to reformat the whole thing to get that free space back.

8. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Don't wanna sound like a broken record but I told you what you can do to find out what the problem is

9. Christian Rosado
    OP

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Yes Im trying, I slected drive F but it just wont open. Shows 0 bytes now.

10. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    can you screen cap?
    Open your connected devices where it shows your removable disks and remember what drive your sd card is. then select it in h2testw
    Like this [​IMG]

11. ChaosX1022

ChaosX1022 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 24, 2010
    United States
    Snowwood
    You have to use the optimizer which backs it up for you and frees up the remaining space.

12. KeyMan

KeyMan Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2007
    What ChaosX1022 says is correct. You don't have a bad/fake SD card. Sky3DS writes the game to the card in RAW format (that's what the format option does to the SD card) and doesn't allow fragmented files like a traditional file system (FAT/NTFS). Files are written sequentially and contiguously so for example (that's what the start/end sector means in diskwriter), if you had a 2GB card:

File 1 = 700mb
    File 2 = 300mb
    File 3 = 800mb
    Free space = Approx. 200mb

If you delete File 2, you will have a total of 500mb free space however that 500mb is split between two chunks, the biggest file you can write will be in the 300mb space that File 2 used to take up.

To solve this, you will have to reformat the card and rewrite your games to it or run the optimiser option.

foolalay likes this.