why do dvd format take more space than avi?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by drcrappants, Feb 14, 2010.

Feb 14, 2010
  1. drcrappants
    OP

Newcomer drcrappants Member

United States
    just wondering, i had a bunch of 350mb files, and i could pretty much fit 12 of those files in a 4.3gb space. however, the conversion process to dvd format so a dvd reader can read it only fits 6 files (half). is there a reason everything got twice as big???

also, can i do this:
    make iso from a bunch of .avi's using imgburn or poweriso
    burn iso into dvd
    put in dvd reader and watch on tv?

or do i have to do a conversion first?

2. NoSmokingBandit

Member NoSmokingBandit GBAtemp Fan

United States
    AVI is a heavily compressed format, kinda like Mp3s compare to Wav files. When you make a dvd from avi files it converts them into VOB files, which arent compressed much at all, and consequently take up a ton more space, but are higher quality.
    A lot of modern dvd players can play avi files, you just burn them to a dvd without making a dvd movie using whatever burn app you use. You'd have to check the specs of your dvd player (or just make a dvd, the worst thing you can do is waste a $0.15 dvd).

An ISO is just a single file containing everything on a dvd. Think of it like a folder that holds the dvds contents, but its stored as a single file so its easier to manage.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Almost a final answer, but the video format within an AVI file can vary, and usually DVD players only play the more common formats, such as Divx/Xvid. An AVI file (especially some anime, those encoders absolutely love to do non-standard shit for some reason) can contain over 10 different video formats, so the file might not play correctly even though it's AVI. The free program Gspot will be able to tell you what video type is in the AVI.

4. NoSmokingBandit

Member NoSmokingBandit GBAtemp Fan

United States
    ^^Good point. AVI is just a container and can support several different codecs. You'll just have to look in your dvd player's manual to see what codecs it supports, drcrappants.