Hacking Why did you buy the first flash cart you bought?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have, sitting on my desk:

an iTouchDS, my first flashcart.
an R4 (1:1 clone) that I got for free from ZhuZhuChina.
a DSTWO (actually have two, bought one, won one from tempmas)
and an R4 SDHC Dual Core 2013 White edition (r4isdhc.com) that I got from eachgame on sale just for shits n giggles.

The DSTWO is obviously my primary card, but looking back at my other ones, why did I end up buying that iTouchDS? Why did I choose that over the myriad other cards out there, like a cheap R4 clone, the DS ONE, or anything else like that? I know money played a factor in it, but it's not like the iTouchDS was "cheap", I think it was $20 when I got mine.

I heard about it somewhere. Probably here. But I can only look back and wonder why I didn't research more and get a better card.

It DID last me quite a while, but updates were always slow for it, and the M3 team ultimately died in the end, leaving it useless (already had my DSTWO though by that point). But the iTouchDS SUCKED. Terrible kernel and interface.

What about you guys?

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
1st cart: EDGE - I didn't know ANYTHING about flashcarts back then. And this was the popular one (well, the stores selling em didn't carry others since the R4 was out of date). Wasn't too active on GBATemp either. And I did ZERO research. Though it was fun while it lasted. Was a pretty solid basic cart.

2nd cart: Acekard 2i - My EDGE was not working as well as it used to. So having experience and way more knowledge, I went with AK2i since it was still pretty good then. And it was cheap. And I didn't care for firmware updates as it was for my DSlite. And then I snagged a DSiXL for a bargain. Though I don't use the eShop and do not update my DSiXL, AK's lack of updates was a tad disappointing. But meh.

3rd cart: SC DSTwo (GBATemp ver) - Totally unplanned. When TwinRetro organised that competition, that jackass in me suddenly wanted one. Of course I didn't win one but I saw one Temper selling hers so I went for it. Sure, it works the same as a regular one but you gotta admit, it feels pretty awesome to have a limited edition. Scumbag brain is killing my wallet with its cravings for premium stuff :\

So yea. That's pretty much it. I don't plan to get any more any time soon.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm in the process of buying microSDs for and prepping all of my cards with their latest kernels.

"Buying" meaning I just bought a likely counterfeit 2GB microSD off of ebay for $2.75 for my R4 that I plan to use infrequently. I just gotta get my iTouchDS set up now, and maybe my other DSTWO as well, then my EZ Flash IV.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My first flashcard I bought was a Game n Music, if that counts, I bought it from Wal Mart because it looked interesting.
After I found out there were flashcards that could actually play ROMs, I bought the M3 Real from some German site...it's long gone now.
After that I won a Supercard DSOnei here on the Temp and started my Flashcard collection.
My boyfriend bought me the DSTwo and Acekard 2i for my birthday and my brother bought an R4 all from Shoptemp back when it sold flashcards.
Then I bought an R4i Gold when my Acekard 2i started acting up.
And last my DSTT I got as a gift from DinohScene.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first flashcard I bought was a Game n Music, if that counts, I bought it from Wal Mart because it looked interesting.
After I found out there were flashcards that could actually play ROMs, I bought the M3 Real from some German site...it's long gone now.
After that I won a Supercard DSOnei here on the Temp and started my Flashcard collection.
My boyfriend bought me the DSTwo and Acekard 2i for my birthday and my brother bought an R4 all from Shoptemp back when it sold flashcards.
Then I bought an R4i Gold when my Acekard 2i started acting up.
And last my DSTT I got as a gift from DinohScene.

Our resident M3 king never had an iTouchDS? :O I could have sworn you did at one point.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I bought an EZVi awhile back. I knew the cart was dying but the hardware and software features seemed nice.
Plus the kernal was fairly easy to alter even without a source.
Despite the crappy RTsave, I'd say it was neat with its integrated features and moonshell2 support.
I'll never forget watching The Walking Dead S1-S3 on my DSi. It was amazing. (Though the show sucked ass, I used it to consume airplane/trip time)

TheRedfox

blep
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My first flashcard was a M3DS Real, for playing my "legit backups" :rolleyes:
Oh god i loved that thing; at some point it was even better than the ak2i i have now!
Loved when they gave us the sakura software with RTS and some other stuff(what my acekard doesn't have), it was just sad when the M3 team disappeared :(
I should buy a SCDS2 now :/

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My first DS flashcart was a SuperCard DS One. I got it because I'd heard good things about SC and the R4 was still rather new at the time.
Over time though it turned out to not be that good, so I got an R4 and was happy with that for a very long time.
When the CycloDS became the #1 flashcart I got one of those for all the extra features it had, and loved it.
However, when I got a 3DS I had to get a new flashcart, I got a CycloDS iEvo thinking it would work, not realizing TC was already dead, but I used my brother's DSi to switch it into DSi mode so it would work on the 3DS. Shortly after that I got an ak2i.
Now I have a DSTWO which I got not too long ago, and it's great. Even better than the CycloDS was during its glory days.

As far as GBA flashcarts go, I started out with an ExtremeFlashAdvance II as I wanted a flush fitting cart, which the memory card based carts at the time weren't. Used that for a long time, it worked well but had limited storage space and ROMs had to be flashed to NOR to play which took a long time.
A while after that, not long before I upgraded my DS Phat to a Lite, I got an EZIV, which was better but lacked RTS.
When I got a DS lite (upgraded from the Phat) I didn't want to use the GBA sized carts anymore so I got a 3-in-1 after a while and used that until I got a 3DS.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I got the AK2i because Wikipedia's info on flash carts indicated it was a recent model and passed firmware 1.4. Then when getting it to find it wasn't updated, I googled for info, and found GBATemp. Then I got an R4i Gold as part of the review, and then a (GBATemp) DSTwo for the extra features.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my first card was a flash2advance card 128mbit (16 MB) for gameboy advance. I just it in 2002 i think, That thing can hold about 2-4 games or 1 larger one and I remember it took like 3-5 minutes to copy some games, didn't use microsd, or the simple drag n drop technology that we have now. I originally got it so I can hold many games on one cartridge (little did I know it could only hold a few). I remember this damn thing costing me like $200. The cool thing about that cart is it was one of the few carts to support Pokemon games when used with GameCube for the Pokemon coliseum games, as they more closely emulated the real game carts, rather than what we have now, with the rom menus and stuff

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Mediaplayer_02.jpg

My first FlashCart. My mom bought it from Walmart back in the days of the NDS. She bought it because it was for Music and Movies(As advertised and explained by the electronic guy) in the NDS and she thought it was cool.
But none knew the secret of it not even I knew. I found the real use of it when I was searching if it has a software update or something and looking how to put videos on it, on the internet and also found GBATemp. Lol Walmart selling FlashCarts.

Reactions: Sicklyboy
D

Deleted User

Mine was an M3, my brother wanted me to get a flashcard cause they were cool^^
then an SCDSOneI because I wanted to play on my DSI and Real Time Cheat sounded awesome.
Then the SCDS2 Because it is awesome.

But I sold all my elder cards to friends

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Assuming some of the more exotic things I might have had for the amiga, C64 and whatnot do not count (though some of that only needed a dual tape deck) then I think we are back on the PS1 with modchips.

After that I vanished for a few years save for the occasional bit of emulation and came back on the GBA where I got a nice 256Mbit EZ2 as it seemed like the logical progression from emulation and at the time it represented the best price-performance for my budget (some $140 US).
After this I have usually been given carts to review or grabbed them when they get old but still good enough for my purposes.

As a result of this complaining about prices for modding equipment that is south of $200 has never really seemed that useful an idea and I actively avoid buying cheap and nasty modding equipment. As a result I have had a wonderful time with all modding stuff I have had.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
was a ds linker with 2 gb internal storage. because they sold it on amazon and thats pretty much all i was allowed to order from.

worked quite well even though it wasnt updated anymore when i got it, appart from a handful of titles, you could get almost every game running on it. haven't been using it a lot after i won a better flashcard a year ago

oh, i remember getting a really bad one for gba before that... only had 64mb (basically could only hold 2 games at a time either way) and could only be written to with some slow software.
cost almost 150DM... and stopped working after a year, contact issue i guess
still wish it was working though, never got another gba flashcard :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.